Tennis Thread

DoleINGout

A quick shout-out to the randoms who inadvertently completely changed the GOAT debates with random, epic upsets.

Federer: David Nalbandian, Sergiy Stakhovsky (what?), Tommy Robredo (oy), Andreas Seppi (wow), Milos Raonic, Kevin Anderson, John Millman (huh?), Grigor Dmitrov, and Hubert Hurkacz

Nadal: Mikhail Youzhny, Fernando Gonzalez, Robin Soderling, Lukas Rosol (how?), Nick Kyrgios (hahaha), Dustin Brown (I mean...), Fabio Fagnini (isn't he an actor/model?), Fernando Verdasco, Lucas Pouille (hmm), Gilles Mueller (yikes), Dominic Thiem

Djokovic: Kei Nishikori, Sam Querrey (whoah), Denis Istomin (yuck), Dominic Thiem, Marco Cecchinato (uhh), Thiem again

Shoutout to the not so randoms: Andy Murray, Stan Wawrinka, Marat Safin, Juan Martin Del Potro, Marin Colic, David Ferrer, Stefanos Tsitsipas, Jo-Willy Tsonga and Tomas Berdych. Almost all upsets, but not crazy upsets.

• Like 1

Put some respect in Nalbandians name, he was a great player, one of the best to never win a slam. 
Berdych, Del Potro, Nadal, Djokovic, Federer, he beat all of them in a row to win madrid. 
shout out to verdasco for that AO semi vs nadal, up there with the best matches ive ever seen, and soderling who was unlucky with illness. 

Amazing win by Rafa, his strategic game is top notch, he hung on despite being pressured so much more on his serve all match. Med is a great player, but i don't think he'll dominate the slams any time soon. Rafa and Djoko still have some juice left.

1 hour ago, ifeelasleep said:

Put some respect in Nalbandians name, he was a great player, one of the best to never win a slam. 
Berdych, Del Potro, Nadal, Djokovic, Federer, he beat all of them in a row to win madrid. 

Really good player, but him beating Federer was a big upset. Federer had just won Wimbledon and Nalbandian wasn't exactly known for performing well at the US Open. He only made it past the 3rd round 1 other time there.

1 hour ago, ifeelasleep said:

shout out to verdasco for that AO semi vs nadal, up there with the best matches ive ever seen, and soderling who was unlucky with illness.

Agreed. Verdasco was really fun to watch. That Nadal-Verdasco match looked like they were playing ping pong with the amount of spin they were using.

Same with Soderling, who just sent missiles from the baseline and didn't care who he pissed off.

The schedule is crazy dont know how they keep it up all year.
Theres a bunch of clay court tournaments in Feb: Cordoba, Buenos Aires, Santiago, Rio, all in south america. Last year there were some in march too, clay court season has been getting extended from Feb to Paris. Id like some more grass and indoor tournaments to have more variety.

i love clay, i just hate what it does to my shoes and nobody ever wants to go on the dirt and play if a hardcourt is availible. ive never played on grass but i suspect my game isnt built for that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, agarcia34 said:

Medv/Nadal tonight

Odds are hilarious Medv -135 is way to low and it’s jus been dropping all day. Last nights performance from Rafa in that second set was very eye brow raising and not in a good way. Nice spot for Medv here 

Nvm erratic Medv showed up tonight. Well at least in the first 5 games 

• 2 weeks later...

Nick spent the past couple years talking **** to Rudd and then finally meet him in a match and win it in straight sets. Love to see him play when he is focused. Got Sinner next and If he can get passed Sinner it will set up a Nadal/Nick and no love lost with those two