Packages for Lamar Jackson in 2018

wackywabbit

LJ8 thread specifically on his usage this season as a change of pace QB and/or lined up elsewhere in the formation with Flacco. I think it's clear at this point that the coaching staff is planning on this being a part of the offense. We heard the talk in OTA's about the sub packages and I've mentioned before the precedent with Mornhinweg running the Eagles offense that subbed in Mike Vick. Now they are working on plays where Jackson is lined up at other positions with Flacco also on the field. I've expected that this would be a serious endeavor since I was still just hoping he ended up a Raven. But, I've also heard others suggest the right thing to do is have him stare harder at the clipboard to enter maximum development state all year.

Personally, I think it's foolish for a playoff contender to keep it's best athlete and likely best offensive playmaker on the bench. If you work backwards from opposing defensive coordinators frame of mind, the last thing THEY want is to have to prepare for this. I'm looking around at the AFC competition, Steelers (minus Shazier), Bengals, Pats... and (outside Jacksonville) there is a common theme: slow linebackers. Personally I prefer him replacing Flacco for his package, rather than working them both in, although the latter can be used a few times over the season to make opponents think even more. I DON'T believe that prepping for a few snaps is somehow going to have any significant impact on his development; why would it? There is injury risk, but playing football is necessarily an injury risk. I DO think it will benefit the offense, especially when it gets into 3 n out happy mode as we're prone to do, and to be honest, I think our withering home crowd needs this for those spells.

Playing a few snaps a game isn't something that would destroy Lamar Jacksons development. Whether he is a decoy or an actual active part of the play could be exciting - BUT I am a very profound speaker for not overthinking things.

I'd put my money on two main packages. Lamar Jackson lined up next to Flacco in the backfield, and Lamar Jackson lined up in the slot. In all scenarios I think Flacco will be on the field. Removing Flacco from the field isn't a good look and also allows the defense to key in on Lamar more. The Patriots have pulled off endless trick plays without taking Brady off the field and we should be no different. Our receivers have had trouble getting in rhythm with 1 QB during a game, let's not get too crazy. Lamar Jackson taking a direct snap and faking the rush before a lateral back to Flacco who hits a wide open Hurst running the seam would be a beautiful thing.

Besides the Top Fifteen all time arm strength, there really is no area in which Vick was a better prospect than Lamar Jackson. I've been watching a ton of his VT games and some of his early career Falcon games and boy oh boy did we commit robbery getting LJ8 at 32. Look at this footage of Vick subbing in against the Patriots, I grow more and more confident about Lamar's future.

Some within the fandom are upset we took Lamar at 32 and don't plan to start him, but forget the Falcons took Vick at 1 and still slow cooked him. I don't see how some on field time will be detrimental to Jackson's development. If anything being able to take real game experience back to his "clipboard" and combine it with the off field refinement parts of his development will be invaluable.

Will getting a 1st down run off a direct snap in game somehow disrupt his ability to clean up his footwork during pressure drills with James Urban? lol.

Jackson was able to progress his technical skill and go uninjured over 3 full seasons starting, I think he can handle a couple snaps per game.

If Flacco can return to form and accept some new contract realities going forward, our QB situation will be golden. "Pocket" or "Mobile" QB it doesn't matter, getting the chance to truly sit and grow is invaluable. Especially for guys with mentalities like Aaron Rodgers and Lamar Jackson. Even when looking at Vick's forced absence you see the growth that took place when the pressure of starting was off of him and the hunger to start again was there. Vick was forced into that mentality but Jackson and Rodgers have that in them naturally. What makes it all the more special is how we can still get production out of Lamar while he develops/grows/refines/progresses/matures. It's like buying a stock that you know is only going to grow in value and every Sunday it will pop a couple 1000 into your pocket. We can maximize the potential value of the investment by allowing Lamar to sit for a couple years and reap immediate reward by letting him make a couple plays off the bench while he does.

I'd really like to roll out some magic with Lamar when we play the Patriots in the playoffs. We've been waiting to get that trick s*$t back on them. We're 2-2 in the playoffs against Brady and how close it is to us being 4-0 scares them. The steelers can pretend all they want but they're the Patriots hoe, and I can't wait to introduce LJ to the Patriot fans still smiling over that stupid Edelman pass.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2018 at 1:42 AM, DreamKid said:

I'd put my money on two main packages. Lamar Jackson lined up next to Flacco in the backfield, and Lamar Jackson lined up in the slot. In all scenarios I think Flacco will be on the field.

$$$

— Additionally, the two QBs in the backfield may become a staple this year as well. With Flacco under center, he pitched the ball back to Jackson, who was able to find receivers open downfield on two occasions. This is an interesting wrinkle to the offense after having a pretty vanilla game plan in previous years.

https://russellstreetreport.com/2018/07/22/camp-notes/ravens-training-camp-report/

Archived