Training Camp 2018

big_palooka

2 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Just like I thought.

Sigh... I appreciate a lot of stuff PFF does. But this kind of stuff annoys me. Data can be a tool but it can also be presented out of context and with a lot of crucial variables missing. You can easily pick and choose stats, especially in preseason football, to reach a predetermined conclusion. Just my view.

As to Warren specifically, it depends on someones view of his "hype". Are the takes making him out to be the heir apparent to Lynch ridiculously premature? No doubt. But that's the minority I think. Most of what I've seen on this forum is excitement and intrigue for an UDFA coming out of nowhere to push for a roster spot. One with great physical attributes and potential. But still no better than 3rd on the depth chart and probably not a significant part of the offense this season (if he makes the 53). That's not exactly "hype" IMO.

6 minutes ago, StocktonSav said:

Sigh... I appreciate a lot of stuff PFF does. But this kind of stuff annoys me. Data can be a tool but it can also be presented out of context and with a lot of crucial variables missing. You can easily pick and choose stats, especially in preseason football, to reach a predetermined conclusion. Just my view.

As to Warren specifically, it depends on someones view of his "hype". Are the takes making him out to be the heir apparent to Lynch ridiculously premature? No doubt. But that's the minority I think. Most of what I've seen on this forum is excitement and intrigue for an UDFA coming out of nowhere to push for a roster spot. One with great physical attributes and potential. But still no better than 3rd on the depth chart and probably not a significant part of the offense this season (if he makes the 53). That's not exactly "hype" IMO.

I fully agree. I loathe the PFF truther crowd. Fun for a look, but to subjective. 

On Warren... pretty clear to see he's not being tested. The holes he's getting are huge. He's not getting touched until he's at the second level. He's the new GA3. Another RBB who tore up preseason. Warren isn't explosive, runs high and is still learning how to play behind his pads.

12 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I fully agree. I loathe the PFF truther crowd. Fun for a look, but to subjective. 

On Warren... pretty clear to see he's not being tested. The holes he's getting are huge. He's not getting touched until he's at the second level. He's the new GA3. Another RBB who tore up preseason. Warren isn't explosive, runs high and is still learning how to play behind his pads.

I agree. It's always nice to find a metric to support it though for people who want to vehemently deny it.

25 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I agree with the bold as to last week against the Rams. Less so against Detroit. I thought there were a few examples in that game where he got a decent-sized hole as a result of good patience and vision on cutbacks. Not solely because of blocking as against LA.

It's really a persistent and unavoidable circumstance for preseason superstars IMO. They're going against scrubs on defense based on where they are on the depth chart. So if they do well it's easy to point to weak competition. Hard to differentiate between who is for real and who isn't as a result.

Interesting comparison to GA3 though. For me the difference is physical potential I guess. GA3 was just a guy physically IMO. Warren has somewhat rare physical attributes. Projects with great measurables is more than appropriate for a guy 3rd or 4th on the depth chart in my view. A recent guy that came to my mind was Elijah Hood. A guy a lot of people thought had potential based solely on his build but who showed nothing in preseason even against scrubs.

I like Warren as a RB4 but you all are pointing out why I could see him on the PS. If he shows he can lower his pad level in the next 2 games then we'll talk 53. I recognize he could get poached but RBs are a dime a dozen. I guess it depends how our other positions go as far as how the roster spots get distributed -- we have a LOT of guys at WR, CB, and TE

3 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I read a tweet that Gilchrist and Harris are our projected S's, and the staff simply thinks KJo is too small and doesn't make enough plays.

Not good.

Pretty sure that’s from Vic Tafur who was saying a week ago that Joseph was locked in to start at Safety, in other words it’s guesswork at this point.

8 minutes ago, Dessie said:

Pretty sure that’s from Vic Tafur who was saying a week ago that Joseph was locked in to start at Safety, in other words it’s guesswork at this point.

Ah good to know. I mean KJo isn't a world beater but he is a viable NFL starter. I would be pissed if we moved him out.

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

You think Harris and Gilchrist offers better play? I am skeptical to say the least. 

Erik Harris impressed me against the Packers.. It definitely seemed like he was around the ball a lot faster than Joseph usually is. 

One way to look at it is Gruden doesn't give a **** where you came from and  how you came ("scholarships").. He's going to trust his eyes and his gut and put the best 11 players on the field.

We've heard about Harris impressing all off-season and if Gruden thinks he's outplayed Joseph and deserves to start, then I really don't care that Joseph was a first rounder. Put Harris in. 

4 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

You think Harris and Gilchrist offers better play? I am skeptical to say the least. 

I trust Guenther and his defensive staff. Personally, never thought much of Joseph. He's a mismatch with TEs and literally hasn't made a single play since coming into the league that stands out.

Archived