Update: Urban Meyer suspended 3 games

IDOG_det

Just now, JTagg7754 said:

I don't think suggesting there was a motive for her to stay in this relationship was bad. 

Unless that motive was "because she's the mother of his children" then yea, I'd say it's pretty far out of line to suggest. 

Just now, Texasmade said:

Unless that motive was "because she's the mother of his children" then yea, I'd say it's pretty far out of line to suggest. 

I would believe her children were a big part of it. Like I said though, unfortunately these situations happen. There are many examples.

7 minutes ago, Raves said:

Regardless of anything else let's get back to some of the facts right now.

-It seems that Courtney Smith doesn't/may not fall under the Title IX protections and therefore any requirement of Meyer or other staff members is non-existent.

-There is wording in Meyer's contract that someone posted at some point which may or may not get him in trouble based on that in regards to his comments to the media if he did in fact know about the accusations for 2015.  Also some ambiguous language on another part of his contract.

So the only legal/contractual/regulation problem that Meyer might have is his comment at media day about not knowing about the 2015 incident, which the severity of that in regards to how tOSU decides to look at it seems to be his biggest issue, based on any actual legal aspect of it.

Now this is not taking into account the PR situation/lynch mob looking for Meyer's head for not firing Smith back in 2015, if he in fact knew about the accusation.  This has no actual legal basis for firing Meyer, so would cost the University a lot of money even in a settlement, but could also be resolved with a suspension, a statement from Meyers, and a donation similar to that of what happened at Colorado.

Am I missing anything from this?  Trying to get us off of a path that might get the thread locked.

6 minutes ago, Raves said:

Am I missing anything from this?  Trying to get us off of a path that might get the thread locked.

The biggest thing you're missing is that OSU may hold Urban to the language in the contract, bullet point 2 in your list, but more generally, that they might expect more than the bare minimum and will simply settle or let him go for being an absolutely awful human being who happened to finely walk the line on whether he broke the law.

He's going to get fired, that's really not even much of a question. Coaches don't come back from insta-administrative leave like this.

9 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The biggest thing you're missing is that OSU may hold Urban to the language in the contract, bullet point 2 in your list, but more generally, that they might expect more than the bare minimum and will simply settle or let him go whether he broke the law.

He's going to get fired, that's really not even much of a question. Coaches don't come back from insta-administrative leave like this.

I can't edit your original post, but this is how it should've been phrased as the deleted portion will only lead to us getting off topic and the thread locked.

Now I'm not sure how I'm missing the language in his contract since I mentioned it but they could definitely hold him to a very strict aspect of his 2nd part of his contract and due to the PR situation might be what happens with him settling, or firing him and having to pay him his whole contract after a lawsuit for possibly wrongful termination, especially due to the Colorado ruling. 2n

Coaches can come back from this insta-admin leave, Sean Miller, although not officially put on Admin Leave, was on admin leave.  This seemed to be a good move by tOSU regardless of the decision they make as it shows that they are taking the situation serious and are looking to find the truth, especially with the need to determine exactly what did Meyer know, his obligations based on his contract and other regulations/laws.  Once those facts are all gathered I'm sure they'll look at the climate of the media as well as that of his obligations to make the choice to either part ways with a settlement, or some suspension/fine process.

39 minutes ago, Texasmade said:
42 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

I don't think suggesting there was a motive for her to stay in this relationship was bad. 

Don't get too mad at JTagg. My mother's brother's uncle kevin's nephew richie read on the WeHateOhioState.com forum that JTagg is paid by Ohio State to post this stuff. Just suggesting a motive here for his posts. Feel free to spread it around a bit. 

I suppose I should be less surprised, not more, that there are people willing to advocate for Urban as genuinely unaware of this whole series of events. 

Worst case scenario:

He knew, didn’t report it out of loyalty to a coach, and cares more about winning than people (I always thought most of us OSU fans believed he did anyway)

Best case scenario:

As a friend of Smith/the couple, Urban and his wife tried to do way too much on their own in meeting with them and recommending counseling, and out of loyalty to his grandfather who gave him his first job kept his loser grandson on staff, and while out of accidental ignorance failed to report suspected or actual abuse.

See ya Urb. I’ll miss the recruiting and wins but don’t let the door hit you on your way out.

Whom to trust, random internet forum jacko (myself included *waves*) or longstanding, impeccably reputable collegiate sports journalist with history of credibility.

Hmmm hmmm hmmm.

And yes Urban is going to be fired, nobody is immediately placed on leave and then subject to a wide reaching investigation amidst public and professional outcry and comes out unscathed. You can't bring him back at this point, the PR alone would be devastating for recruiting and the university as a whole.

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I suppose I should be less surprised, not more, that there are people willing to advocate for Urban as genuinely unaware of this whole series of events. 

Worst case scenario:

He knew, didn’t report it out of loyalty to a coach, and cares more about winning than people (I always thought most of us OSU fans believed he did anyway)

Best case scenario:

As a friend of Smith/the couple, Urban and his wife tried to do way too much on their own in meeting with them and recommending counseling, and out of loyalty to his grandfather who gave him his first job kept his loser grandson on staff, and while out of accidental ignorance failed to report suspected or actual abuse.

See ya Urb. I’ll miss the recruiting and wins but don’t let the door hit you on your way out.

The problem is, there might not have been a requirement to report the incident to the University based on Title IX due to Courtney Smith wasn't a student or employee, though I'm not sure if the Clery act applies either due to this not being committed on Ohio State campus/event.  So the main issue seems to be his denial of knowing about the incident in 2015 and some wording in his contract about being dishonest, and the ethical aspect of not firing Smith in 2015 if/when he was made aware of the incident.

Pretty much from a NCAA perspective it seems that Ohio State and Urban Meyer are 100% in the clear, now from Meyer's specific contract and an ethical aspect it might be more murky.

Regardless of what happens this situation was of Meyer's own making and I'm sticking with the University regardless of their decision as they'll be able to go more indepth on securing the facts of this case and doing what is best.

There is a case for Ohio State to fire Meyer based on his comment to the media based on his contract as well as the backlash any other move might have from the media due to the ethicalness of him not firing Smith sooner.

There is also a case for Ohio State to just suspend Meyer for 6 games to a full season, having him make a donation to a domestic violence charity, as well as issuing a public statement/apology which has a bigger precedent to happen due to the Colorado situation, though this would be a bigger punishment obviously.

There is also a case for just a statement being made where Meyer apologizes for his handling of the situation among other things vowing never to let something like this go unchecked again, still making a donation to the charity, and not being suspended at all.

It really comes down what the actual facts are in the end as well as how the University sees the PR hit in either direction.

3 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Whom to trust, random internet forum jacko (myself included *waves*) or longstanding, impeccably reputable collegiate sports journalist with history of credibility.

Hmmm hmmm hmmm.

And yes Urban is going to be fired, nobody is immediately placed on leave and then subject to a wide reaching investigation amidst public and professional outcry and comes out unscathed. You can't bring him back at this point, the PR alone would be devastating for recruiting and the university as a whole.

I agree that he doesn't escape unscathed, but firing isn't the only option.  Firing him outright would be hard to do with the Colorado situation, even with the PR, unless they agreed to a buyout.  A way to try and manage both the PR while not having to pay a massive buyout is agreeing that he would take an actual suspension with loss of pay, agree to make a donation to domestic violence charity, as well as issuing a public statement/apology.

5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Worst case scenario:

Best case scenario:

Finebaum was on ESPN pretty much trashing Urbs as an arrogant d-bag.  tbf he said that most of the college coaches at the top were also in that category.  As an OSU homer, I am hoping that there isn't anything that he has done that is cause for termination.  DV is certainly ugly, and there should be harsher penalties for those that commit these offenses.  However, I am having a hard time reconciling with the fact that a "boss" is somehow culpable for an employees actions outside of work.  In what other field would a boss be held accountable for the knowledge of DV between a husband and wife?  As is often the case in these types of situations, husbands and wives reconcile more often than not.  Perhaps Urbs didn't want to get involved in someone else' affairs?  The pitchforks are out, and he has already been convicted in the eyes of the public.  For this...I believe that he will ultimately be fired.

Archived