Why is Ryan Kerrigan so Underrated?

I was just watching an interview with him and as they were talking about his stats I realize he is criminally underrated/under appreciated. Since entering the league he has 71.5 sacks. In the last 4 years he is 2nd only to Von Miller in Sacks. Since entering the league he has the most forced fumbles with 22. The guy is a beast no matter how you slice it. Very humble and great locker room guy. Dare I say he has a career year now that we finally(seemingly) have a legitimate defensive line? He's definitely my favorite player on the team.

Because he plays for the Redskins. If he was on the Cowboys he’d be considered one of the best defenders in football. There’s absolute no excuse for him to be excluded from the top 100 players list. It’s no different than Trent Williams constantly being ranked higher than Tyron Smith on PFF and sites alike but for some reason every year Smith ends up higher on the top 100 list. I would accept being paranoid if guys like Peter King, who’s personal grudge against the organization kept Art Monk out of the HoF, didn’t exist. See Joe Jacoby not being in the Hall as another example of bias against this organization. 

Because he plays LOLB and isn’t an elite pass rusher going against mostly RTs. He’s also had very good seasons, but never elite seasons like MKnight said. Just like former players who were very good - but not great. Guys like Kerrigan are in the “Hall of Very Good” category, but have never been viewed as elite.

He’s viewed as good, but not elite.

If he put up the stats he does rushing against good to elite LTs, things could be different for him but that won’t happen because of his hearing problem.

He's a Big 10 plodder, more of a gym rat than being super athletic. Smart, bring your lunch pail type guy. No elite athleticism and not going to do anything flashy and win a bunch of awards, but the type of guy you want on your team to win football games.

I'm a Kerrigan fan but I don't see him as an elite runstopper nor elite in pass coverage. 

He gets sacks  ( Maybe half his number ) as has been pointed out because he has games where he ends up against a poor R T .  He's a very good player and an asset to any team but seems to me to fall just outside of that elite group.  

Archived