Kawhi Leonard Traded to Toronto for DeMar DeRozan

J-ALL-DAY

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Kawhi in Toronto is just dope. The East needs as many stars as possible lol.

we good, we got enough. joakim and dwight is enough all-nba 1st teamers. i ignore the west, so the depleted talent level of the east makes the players i root for look much more talented and promising. 

no way kawhi stays though, right? lowry, ibaka, jonas on big money deals. almost 30 more mil invested in FVV, Miles, Powell. No money to get more help next year.. I dunno. i dont like it. 

What are the Raptors losing long-term minus likely someone like OG? The Raptors would probably be rebuilding after Derozan's deal would be up anyways. Well, either rebuild or going in another direction. This is a risk a team like the Raptors should absolutely take. 

48 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

What are the Raptors losing long-term minus likely someone like OG? The Raptors would probably be rebuilding after Derozan's deal would be up anyways. Well, either rebuild or going in another direction. This is a risk a team like the Raptors should absolutely take. 

i think there's value in letting the face of the franchise play out his career there. he's been a loyal cog and a good representative. they're shipping him out for a potential rental. i dunno, those kinda moves feel dirty to me. 

i get winning trumps all. you're not winning a championship. you've got hella money devoted to bad players. solid money devoted to bench guys. they're in a rough spot. hold on to demar and let him wrap **** up in toronto. build that kind of culture. imo.

unless they have a promise from kawhi that he's gonna re-sign. 

21 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

who know whats bull****, but twitter saying kawhi doesn't even have any interest in playing for toronto. and og is likely in the deal. dont like the deal for either team.

Let me have this for at least the next 340 or so days.

1 minute ago, kyle21121 said:

I don’t really know what to say right now. I’m gonna need to see the actual deal and let this sink in. Definitely in favour of making the swing even if it’s a whiff. 

you wouldn't rather demar play out his prime years in toronto and have that legacy of being like a 1-teamer.. building that kinda culture..? i think its the kinda move that dampens the prestige or whatever you wanna call it of franchises. 

if you got kawhi on like a 4 year deal, then yeah i agree you make the move. don't think you should be sacrificing a guy like demar that's been an awesome guy to the city for a rental. 

Also I really don't like this deal for the Raptors. Trade the guy who actually stayed loyal to your city and has gotten better every year for a guy who just turned his back on his team, has 1 year left, and seems hellbent on going to LA. Kawhi is better than DeRozan obviously, and if healthy would increase their odds of winning a 'ship next year but that would just mean their 0.1% chance goes to a 0.5% chance. 

If they want to rebuild and be done with the DeRozan/Lowry core then there are much better trade partners with more assets than the Spurs. The only positive I see for the Raptors is slightly increasing their tiny chances of winning a title. Unless they convince Kawhi to sign but I really don't like their odds... this is like 30x worse than when everyone thought PG was going to LA. 

2 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

you wouldn't rather demar play out his prime years in toronto and have that legacy of being like a 1-teamer.. building that kinda culture..? i think its the kinda move that dampens the prestige or whatever you wanna call it of franchises. 

if you got kawhi on like a 4 year deal, then yeah i agree you make the move. don't think you should be sacrificing a guy like demar that's been an awesome guy to the city for a rental. 

Well in all honesty I am somewhat conflicted by that. More so than I thought I would be anyways because deep down I actually never thought this trade would go down. 

Derozan is the single most loyal player the franchise has ever had and sure some minor guys show a lot of love but despite his faults he was a star level player and it certainly does hurt in that regard. Canada has such an awful stigma in the nba I really thought by 2018 others would show love but he has been the lone player of relevance. Lowry to a lesser extent although HE apparently wanted to sign with the Spurs last year and took $100m to stay in Toronto when no other offers showed up because he’s in his 30’s and PG position is in good shape throughout the league. 

The rental part definitely sucks as there is like a 10% or less chance as now of him actually resigning but this team was tapped. Our ceiling was defined and it would have been ECF loss was looking like the best case for this season and maybe not even that next season. 

The rebuild is still on track for 2020 if this absolutely fails. The time table only changes if Kawhi resigns at this point. I know for a number of teams this 50+ win season streak and actually making a conference finals in the past few years is a good position that right now you as a magic fan would take 100/100 times because of the recent state of the franchise and I know full rebuilds aren’t always like a young OKC to recent Philly and can be long and hard but I’ve already gone through that a bunch.

I just don’t think I would have been able to enjoy this season as much as I should if we kept the status quo. I’m okay with this failing I just wanna take the chance to be above and beyond what we were gonna be and try while the window is still slightly open. 

Archived