Can someone talk me into Kareem Hunt?

pollino14

Drafting 10 this year, and I’m a huge RB guy. Most certainly taking Melvin Gordon with one of my two picks.

In this draft process so far, one guy I’ve wanted to avoid is Kareem Hunt. I had him last year and he did great for the most part. This year though, I’m not so high on him.

New QB with a lot of mouths to feed. 

Worse off D which could lead them playing from behind 

Lack of trust in Andy Reid

Return of Spencer Ware

Subpar offensive line.

I really really like going RB-RB, what do you all think about Kareem Hunt this year?!

2 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Hunt shouldn’t be available in the second. He is a no-brainer top 6 RB...over a guy like Gordon, who is always nicked and honestly I am not even sure he is much better than Ekeler. 

That doesn’t tell me anything.

Gordon is most certainly getting a ton of volume both rushing and receiving. His line will be much better with Lamp returning and Pouncy at C. Melvin Gordon is extremely safe.

12 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

Gordon is most certainly getting a ton of volume both rushing and receiving. His line will be much better with Lamp returning and Pouncy at C. Melvin Gordon is extremely safe.

I wouldn’t say that. Gordon is frequently nicked up and again...he’s not as talented as Hunt. 

Hunt is incredibly well rounded. He is still the centerpiece of that offense and there is absolutely no reason to expect a decline. He lead the league in rushing last year with his coach not optimally utilizing him for about half the season, and he is significantly better in the receiving game.

On 6/26/2018 at 3:23 PM, pollino14 said:

Pretty much this...no competition for touches and back to back seasons of 1500 total yds...50 catches and 10+ tds.

And now with Henry hurt, he may get even more looks near the goal line.

Chargers Def also a lot better keeping games closer allowing for better game scripts...Chiefs may be playing catch-up a ton this year.

People forget Hunt disappeared for almost 2 months during the season as well.

Gordon for me pretty easily.

14 minutes ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

Pretty much this...no competition for touches and back to back seasons of 1500 total yds...50 catches and 10+ tds.

And now with Henry hurt, he may get even more looks near the goal line.

Chargers Def also a lot better keeping games closer allowing for better game scripts...Chiefs may be playing catch-up a ton this year.

People forget Hunt disappeared for almost 2 months during the season as well.

Gordon for me pretty easily.

Honestly, outside of Kamara, I think Hunt is the riskiest first rounder this year. Not to say you shouldn’t take them, but there’s much safer players you can take.

1 hour ago, pollino14 said:

Honestly, outside of Kamara, I think Hunt is the riskiest first rounder this year. Not to say you shouldn’t take them, but there’s much safer players you can take.

I agree that Hunt is a risky first rounder this year. I too had him last year and am planning to avoid him this year, even with how talented he is. Andy Reid showed last year that when Hunt was THE RB, he still wouldn't get him the touches he should have gotten. Add Ware back this season and an unproven QB and I think I am going to stay away. 

Curious as to why you feel like Kamara is such a risky first rounder?

2 hours ago, pollino14 said:

I’d probably agree with you...I’d probably even take Fournette over him but that’s just me. 

1 hour ago, tntitans4life17 said:

I agree that Hunt is a risky first rounder this year. I too had him last year and am planning to avoid him this year, even with how talented he is. Andy Reid showed last year that when Hunt was THE RB, he still wouldn't get him the touches he should have gotten. Add Ware back this season and an unproven QB and I think I am going to stay away. 

Kamara efficiency numbers were the best of all time IIRC.

Know I know he’s very talented and I’m more than fine with him as later 1st rounder especially in a PPR, but his effeciency will go down to an extent...his touches at best will only go up slightly in all likelihood.

7 hours ago, tntitans4life17 said:

@AlanFanecaFan summed it up perfectly. His efficiency is not sustainable and I just don’t think he gets enough work to make up for it this year.

15 hours ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

Kamara efficiency numbers were the best of all time IIRC.

Know I know he’s very talented and I’m more than fine with him as later 1st rounder especially in a PPR, but his effeciency will go down to an extent...his touches at best will only go up slightly in all likelihood.

I agree with Kamara but i do think he gets close to enough touches to match yards

As a Kamara owner in my redraft 1 keeper ppr league, I love the ability to keep him for a 10th rd price...however he’s not going to keep a 6 ypc and avg over 10 yds a catch again.

I do expect 20ish touches for those 1st 4 games with Ingram out but they would be pressing their luck to keep a 320 touch pace on the guy..somewhere around 280 overall is more likely(15-18 touches a game)

3 hours ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

As a Kamara owner in my redraft 1 keeper ppr league, I love the ability to keep him for a 10th rd price...however he’s not going to keep a 6 ypc and avg over 10 yds a catch again.

I do expect 20ish touches for those 1st 4 games with Ingram out but they would be pressing their luck to keep a 320 touch pace on the guy..somewhere around 280 overall is more likely(15-18 touches a game)

Yea you have nothing to worry about keeping him since the investment is much smaller

I agree about Hunt. I don't like him as a fantasy RB1, for the reasons everyone's been saying already. I think Kamara could be something though, even though he won't sustain 6.1 YPC. He's got a wide-ranging skill set that not a lot of NFL running backs possess to his level.

On 6/26/2018 at 2:00 PM, pollino14 said:

Drafting 10 this year, and I’m a huge RB guy. Most certainly taking Melvin Gordon with one of my two picks.

In this draft process so far, one guy I’ve wanted to avoid is Kareem Hunt. I had him last year and he did great for the most part. This year though, I’m not so high on him.

New QB with a lot of mouths to feed. 

Worse off D which could lead them playing from behind 

Lack of trust in Andy Reid

Return of Spencer Ware

Subpar offensive line.

I really really like going RB-RB, what do you all think about Kareem Hunt this year?!

Your first problem is that this is just incorrect. The line was just above average last year despite injuries at C and RG. PFF had us 12th, Football Outsiders had us 12th in run blocking. Fisher, Morse, LDT, and Schwartz are all average or better starters. Just a hole at LG. It's not a great line, but it's solid across the board and above average overall. And still compares favorably to LAC's even with the additions (both have a solid LT, an underperformer at LG, a good C, but KC's right side is a bit better/more proven, with LDT vs. an unproven Lamp and Schwartz being clearly better than Barksdale.)

I actually think Hunt is a very safe fantasy player. I don't think he has the highest ceiling for some of the reasons you list (Ware coming back, and a ton of talent spread throughout the offense.) But Hunt is the clear #1 even with Ware back. And Andy Reid has almost always had good fantasy performers when he has a clear cut #1 RB (Westbrook, McCoy, Charles, Ware, and now Hunt.) Even when he steers away from running consistently, that lead back is almost always a huge part of the gameplan, and Hunt is a better receiving back than Ware is. The OL is above average, and will likely be more fortunate from a health perspective than last year. And the new QB, if anything, could put further emphasis on the run game than we had last year, depending on how he adjusts (the way I see it, either Mahomes has growing pains, leading to us leaning on the run, or Mahomes gets off to a strong start, in which case Hunt should get similar opportunities to what he did under Smith, so either way, he should get his.)

Archived