Kawhi Leonard Traded to Toronto for DeMar DeRozan

J-ALL-DAY

@kyle21121 i kinda feel that.. 

just looking at the cap sheet... i'd be thinking more along the lines of just asset hunting rather than trying to salvage something. kawhi/lowry could do something.. make the season kinda fun. wouldn't be wanting to give up assets. the limited ones that exist in toronto at the moment. not to be a hater, there's some hard to move contracts obviously. masai has kinda been on some weird **** these last couple years. i root for toronto though, so hope if kawhi does play in the east that he re-ups there. 

staying up because really interested in the specifics of this deal now  

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

What are the Raptors losing long-term minus likely someone like OG? The Raptors would probably be rebuilding after Derozan's deal would be up anyways. Well, either rebuild or going in another direction. This is a risk a team like the Raptors should absolutely take. 

Ehhh...why not just keep Derozan? If both aren't goong to be around anyway, why switch a superstar for another? Because Leonard might be a better playoff performer? They aren't winning the championship next year anyway. 

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

Ehhh...why not just keep Derozan? If both aren't goong to be around anyway, why switch a superstar for another? Because Leonard might be a better playoff performer? They aren't winning the championship next year anyway. 

Because Derozan is a FA in two years. Lowry will be done in two years as one of the better PGs in the league, and really he's probably already heading that way. They were likely going to have some type of rebuild anyways. 

7 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Because Derozan is a FA in two years. Lowry will be done in two years as one of the better PGs in the league, and really he's probably already heading that way. They were likely going to have some type of rebuild anyways. 

So then why trade two years for one year?

Just now, PapaShogun said:

So then why trade two years for one year?

Because you can't trade him in two years, as he would be a FA. Essentially you keep the core together and fall short the same way, or you take a risk on a top 5 player and hope he stays for the long run. 

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Because you can't trade him in two years, as he would be a FA. Essentially you keep the core together and fall short the same way, or you take a risk on a top 5 player and hope he stays for the long run. 

If the Raptors know that Kawhi doesn't want to be there, and will leave anyway I don't see the point in the trade. I'd just ride Derozan and Lowry until the wheels fall off. Especially with GS at it's peak right now. Rebuild in two years. Not one year.

Archived