Khalil Mack traded to the Bears (Page 19)

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, raiders4life said:

Bro.. what did you think would happen when you come on to our forums when we're all still salty from the trade?

Raider fans are obviously going to have a confirmation bias against the Bears because the future of our team is now dependent on the Bears flopping. Pretty naive in thinking that you could change any of our minds..

Dont blame it on salt. Youre cheapening it. The bias is all on the other side. Is Vegas confirmation biased or the fans who think Trey Burton and Taylor Gabriel are "absolutely loaded"? The supporting weapons on that team dont scare anyone. They are the worst in the division, same as the QB. History, Vegas, and logic are all pointing to them missing the playoffs.

Maybe someone can explain this in a way that makes complete sense but why does the current cba not have any provisions to help a franchise keep draft picks, it now appears that if Mack were a good only player the Raiders could still keep him instead of a top defensive talent, teams should not be forced to let go of drafted talent

9 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I am coming to terms with the fact we traded Khalil freaking Mack. The frustration and overall pissed off nature is slowly receding and I am excited about the potential players we can land with the new picks and cap space. 

Knee-jerk reaction from all sides is that it was a terrible move by Oakland. Short-term it undoubtedly is. Chicago should be thrilled and we should be pissed. We all were and media outlets supported it. 

Long-term....time will tell. We got the most draft capital in the history of a trade for a defensive player and free up a ton of cap space. Until those assets are spent we don't know.

10 minutes ago, justwinbaby81 said:

Dont blame it on salt. Youre cheapening it. The bias is all on the other side. Is Vegas confirmation biased or the fans who think Trey Burton and Taylor Gabriel are "absolutely loaded"? The supporting weapons on that team dont scare anyone. They are the worst in the division, same as the QB. History, Vegas, and logic are all pointing to them missing the playoffs.

You would expect a fan to have a positive confirmation bias for the team that he roots for. It's not as common for a fan to have a negative confirmation bias for a team that isn't a rival and not even in the same conference.

Vegas odds are a really good way to gauge how the masses see a team, but obviously they aren't perfect and change every week. It's based on speculation and obviously, a majority of people speculate wrongly, otherwise it wouldn't be a very good business model would it?

1 hour ago, billking said:

Maybe someone can explain this in a way that makes complete sense but why does the current cba not have any provisions to help a franchise keep draft picks, it now appears that if Mack were a good only player the Raiders could still keep him instead of a top defensive talent, teams should not be forced to let go of drafted talent

This is an interesting point, maybe the cap hit could be subsidised slightly for drafted players, something like a 10% cap hit reduction for resigned drafted players? This wouldn't make any difference to the vast majority of players so still would allow FA and movement of players but might make just enough difference - around $2.3m relief - for a guy like Mack.

There's obviously some downsides I haven't yet considered but it's interesting nonetheless.

1 hour ago, justwinbaby81 said:

Knee-jerk reaction from all sides is that it was a terrible move by Oakland. Short-term it undoubtedly is. Chicago should be thrilled and we should be pissed. We all were and media outlets supported it. 

Long-term....time will tell. We got the most draft capital in the history of a trade for a defensive player and free up a ton of cap space. Until those assets are spent we don't know.

The worrisome thing I think is that should we hit on another Mack as we would obviously hope to do with some of those draft picks and Carr is playing at a high level won't we be in exactly the same situation in 3 to 5 years time when next years 'new Mack' comes due for an extension or this years Key/Hall/Hurst turn out to be All Pro players? 

13 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

The worrisome thing I think is that should we hit on another Mack as we would obviously hope to do with some of those draft picks and Carr is playing at a high level won't we be in exactly the same situation in 3 to 5 years time when next years 'new Mack' comes due for an extension or this years Key/Hall/Hurst turn out to be All Pro players? 

Time will tell. It'd be a great problem to have. If Mack would have shown up we wouldn't be in this situation now, so we will see how the next guy does it if/when it happens. 

Worst case scenario is draft busts. Next worse is a repeat of this. Best case, these young guys and the 4 future 1sts become key contributors and Carr leads us to the promised land. 

Another factor is that Mack was a defender. Cooper will get paid because Gruden is an offensive guy. For better or worse, that's the reality in my opinion. 

39 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

As BP said before, Gruden is pursuing the Belichick model. Multiple above average players playing their role in a scheme that maximizes their talent has a bigger impact than one or two all pro players in a unit with obvious weaknesses.

Time will tell if Gruden can pull that off, but I see the Mack situation as comparable to the Seymour situation the Patriots had years back. Yes the Patriots were a better team and Seymour was older, but that trade definitely worked out for the Patriots a hell of a lot better than it did for the Raiders didn't it?

Good article about what the Patriots did with the first rounder the Raiders sent their way.. https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/new-england-patriots/patriots-still-reaping-rewards-seymour-deal

Yesterday when Gruden was asked why we didn't trade Mack before/during the draft he seemed confused as to why we would do it then. Ugh, so we could've potentially added another player in the top 10 that could have helped us this season? I honestly think this will wind up being Chip Kelly 2.0. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Yesterday when Gruden was asked why we didn't trade Mack before/during the draft he seemed confused as to why we would do it then. Ugh, so we could've potentially added another player in the top 10 that could have helped us this season? I honestly think this will wind up being Chip Kelly 2.0. 

This is down right scary

Archived