Who's the Vikings #2 QB all-time?

vike daddy

i pity the fool(s) who think Cousins could reach Tarkenton's status. pity them, i say!

when Fran retired he held several major NFL records a QB could achieve, such as total yards and td's thrown. those records held for 15 or so years until broken by Dan Marino, then Favre, then Peyton Manning. that's the class of QB's he was in.

and most of his career was spent in 14 game seasons, and he played five years for an awful, awful NYG team.

28 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

i pity the fool(s) who think Cousins could reach Tarkenton's status. pity them, i say!

when Fran retired he held several major NFL records a QB could achieve, such as total yards and td's thrown. those records held for 15 or so years until broken by Dan Marino, then Favre, then Peyton Manning. that's the class of QB's he was in.

and most of his career was spent in 14 game seasons, and he played five years for an awful, awful NYG team.

But to be the QB to win a Super Bowl here? I think it would go a long ways.

You say "that's the class of QBs he's in".....so he's behind Philip Rivers now, who's passed him in those categories? I think Cousins could reach Philip Rivers status, sure.

19 minutes ago, Klomp said:

But to be the QB to win a Super Bowl here? I think it would go a long ways.

You say "that's the class of QBs he's in".....so he's behind Philip Rivers now, who's passed him in those categories? I think Cousins could reach Philip Rivers status, sure.

to equal Tark, one of today's QB's would have to best ALL of his peers, and set career NFL records that stand for 15 years. do you really see Cousins doing that?

2 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

to equal Tark, one of today's QB's would have to best ALL of his peers, and set career NFL records that stand for 15 years. do you really see Cousins doing that?

You're talking about reaching Tark in a league sense though, we're talking in a local franchise sense. One Super Bowl ring > 15-year NFL records.

25 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

ok then... what about if we win a Super Bowl based on a tremendous defensive effort while KC has an average showing?

It'd still be better than any previous QB performance....

4 hours ago, vike daddy said:

well yeah, of course.

but does it make him better than tarkenton? that's my point.

It depends on factors obviously but the only way to even be having a reasonable conversation on the topic would be if the Vikings win a SB with Cousins playing QB. Personally, that alone wouldn't be enough for me to put him of Tark but there are things that he could do along with that which would make me consider it. For me, those things wouldn't have to rise to the level of breaking NFL records.

There are too many factors to draw an exact line of what he would have to do. It would start with winning a SB. Other than that, NFL records could be a consideration. Other considerations would be MVP years, number of years leading the Vikings to the playoffs, and stats in big games. The Vikings winning a SB 3-0 would not help Cousins' case much while if he leads them to a 55-54 victory that game alone may be enough for me to think of him as the team's GOAT QB.

3 hours ago, perrynoid said:

At the very least, any QB (which hopefully will be Cousins!) who helps us bring home a SB trophy would immediately vault to #2.  Then, we can bicker if he should be considered greatest with the Fran backers.

This is a fun conversation, but to rank the QB's it may be beneficial to establish the criteria used. Had Favre won a SB in his two year tenure is he anointed as the greatest in Viking's history? Was Culpepper's sustained, albeit briefly sustained excellence better than 1 very good year by Brett? I watched all four gut wrenching Super Bowl losses live (on TV), and have been an obsessed fan for 50 years. To me rankings are fun to do but in no way anything more than each individual's preference. Personal favorites can be based on where they played college ball, style of play, even personality. We all are right that our personal favorite is the best in our eyes, and it's better than OK that who we each think is best is a different player. So with that, the actual, correct order of Viking all-time great QB'S is:

1) Fran, the only Hall of Famer that played most of his career in purple.

2) Daunte, had he not got injured maybe we would have won a SB before Kirk finally gets us one.

3) Kramer, I don't think the guys who only played here a year or two should qualify.

4) tie Bob Lee, Joe Kapp, and Gary Cuozo, ok I'm just kidding, but those were the glory days!

14 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Yes, it would. 

Is Bob Griese a better QB than Dan Marino?  Griese won two super bowls with outstanding defense and a hall of fame running attack. Marino had none of those things, yet got to one Super Bowl but did not win it, yet held every major passing record when he retired.

Is Stan Humphries a better quarterback than Dan Fouts or Philip Rivers?  Humphries took the Chargers to their only Super Bowl...again did not win.  Is Bart Starr a better quarterback than Favre or Rodgers?  He has two Super Bowl victories...but, again had an outstanding defense and rushing attacks.  Is Jim Plunkett better than Kenny Stabler?  He has more Super Bowl wins. 

With your logic, not staying on the same teams, Doug Williams, Jeff Hoestetler, Brad Johnson, Mark Rypien and Trent Dilfer are better quarterbacks then Jim Kelly, Fran Tarkenton, Philip Rivers, Dan Fouts and Dan Marino.  They would be equal to Ken Stabler, Steve Young, Joe Namath, Len Dawson, Drew Brees, Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers.  Warren Moon never went to a Super Bowl with any team.  Sonny Jurgenson only went to one Super Bowl, was not the starter, and lost.  Johnny Unitas went to two Super Bowls, but only won one.  If John Elway hadn't had Terrell Davis, it's quite possible he would've been 0 for 5 in Super Bowls.

Super Bowl wins are not necessarily the best measurement of how great a quarterback is.  Would I rather have Hoestetler's Johnson's, and Dilfer's Super Bowl wins if they had been Viking victories?  Yes, but that does not make them the best quarterbacks of the franchise.  Tark is the best until such time as his team and career records are broken by someone else wearing a purple helmet with horns.

Archived