Battlefield V

Norm

On 8/21/2018 at 6:58 PM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I don't see any reason why people would continue pre-ordering an EA game anyways at this point.

Get beta access for certain. They you can cancel if that sucks. Places like Amazon, doing this will never cost you a dime. 

Some people are lunatics who go crazy if they can't unlock EVERYTHING so they want the bonuses too I guess. 

Pre ordering at places that don't charge until release isn't this great evil. It just gauges their sales. Now, possibly, there's going to be less money funneled into the early live service model even if actual sales on release might end up being high. EA is impossible to trust but all the consumer cry babying isn't helping as much as they think either. 

On 8/21/2018 at 2:35 PM, showtime said:

Okay and when this game is deemed to be a failure because a pretty big majority of people won't buy it for this and other reasons, what then?

I'll enjoy the game with all the other non bigots. Sounds great honestly. 

8 hours ago, Norm said:

Get beta access for certain. They you can cancel if that sucks. Places like Amazon, doing this will never cost you a dime. 

Some people are lunatics who go crazy if they can't unlock EVERYTHING so they want the bonuses too I guess. 

Pre ordering at places that don't charge until release isn't this great evil. It just gauges their sales. Now, possibly, there's going to be less money funneled into the early live service model even if actual sales on release might end up being high. EA is impossible to trust but all the consumer cry babying isn't helping as much as they think either. 

You're exactly right.  You gave the example of Amazon.... where you can pre-order the game to get into the beta early and they will not charge you a penny.... yet people are still not pre-ordering the game.  This is also true on Xbox.  On PSN, if you pre-order, you'll be charged which is so dumb, but that's another issue.

I keep saying this, people can say what they want or try to act like this isn't a big deal, but it is.  Battlefield is a triple A game and if the sales are poor or even if the sales don't live up to expectations then that might hurt the game in the long run.

85%.... that number is incredible

45 minutes ago, showtime said:

You're exactly right.  You gave the example of Amazon.... where you can pre-order the game to get into the beta early and they will not charge you a penny.... yet people are still not pre-ordering the game.  This is also true on Xbox.  On PSN, if you pre-order, you'll be charged which is so dumb, but that's another issue.

I keep saying this, people can say what they want or try to act like this isn't a big deal, but it is.  Battlefield is a triple A game and if the sales are poor or even if the sales don't live up to expectations then that might hurt the game in the long run.

85%.... that number is incredible

Yeah Origin on PC charges right away too I think. I've only done it RIGHT before release and it's charged me. I hadn't heard this 85% until this thread. Kinda crazy. 

I just think it goes both ways more than people realize. Meaning, don't buy and we win. It's a business. They'll just make cheaper games, imo. With fewer updates, Support, etc. Then the franchise dies and it's another thing a company killed. That's not saying they're a good company or any game is great either. But the idea that crappy sales automatically means they'll make better games doesn't seem to work.

11 minutes ago, Norm said:

Yeah Origin on PC charges right away too I think. I've only done it RIGHT before release and it's charged me. I hadn't heard this 85% until this thread. Kinda crazy. 

I just think it goes both ways more than people realize. Meaning, don't buy and we win. It's a business. They'll just make cheaper games, imo. With fewer updates, Support, etc. Then the franchise dies and it's another thing a company killed. That's not saying they're a good company or any game is great either. But the idea that crappy sales automatically means they'll make better games doesn't seem to work.

Well, I've been saying that crappy sales means the game will be worse.  Look at Battlefront 2.  I know that game had disappointing sales because of another issue, but it's the same principle.  If the game is deemed to be a flop then it will be supported less.  Less support = shorter lifespan.  So yes, I agree, bad sales doesn't mean the games will be better.

11 minutes ago, showtime said:

Well, I've been saying that crappy sales means the game will be worse.  Look at Battlefront 2.  I know that game had disappointing sales because of another issue, but it's the same principle.  If the game is deemed to be a flop then it will be supported less.  Less support = shorter lifespan.  So yes, I agree, bad sales doesn't mean the games will be better.

You're one of very few that's ever agreed with me on this haha

1 hour ago, Norm said:

You're one of very few that's ever agreed with me on this haha

I think people look at cases like The Division and Battlefront 2 among many others.  Once the game was deemed a flop and the majority of people stopped playing, the game was then fixed and adjusted to where it should have been from the very start. 

1 hour ago, showtime said:

I think people look at cases like The Division and Battlefront 2 among many others.  Once the game was deemed a flop and the majority of people stopped playing, the game was then fixed and adjusted to where it should have been from the very start. 

The division has gotten sooo much better. 

3 hours ago, Norm said:

But the idea that crappy sales automatically means they'll make better games doesn't seem to work.

Au contraire, if companies know they can't get away with something, they won't do it. Look at Battlefront II. That game sold way fewer copies than the first (reboot) Battlefront game, and what happened? EA got rid of loot boxes, all Star Cards are earned through progression and all MTXs are up front cosmetic only, so it DID make a difference. Hell, Activi$ion is the only company still using the outdated model of charging for maps after Fortnite proved you can make a buttload of money off of free DLC and paid cosmetics, and boy are they ever this year by locking DLC behind a season pass that you can only get with a $100 SE. 

On 8/21/2018 at 5:34 PM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

1. Previous games salted fans (loot boxes, especially Battlefront 2)

2. EA as a whole

3. Squeezing yourself in with COD and Red Dead Redemption

Are all massive factors here. Having women as a protagonist would be like item #5223 on the list of reasons why someone wouldn't buy the game.

Those first two points are basically one and the same, but like I said, Patrick Soderlund insulting the fans didn't help, either. You can't be doing that in hopes of selling your game, especially a game that's already facing backlash.

Also, any objections people may have with women being in the game have more to do with a woman with a prosthetic arm and a spiked baseball bat and a soldier carrying a katana in a WW2 setting than there simply being women in the game.  

57 minutes ago, KManX89 said:

Au contraire, if companies know they can't get away with something, they won't do it. Look at Battlefront II. That game sold way fewer copies than the first (reboot) Battlefront game, and what happened? EA got rid of loot boxes, all Star Cards are earned through progression and all MTXs are up front cosmetic only, so it DID make a difference. Hell, Activi$ion is the only company still using the outdated model of charging for maps after Fortnite proved you can make a buttload of money off of free DLC and paid cosmetics, and boy are they ever this year by locking DLC behind a season pass that you can only get with a $100 SE. 

If that's what you want to believe lol. You're taking down the big bad EA. So brave!

BFV is being **** on and still has free dlc and not p2w MTXs. But it's not selling. Because they can't get away with cooties in games? I would listen to you people if I thought you were impartial. But you aren't. Your type just looks for the bad in everything so they can go to war. It's so played out. 

They start attempting to destroy these games the second they are announced. They don't care. 

I swear they just need to feel like they"made a difference" by fighting big bad companies. My life isn't that shallow luckily. 

The gaming community in general has gotten so melodramatic over the last couple of years. If you look at Reddit it appears like gaming in 2018 is more about consumer uprisings, boycotts and witch hunts than playing games and having a fun time. It’s depressing and it’s why I usually don‘t spend my time around gaming communities at all these days.

Stole this from a Redditor. So accurate.

I remember having so many broken *** games as a kid and we still found ways to enjoy them and nobody was trying to lynch those who made them.

On 8/23/2018 at 8:14 AM, Scalamania said:

I think this is the part of the argument that is going unnoticed by most. People in general are not pre-ordering games anymore and the majority of gamers will not pre-order anything made by EA. 

This. The whole superficial woman controversy is a non-sequitur for why this game has shockingly low pre-order numbers. Gamers' lack of trust in EA, releasing in between BO4 and RDR2 and Patrick Soderlund insulting the fans are far bigger reasons for this game's pre-order numbers than women being in the game. Plus, like I said, any objections people may have with it have more to do with having a woman with a prosthetic arm and a spiked baseball bat and a soldier with a katana in a WW2 setting than superficial "muh inclusivity" reasons. Sure, maybe there are some sexist d!ckheads ripping the game just for featuring women, but look at Overwatch, Life is Strange, NieR Automata, Assassin's Creed: Odyssey, Hellblade, etc., all games featuring women and none of em got anywhere near the kind of backlash this game has.

Archived