Update: Urban Meyer suspended 3 games

IDOG_det

3 minutes ago, Raves said:

You do realize all this concrete evidence was provided by Smith.  Not to say it's faked, but it doesn't seem like he did anything to corroborate the information/story he was given by Courtney.  No talking to individuals that Courtney said she talked to, nothing.  Just one source, which is bad journalism.

You think Shelley Meyer, Hiram de Fries, and other people named are just going to suddenly open up to McMurphy if he questions them about it?

Also I'm not saying the information is fake, just that there seemed to be a lack of actual fact checking done by McMurphy in this story when it could've likely been done quickly enough to still get his story out before others.

Just now, Raves said:

Now those text messages, were those just screen shots or actual messages?  If those were actual messages did he compare the phone number listed as Shelley as Shelley Meyer's phone number?  If it's just a screen shot, was there a way for him to verify the phone number associated with it, to include requesting the message record from the university if it was made though a university phone.  Did he even interview any of the other coaches/former coaches wives that she supposedly talked to about the abuse?

The information about Courtney Smith also needs to be reviewed, but the fact that Zach Smith's own lawyer is claiming that the police will be testifying on his behalf rather than Courtney's does seem to raise some questions, especially if true.

So we're going with the "fake news" defense.

Do you really think Brett McMurphy is stupid enough to not look at the contact info? Seriously? How desperate do you have to be to think this isn't real? 

Do you also think McMurphy doesn't have Urban Meyer's number and can confirm them? That's not hard to get.

He went on ESPN and said he had 100's of text messages, dozens of photos, and every single thing in his article was multiple sourced and primary sourced except for the quotes from Courtney. He said this the day the story broke.

Just now, JammerHammer21 said:

You think Shelley Meyer, Hiram de Fries, and other people named are just going to suddenly open up to McMurphy if he questions them about it?

At minimum with Shelley, if it was her university phone that was being used, he could've verified the phone number to the text messages.  Obviously you could still change the number after messages being sent back and forth, but some sort of fact checking seemed to be needed.

4 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

How many police officers were involved w/ Nassar's victims? I literally do not know. How many times were police called to the scene to just have the women say "I'm not pressing charges"? You seem to know more about these cases than I do. Was Nassar arrested and the women said "Don't worry, I'm not pressing charges"?

Fear is a part of it. People get pressured into doing things, thinking things will get better, and that their abusers aren't going to hurt them again, it was just a one-time thing.

Hey, here's a study that OSU was involved in on the topic:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-domestic-violence-study/study-shows-why-domestic-violence-victims-drop-charges-idUSTRE77I6FE20110819

5 minutes ago, JammerHammer21 said:

Fear is a part of it. People get pressured into doing things, thinking things will get better, and that their abusers aren't going to hurt them again, it was just a one-time thing.

Hey, here's a study that OSU was involved in on the topic:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-domestic-violence-study/study-shows-why-domestic-violence-victims-drop-charges-idUSTRE77I6FE20110819

OK So you didn't answer my questions so we can assume your example was a poor one.

The funny thing about this, Jammer, is that I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm not saying the possibility of what you're suggesting is wrong, the least bit. You, on the other hand, are implying that what I'm suggesting happening isn't the case and cannot be the case. I hope no one here is still thinking I'm the bias one........

The fact that you all can't grasp the notion that some women LOVE money is hilarious to me.

EDIT: AGAIN, as I feel I need to say this; I don't necessarily believe this is the case. I'm just keeping the possibilities open b/c they are certainly possible.

6 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

So we're going with the "fake news" defense.

Do you really think Brett McMurphy is stupid enough to not look at the contact info? Seriously? How desperate do you have to be to think this isn't real? 

Do you also think McMurphy doesn't have Urban Meyer's number and can confirm them? That's not hard to get.

He went on ESPN and said he had 100's of text messages, dozens of photos, and every single thing in his article was multiple sourced and primary sourced except for the quotes from Courtney. He said this the day the story broke.

I'm not saying it's fake news, it's definitely possible/likely to be true.  Just doesn't seem like things were as fact checked if some of the newer information coming out, including the statement by Zach Smith's lawyer, turns out to be true.

Once again though, if Meyer knew, it seems like the only actual contract requirement/law/regulation that he might have broken was his disclosure to the media that he did not infact know. 

-edit- or rather that he said he didn't know.

1 minute ago, Raves said:

I'm not saying it's fake news, it's definitely possible/likely to be true.  Just doesn't seem like things were as fact checked if some of the newer information coming out, including the statement by Zach Smith's lawyer, turns out to be true.

Once again though, if Meyer knew, it seems like the only actual contract requirement/law/regulation that he might have broken was his disclosure to the media that he did not infact know. 

You're using the the lawyer for the (potential) defendant as the basis for questioning the journalism here? Really?

*Sees the smear campaign already being launched by OSU fans on Courtney Smith*

Yeah, I have no idea why McMurphy chose to launch the article without tipping off anyone else involved. I’m sure that wouldn’t have caused an even larger smear campaign at all. Urban and everyone else seem like really upstanding people who would tell the whole truth and not blindly harm someone’s reputation. 

6 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

OK So you didn't answer my questions so we can assume your example was a poor one.

The funny thing about this, Jammer, is that I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm not saying the possibility of what you're suggesting is wrong, the least bit. You, on the other hand, are implying that what I'm suggesting happening isn't the case and cannot be the case. I hope no one here is still thinking I'm the bias one........

The fact that you all can't grasp the notion that some women LOVE money is hilarious to me.

EDIT: AGAIN, as I feel I need to say this; I don't necessarily believe this is the case. I'm just keeping the possibilities open b/c they are certainly possible.

Your suggestions about Courtney Smith are coming from Ohio State fan posts on places like Bucknuts.

The woman was abused by her husband, but now we're just looking at the fact that women love money, and saying she stuck through all this just to get money because "women LOVE money"? Really?

Just now, winitall said:

*Sees the smear campaign already being launched by OSU fans on Courtney Smith*

Yeah, I have no idea why McMurphy chose to launch the article without tipping off anyone else involved. I’m sure that wouldn’t have caused an even larger smear campaign at all. Urban and everyone else seem like really upstanding people who would tell the whole truth and not blindly harm someone’s reputation. 

Should have known this was going to happen. 

I'm going to be really generous to OSU fans here and hope that it is just some of them in the bargaining phase of the stages of grief. But man the 247 site has been a cesspool from the moment this broke.

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

You're using the the lawyer for the (potential) defendant as the basis for questioning the journalism here? Really?

I would also like to point out how long it took for these conspiracies to come to light. If a quarter of this information was true it would have come out five minutes after McMurphys report. Instead it took multiple days and it is still changing by the hour. 

4 minutes ago, winitall said:

I would also like to point out how long it took for these conspiracies to come to light. If a quarter of this information was true it would have come out five minutes after McMurphys report. Instead it took multiple days and it is still changing by the hour. 

These conspiracies haven't "come to light". Some idiot with an agenda isn't bringing a conspiracy to light. When someone with a real name not "Buckz4Ever" says this, then we can pay attention.

2 minutes ago, JammerHammer21 said:

Your suggestions about Courtney Smith are coming from Ohio State fan posts on places like Bucknuts.

The woman was abused by her husband, but now we're just looking at the fact that women love money, and saying she stuck through all this just to get money because "women LOVE money"? Really?

And Ohio St fans can't be right b/c of their fandom? Believe it or not, dude, there are some people out there who aren't bias nutjobs when it comes to sports.

The woman was abused and it sounds like she abused as well. It looks like the definition of a dysfunctional relationship. Those are quite common, unfortunately. If you feel that some women don't stick w/ abusive relationships b/c of money then I dont know what to tell you. It is very obvious you're not informed here. There are plenty of examples and articles you can read to give you this info. Most of the time, these women stay in these relationships w/ those who have a lot of money; professional athletes, coaches, movie stars, business tycoons etc etc.

And, again, b/c I'm sure you're going to conveniently forget this: I do not necessarily believe this is what has transpired. I am merely suggesting that it is a possibility, b/c it is. I do not, will not, and have never condoned the behavior of that ******* Zach Smith. He deserves everything he's going to get. 

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

These conspiracies haven't "come to light". Some idiot with an agenda isn't bringing a conspiracy to light. When someone with a real name not "Buckz4Ever" says this, then we can pay attention.

Apologies on the phrasing. I meant for it to come across that all of these random message board sources are made up and it took them 2 days to make up with random crap but got careless in getting that across. 

Archived