Marcus Davenport - Training Camp News

Raves

https://www.neworleanssaints.com/news/top-pick-marcus-davenport-making-progress-for-new-orleans-saints

We knew he would have growing pains, though going against a 100% healthy Terron Armstead is difficult for even the best DEs, but he has a great mentality and approach to the game.  Hopefully learning from Armstead and getting those reps will help him develop his technique faster and make a big impact this season.

• 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

This kid is going to be defensive ROTY.

I'd like to see him remain healthy and contribute 8-10 sacks. I still believe he will struggle with his transition to his hand in the dirt, the practice reps i have seen he just looks uncomfortable. I just hope its not the Saints trying to fit that square peg in a round hole again. 

Still I also believe that Hendrickson will suprise people this season!

2 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

the practice reps i have seen he just looks uncomfortable. I just hope its not the Saints trying to fit that square peg in a round hole again. 

Wasn’t all the talk when he was picked about how they would let him rush however he’s comfortable at first? 

I understand that he needs to learn how to play in the trenches and set the edge and be a better all around DE rather than just a pass rusher, but IMO they should just let him do whatever he’s best at as he adjusts to the NFL.

Everything else will come with time, but let’s not spoil this guys natural talent for the sake of getting him 100% NFL ready. He can make an impact now with the tools he has, I’m a bit worried of how he’s been handled so far. But it’s faaaar too early to say much else.

43 minutes ago, Dome said:

Wasn’t all the talk when he was picked about how they would let him rush however he’s comfortable at first? 

I understand that he needs to learn how to play in the trenches and set the edge and be a better all around DE rather than just a pass rusher, but IMO they should just let him do whatever he’s best at as he adjusts to the NFL.

Everything else will come with time, but let’s not spoil this guys natural talent for the sake of getting him 100% NFL ready. He can make an impact now with the tools he has, I’m a bit worried of how he’s been handled so far. But it’s faaaar too early to say much else.

That's exactly what Payton said after drafting him... Payton said the Saints would allow Davenport to play however hes comfortable but this franchise has done the EXACT opposite since Payton made that statement. 

Since Davenport has been drafted its clear that the Saints have made it a priority to have Davenport transition to playing with his hand in the dirt.

27 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

That's exactly what Payton said after drafting him... Payton said the Saints would allow Davenport to play however hes comfortable but this franchise has done the EXACT opposite since Payton made that statement. 

Since Davenport has been drafted its clear that the Saints have made it a priority to have Davenport transition to playing with his hand in the dirt.

Just because they are having him practice with his hand in the dirt so that he learns how to do it properly doesn't mean they won't let him pass rush standing up.  He needs to eventually learn and they need to start somewhere.

19 hours ago, Raves said:

Just because they are having him practice with his hand in the dirt so that he learns how to do it properly doesn't mean they won't let him pass rush standing up.  He needs to eventually learn and they need to start somewhere.

My main point is that Payton is going against What he said after the draft about allowing Davenport to do what he’s comfortable with early. From what I've heard this hasnt been the case. Payton always talks about his vision for new additions. So far, his vision of Davenports time in TC and preseason isn’t coming to fruition a early and that’s never a good sign for a guy you paid 2 first for. This is not to say it can’t be fixed, it’s still VERY early. but it’s also very early to be changing the plans you had for the guy. 

Maybe it’s a good thing though! If he’s already a guy they think they can throw in on 3rd downs and get production out him as he “stands” right now I’m fine with this. That’s perfect. But if he’s a total project (like we were told he would be) they need to be focused on getting him up to NFL speeds and putting him into positions to play to his strengths and find success that way. 

If mid season rolls around and he just isn’t getting the 3/4 pt stances and we move him to a 2 pt stance and he’s rusty cause he hasn’t been allowed to do that in 6 months, we’ll really be hurting. We flip flopped Peat around for a few years and I think that hurt his development early in his career.

You don’t spend the kind of capital to move up for a guy like we did to sit him on the bench in the twilight of Brees career IMO. We need him to perform. I just hope he picks up his new position quickly. 

I think he's a great asset, and will be for many years. We have D-line depth which gives us a little bit of time to play with this guy.

I've always said a flawed plan in action is better than a perfect plan on the bench.

This kid is 2 months into being a pro. Let's give this a little time, eh?

4 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

I think he's a great asset, and will be for many years. We have D-line depth which gives us a little bit of time to play with this guy.

I've always said a flawed plan in action is better than a perfect plan on the bench.

Nothing about the kid... More about Payton's tendency to speak of his "vision" for players and how to utlize them only to do the complete opposite when he actually gets his hands on them. 

When Payton speaks of Davenport he always talks of his size, his length and his strength. Yes, wr know hes the prototype but that does not mean his physical tools translate to a traditional playing skill set. There have been many prototypes that just werent traditional DE's reguardless of how much coaches wanted them to be. My point is did the Saints fall in love with the player they scouted on film or did they fall in love with the physical tools that they believe they can mold into a great player? The former means they would be betting on talent while the latter means there betting on potential.

7 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

My issue has nothing to do with Davenport, just the way his career has been started so far. Not by his own doing, mind you.

23 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

Nothing about the kid... More about Payton's tendency to speak of his "vision" for players and how to utlize them only to do the complete opposite when he actually gets his hands on them. 

How much do you think is a smoke screen? Payton rarely does what he says he's going to do. Year after year we see him totally change up what he says he's going to do, and the personnel changes the way you run the team, aside from what his "vision" is.

Just a thought.

6 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

How much do you think is a smoke screen? Payton rarely does what he says he's going to do. Year after year we see him totally change up what he says he's going to do, and the personnel changes the way you run the team, aside from what his "vision" is.

Just a thought.

Yeah I feel this is possible. Fingers crossed anyways.

Also what I said earlier maybe he looked ready to go as a situational pass rusher out of his 2-pt stance so they don’t feel like they need him to work on that at all. We just won’t know until we see him out there. 

On 8/18/2018 at 12:18 PM, whodatworm23 said:

When Payton speaks of Davenport he always talks of his size, his length and his strength. Yes, wr know hes the prototype but that does not mean his physical tools translate to a traditional playing skill set.

I remember how Payton was just GIDDY about landing Josh Hill with his height/weight/speed combo . He ended up being an alright TE2 and that’s it. Obviously Hill didn’t have the ceiling and potential of Davenport, but you’re right that Payton can get a little hung up on measurables.

Archived