from the Love Boat to Smooth Sailing...

vike daddy

NFL owners approved Zygi Wilf’s purchase of the Vikings for $600 million in late May 2005. It only took four months before Wilf was introduced to the dysfunction for which the franchise had become so well known. The infamous “Love Boat” cruise on Lake Minnetonka set sail on Oct. 6 during the team’s bye week, leaving Wilf fuming about the conduct of his players and causing embarrassment for the entire organization. Thirteen years later, Wilf and his brother, Mark, are veteran NFL owners and the Vikings, now valued by Forbes as being worth $2.4 billion, are in many ways an unrecognizable organization when compared to that time.

The aging and unimpressive Metrodome has been replaced by the state of the art U.S. Bank Stadium in downtown Minneapolis. Winter Park, the team’s longtime and run-down practice facility in Eden Prairie, now sits vacant, with the franchise having moved all of its operations to the enormous campus of the TCO Performance Center in Eagan.  The new practice facility also has enabled the Vikings to move training camp out of Mankato. All of these changes — and most importantly the right people being in charge — have established a stability with the Vikings that did not exist for years. It took Wilf time to find the correct formula, but the Vikings no longer seem to live in fear of when the next off-the-field embarrassment will hit.

Spielman and Zimmer have combined with Rob Brzezinski, the Vikings’ longtime executive vice president of football operations, to build a roster, develop players and keep them around with shrewd management of the salary cap. Spielman spoke Tuesday about how much time he spends in Brzezinski’s office discussing contract matters and in Zimmer’s office talking football.

Spielman: “We spent a lot of time together before Zimmer was hired on what we envisioned. Hopefully, we’ve had some success — not the ultimate success that we’re looking for — and we’re going to continue to strive for that. But everybody knows what direction we’re going, what we’re looking for and I think the continuity and stability that we have — not only on the front-office side but the coaches and working together as one — hopefully will benefit us.”

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/07/zulgad-smooth-sailing-vikings-appear-left-tumultuous-times-behind/

To a certain degree it has.  I imagine that the Wilfs and certainly Spielman has directed the scouting staff to look for character players, those with the character of being, at the base level, good people, and are willing to help lead other players in being accountable to others.  Everson basically said that on PA's show a couple of days ago, specifically with the defensive line room, where they talk to each other about being accountable on the field...but I imagine that also bleeds over into being accountable off the field.   

Spielman: “I think with the culture that we’ve established here and that we have a pretty good football team, ultimately everybody wants to win a Super Bowl. That’s why we’re in this business. Financially you take care of your families, but I think ultimately everybody is so competitive that they want to say that they were a Super Bowl champion. I believe a lot of the guys that are coming here and the guys who don’t want to leave, want to stay here, believe that we have a chance to potentially do that.”

“As long as we keep our philosophy in place and continue to bring in the right type of players, not only for what they can do on the field but off the field – and I’ll be the first one to admit, I’m never going to be a hundred percent. But we’re sure as heck going to try as hard as we can and do everything the right way to put the team together and to keep this going.”

https://www.vikings.com/news/diggs-extension-latest-step-in-vikings-long-term-plan

It was embarrassing to see Vikings players constantly getting themselves in trouble when I first started watching this team, but this team has cleaned up their image pretty quickly. I applaud this entire team for taking a huge step forward in being personally accountable, and I hope they continue this new tradition! 

On 8/4/2018 at 5:05 AM, SteelKing728 said:

It was embarrassing to see Vikings players constantly getting themselves in trouble when I first started watching this team, but this team has cleaned up their image pretty quickly. I applaud this entire team for taking a huge step forward in being personally accountable, and I hope they continue this new tradition! 

It's really made the offseasons rather quiet.  :D

Just a few weeks ago I was thinking, is this what it's like being a fan of a team like the Steelers?  Where there's little, if any drama, that goes on?  

10 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Not sure if the Steelers point was sarcasm, but with Ben pondering retirement every other year, and Bell holding out or getting suspended, they have a lot to talk about lately.

True, but, for the most part, they've been pretty stable and quiet.  I don't think there are too many times we hear about Ben out at a party or a bar these days.  

6 hours ago, swede700 said:

It's really made the offseasons rather quiet.  :D

Just a few weeks ago I was thinking, is this what it's like being a fan of a team like the Steelers?  Where there's little, if any drama, that goes on?  

Can't say im a fan of the Steelers anymore, but I used to be. What we are doing now is what that team has been doing for a long time (minus all the Big Ben and James Harrison drama of past)

I think the interesting thing is.....people around here start talking about expectations and how it's Super Bowl or bust, almost like we should make changes if we don't win the title.....but it's the total opposite. Sure we have expectations, but we also have an organization that isn't going to make rash decisions I believe. That's a big part of what makes these "boring" franchises like the Steelers the way they are.

19 hours ago, Klomp said:

I think the interesting thing is.....people around here start talking about expectations and how it's Super Bowl or bust, almost like we should make changes if we don't win the title.....but it's the total opposite. Sure we have expectations, but we also have an organization that isn't going to make rash decisions I believe. That's a big part of what makes these "boring" franchises like the Steelers the way they are.

I am one of those persons who believe that it's time for this team to make it to, and win, the Super Bowl.  If it doesn't happen, I will wonder about Zimmer's security as head coach.  Now, I like Zimmer...and I believe he's been good for the Vikings.  However, HE got schooled by Doug Pederson in the NFCCG.  The defense seemed like they had no idea how to stop Nick Foles!  Nick Foles!!  The Vikings should've lost the week before (I'm glad they didn't) to the Saints, who they destroyed in the regular season.  Every game Zimmer has coached the Vikings in the playoffs has resulted in underwhelming performances. 

The team has "upgraded" the quarterback position this offseason, as well as added Richardson to an already stout defensive line.  Cook is returning to the backfield, Treadwell looks like he's turned a corner, there is some great depth, especially on defense!  If the Vikings continue to underwhelm in the playoffs, if they get to the playoffs, you have to think that Zimmer is a major part of the problem.

21 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

I am one of those persons who believe that it's time for this team to make it to, and win, the Super Bowl.

I think we can all agree there. I think Zimmer has a few more years security as head coach. Hopefully they can all take that next step this year in the playoffs. 

Archived