Battlefield V

Norm

18 minutes ago, showtime said:

How do you get a beta key?  Is it just random?

It's random to some degree. My understanding is you just needed to own one of the last 3 or 4 games on my Origin acc and it'll randomly email you one. IDK how random it is though. I've NEVER missed an alpha or beta from bf3 on. 

• 1 month later...

There's another alpha happening this week.  Going to be PC only and private again.  I really wish they would make it so people who pre-order can play it.  I don't really care about the opinions of 'famous' YouTubers who will just talk the game up because DICE is giving them the game free.

Hopefully the beta coming in September will be for everyone to play.

3 hours ago, showtime said:

I think they made a mistake including women in this game.  The backlash they are getting from this is pretty amazing and something they probably couldn't see coming.  People are still complaining about it and dislike it.

This is the first I’ve heard about it. Are people complaining about historical accuracy/women on the battlefield, that you’re killing women, or something else?

36 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

This is the first I’ve heard about it. Are people complaining about historical accuracy/women on the battlefield, that you’re killing women, or something else?

It is the same people that are outraged that swastikas aren't in the game, complaining about historical accuracy. 

3 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

It is the same people that are outraged that swastikas aren't in the game, complaining about historical accuracy. 

Gotcha. I can see where they're coming from, but I get it from a game developer standpoint. Interesting that you mention swastikas, since Germany recently lifted their ban on swastikas in video games. What the Nazis did was atrocious to say the least, but it is a part of history and I don't think that it should be a taboo subject. It should be taught and learned from. But that's a whole other subject I won't continue on.

It's too bad Dice won't say it's alternate universe kind of like Man in the High Castle. You can then have that historical freedom and you aren't as likely to get people complaining.

Just now, kingseanjohn said:

Gotcha. I can see where they're coming from, but I get it from a game developer standpoint. Interesting that you mention swastikas, since Germany recently lifted their ban on swastikas in video games. What the Nazis did was atrocious to say the least, but it is a part of history and I don't think that it should be a taboo subject. It should be taught and learned from. But that's a whole other subject I won't continue on.

It is still an actively used hate symbol. Should we start throwing the N-word around too, for historical accuracy?

It would be a completely moronic move from a PR standpoint, while adding absolutely nothing to the game. 

1 hour ago, Heimdallr said:

It is still an actively used hate symbol. Should we start throwing the N-word around too, for historical accuracy?

It would be a completely moronic move from a PR standpoint, while adding absolutely nothing to the game. 

This will be my last post on the subject to avoid any mod actions. But honestly, if you're going for historical accuracy, then yes. The nazis used the swastika as their symbol and it is associated with them, despite previous, non-hate related uses. In games where you fight against WW2 Germans, but not call them Nazis, it is almost white washing to me. Having Nazis/swastikas isn't glorifying their symbol/actions, but rather portraying who the group actually was/is. Pretending it didn't exist won't make the atrocities go away. As far as the hateful word in question, if the media is being portrayed in a historically accurate depiction of the era, then yes, use it tactfully. Many tv shows/movies have done so where it made an impact and helped show how bad that era was for some. But using it for the sake of using it isn't warranted.

I'm a believer that those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it. So I'm all for the education of the past so we can learn from it and hopefully not repeat the mistakes of our ancestors. Ignoring and avoiding that past can create ignorance and I for one want to avoid that. If you want to talk about it more, I might reply in PM. But this isn't really a debate for this forum.

For me, this is just a game. I don't play it for the historical accuracy as I don't expect to learn anything about the world's history from it. If this was a documentary or DICE/EA came out and said it was 100% accurate, then I'd have an issue. As I said before, I think they should come out and say it's an alternate timeline/universe to try and  avoid any controversy in the future. But whether they do or don't, I don't care.

1 hour ago, kingseanjohn said:

For me, this is just a game. I don't play it for the historical accuracy as I don't expect to learn anything about the world's history from it. If this was a documentary or DICE/EA came out and said it was 100% accurate, then I'd have an issue. As I said before, I think they should come out and say it's an alternate timeline/universe to try and  avoid any controversy in the future. But whether they do or don't, I don't care.

Agreed

This game shouldn't 100% be about historical accuracy because it's not a documentary - it's a video game.  I would only understand a game being 100% historically accurate if the game play itself was based on real life... meaning if you get shot in the head with any weapon you instantly die and so on.  The game play itself is arcade style, so why does the game have to be historically accurate?

The main argument is that DICE is forcing their own narrative down people's throats and trying to please people.  That's one of the main complaints as to why people are so upset.

15 hours ago, showtime said:

I think they made a mistake including women in this game.  The backlash they are getting from this is pretty amazing and something they probably couldn't see coming.  People are still complaining about it and dislike it.

Okay, so I dont play Battlefield, but I opened the thread just to see if people were talking about this, since there are alot of vids on Youtube about it Ive been seeing.

Personally, I dont think its a big deal that women are in it, because as someone stated, its a game that can be based in an alternate reality...plus, ITS A GAME and you should be there to play it.....not really learn from it.

HOWEVER....the outrage IMO is similar to the reasons why people are annoyed with Hollywood....because the forcing of females into certain things has worn thin because its not being done to enhance the experience....its being done to push an agenda.    And no, its not a sexist thing whatsoever (for most people anyway) because there are alot of widely loved games with female characters.   But looking at the ad campaign for Battlefield, its pretty clear what they are doing.

15 hours ago, showtime said:

This game shouldn't 100% be about historical accuracy because it's not a documentary - it's a video game.  I would only understand a game being 100% historically accurate if the game play itself was based on real life... meaning if you get shot in the head with any weapon you instantly die and so on.  The game play itself is arcade style, so why does the game have to be historically accurate?

The main argument is that DICE is forcing their own narrative down people's throats and trying to please people.  That's one of the main complaints as to why people are so upset.

And those people can, with all due respect, go kick rocks if they're that upset about a video game including women or disabled being included.

3 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

And those people can, with all due respect, go kick rocks if they're that upset about a video game including women or disabled being included.

Okay and when this game is deemed to be a failure because a pretty big majority of people won't buy it for this and other reasons, what then?

46 minutes ago, showtime said:

Okay and when this game is deemed to be a failure because a pretty big majority of people won't buy it for this and other reasons, what then?

It won't be.

If this game fails, it will have literally nothing to do with them featuring a woman as a protagonist.

Archived