2018 Draft Eligible EDGE/RUSH Thread

CalhounLambeau

10 minutes ago, YogiBiz said:

Kemoko Turay made himself some money.

He shouldn't have. I'm a Rutgers alum and I'm not sure I'd touch him until the middle rounds. He's been a no-show for 3 years, even when he was healthy.

3 minutes ago, Jlash said:

He shouldn't have. I'm a Rutgers alum and I'm not sure I'd touch him until the middle rounds. He's been a no-show for 3 years, even when he was healthy.

I am also a Rutgers fan, and agree he shouldn't be touched until round 4. But players with his athleticism, and his senior season's stats, and with the potentially dominate draft season he looks on course to have, he'll skyrocket up boards. "Maybe this is the season he finally turned the corner, and got moving in the right direction, or maybe he was held down by a bad Rutgers team." Those are the things that will run through a franchises heads when they see him preform this offseason. 

4 minutes ago, YogiBiz said:

I am also a Rutgers fan, and agree he shouldn't be touched until round 4. But players with his athleticism, and his senior season's stats, and with the potentially dominate draft season he looks on course to have, he'll skyrocket up boards. "Maybe this is the season he finally turned the corner, and got moving in the right direction, or maybe he was held down by a bad Rutgers team." Those are the things that will run through a franchises heads when they see him preform this offseason. 

I mean the tackle total was a nice surprise to see, but he didn't really make many splash plays this year. He just doesn't play like he actually wants to play football.

1 minute ago, Jlash said:

I mean the tackle total was a nice surprise to see, but he didn't really make many splash plays this year. He just doesn't play like he actually wants to play football.

The main surprise this season is that he looked engaged in almost every play this year. Which is more than we could say about years past, where he was just quietly putting up production without really helping the team. 

Just now, YogiBiz said:

The main surprise this season is that he looked engaged in almost every play this year. Which is more than we could say about years past, where he was just quietly putting up production without really helping the team. 

I feel like we're talking about different people. Aside from his freshman year where he generated all that buzz, not only did he not help the team, quietly or otherwise, but there was no production. He was basically gone for 2 years.

On 1/29/2018 at 5:59 AM, Tugboat said:

The Dante Fowler comp on Davenport is an interesting one.  They're obviously built differently, Davenport is a particularly huge human being.  In terms of the style of pass rusher, violence and motor, as well as the general lack of sophistication and inclination toward raw speed and power over technique though...i can totally see where the comparison is coming from.  Along with some similarities in the way they're used in college and will need to adapt to something a bit different at the next level.

With Davenport though, i think his frame actually probably makes him better suited to play the sort of role these guys are best at in the NFL.  And if he does take to some more of the finer technical points of being a big powerful disruptive DE under NFL coaching...he has crazy potential, even if he's not the absolute most sudden, bendiest athlete out there.  At worst, you're getting a big disruptive bullrushing 4-3 LDE who you can even kick inside on some obvious passing downs.  That downside knocks him a bit for me.  But at best, with some coaching up you're eventually getting the sort of player who dominates a front like a Calais Campbell.  Which is the sort of huge upside worth spending that Top-15 pick on for sure.

In a class that's really lacking in top-end...a guy who has at least a "useful" floor, and a super high upside is gonna get pushed up.  Totally reasonable though.

Not that I am making a comparison between them (but in a small way I am), but Khalil Mack was not a polished pass rusher at all coming out. And even now years later I'd say he is still working on the technical aspects. He was never sudden or bendy like some guys are, and never will be. This comes from watching him for 4 years. His ability to power through with the long arm and just his overall absurd strength is his greatest asset. Watching Mack I'd say Hue Jackson was correct - that he is a rolling ball of butcher knives in semi-literal terms. Realistically, most of the time he is not making these magnificent chess piece moves. He is just powering and ripping and clawing, putting out hellacious physical activity until the OT falls or is pushed aside, or is just chewed up.

I actually do see similarities between Mack and Davenport in that regard. Physically, totally different guys. No idea how Davenport will work out, but he has that speed / strength thing going. If he puts out aggressive effort and can couple it with an ability to consistently keep the OT from getting a hold of him (which is his issue from what I saw in the SB practices), that looks like it will be his game. 

1 hour ago, YogiBiz said:

Kemoko Turay made himself some money. I always knew he was talented, but sheesh. That athleticism, plus that week, plus a show-out at the combine will have him in the early 2nd round discussion soon. Reminds me a little of Bud Dupree 

2nd is super rich for him, he would be better off being a mid round gem. Plus scouts need to know why he fell off since his freshman season. Maybe he didn't mesh well with the coaching staff, he does have a particular skill set but it will be up to him to see his own potential.

12 hours ago, holyghost said:

Not that I am making a comparison between them (but in a small way I am), but Khalil Mack was not a polished pass rusher at all coming out. And even now years later I'd say he is still working on the technical aspects. He was never sudden or bendy like some guys are, and never will be. This comes from watching him for 4 years. His ability to power through with the long arm and just his overall absurd strength is his greatest asset. Watching Mack I'd say Hue Jackson was correct - that he is a rolling ball of butcher knives in semi-literal terms. Realistically, most of the time he is not making these magnificent chess piece moves. He is just powering and ripping and clawing, putting out hellacious physical activity until the OT falls or is pushed aside, or is just chewed up.

I actually do see similarities between Mack and Davenport in that regard. Physically, totally different guys. No idea how Davenport will work out, but he has that speed / strength thing going. If he puts out aggressive effort and can couple it with an ability to consistently keep the OT from getting a hold of him (which is his issue from what I saw in the SB practices), that looks like it will be his game. 

I think Mack probably had a step up on Davenport technique-wise coming out, and a leg up in some of the actual LBer duties outside of just rushing the passer.  But it's similar too, in that he was asked to do some different things...and could generally get away with doing them in an unrefined way because of that raw speed+power and relentlessness+physical superiority.

That combination of traits can carry a guy reasonably far, which will make a guy like Davenport a bit "safer" in some respects.  And heck, Calais Campbell who he's said he'd like to model his game on...wasn't exactly a technician coming out.  As long as he's willing to learn, technique can be refined.  He may never be that pure bendy edge guy...but he's not a hopelessly stiff non-athlete or anything, and speed+power can absolutely be a powerful tool too.  He's got that part down as a base.

2 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Needs to be more Duke Ejiofor talk around here

I'd take him top 10. Great get off, great length, plays the run well, and has already developed his pass rush moves to the level of a player who has been in the NFL for multiple years. Attacks the edge with speed and can bend the edge (he eats up a lot of the space an OT creates with his first few steps). He can play into the body of the OT and either bull rush or use his hands to get off cleanly. He mixes in a good amount of different moves to prevent from being predictable and makes the OT guess about what he's going to do. And he has a good inside counter spin to keep the OT honest so he can't just overset against the outside rush. 

1 hour ago, IDOG_det said:

I'd take him top 10. Great get off, great length, plays the run well, and has already developed his pass rush moves to the level of a player who has been in the NFL for multiple years. Attacks the edge with speed and can bend the edge (he eats up a lot of the space an OT creates with his first few steps). He can play into the body of the OT and either bull rush or use his hands to get off cleanly. He mixes in a good amount of different moves to prevent from being predictable and makes the OT guess about what he's going to do. And he has a good inside counter spin to keep the OT honest so he can't just overset against the outside rush. 

I personally called him the most refined pass rusher in this draft.

On 1/31/2018 at 9:46 AM, IDOG_det said:

IMO that is a bit too high for me. I have him between #10 and #20.

Archived