2018 FIFA World Cup Group C & Group D

LeeEvans

4 hours ago, roysmyboy31 said:

Argentina are a bit of an overrated side to be honest.  Their quality is pretty much all in the forward position.  For a big time team, their midfield and defense are really lacking and they struggled in South American qualifying.  Not surprised at all that Croatia knocked them off, though they are historically a side that does not always play up to the sum of its parts.  Modric and Rakitic are pure class in midfield.

Yeah, I think that the fact that Argentina had to produce a late surge (and Chile had to literally faceplant and crap out) in order to qualify.  Both nations were struggling fall of last year.

1 hour ago, drd23 said:

Argentina in complete meltdown mode

What are the odds Maradona was sending texts to some of the veteran players before the match was even over so that they were waiting for them in their phones in the dressing room?

42 minutes ago, Marc MacGyver said:

Wow! Argies on the verge of a pool stage exit.

Is this just a one off poor tournament, or is it the continuation of a slide into irrelevance on the world stage?

Good question.

Its hard to say they’re irrelevant since they got to the final of the last World Cup, but when was the last time you watched an Argentina game and were impressed with the way they played?

Even four years ago, they played some dreadful football and somehow managed to get to the final.

The thing I find funniest in all this is the Messi fan boys jumping to defend him. He doesn’t play well for his country and there’s clearly a reason for that. Whether it’s bad coaching, a bad attitude from him, or a combination of things, we won’t know. 

3 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

Argentina meltdown?

Germany might miss the knockout stage?

Spain fired their manager 30 seconds before the tournament?

Brazil held to a draw by Switzerland?

seems like all this is leading to one thing

#itscominghome

Knowing us Senegal will knock us out in round of 16.

1 hour ago, Marc MacGyver said:

Wow! Argies on the verge of a pool stage exit.

Is this just a one off poor tournament, or is it the continuation of a slide into irrelevance on the world stage?

They weren't exactly setting the world on fire in 2014 and really struggled to qualify.

If you look at a lot of their regular players, they aren't getting any younger either.

1 hour ago, Buc Ball said:

Good question.

Its hard to say they’re irrelevant since they got to the final of the last World Cup, but when was the last time you watched an Argentina game and were impressed with the way they played?

Even four years ago, they played some dreadful football and somehow managed to get to the final.

The thing I find funniest in all this is the Messi fan boys jumping to defend him. He doesn’t play well for his country and there’s clearly a reason for that. Whether it’s bad coaching, a bad attitude from him, or a combination of things, we won’t know. 

That's the beauty of the World Cup concept (In any sport). The knockout format leads to unpredictable results, & often major upsets. Catch fire at the right time, or if results go your way, you can find yourself in the final. 

I agree. It's been a long time since Argentina has looked like the superpower of old. 

51 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

They weren't exactly setting the world on fire in 2014 and really struggled to qualify.

If you look at a lot of their regular players, they aren't getting any younger either.

Agreed. And, I didn't know if they have the same ability to produce world eleven calibre talent through their development pathways anymore. 

2 hours ago, Buc Ball said:

Has anybody even said Messi plays well for Argentina? If not then this is a strawman.

Archived