Browns trade WR Corey Coleman to the Bills

Texansfan713

On 8/7/2018 at 3:16 PM, big_palooka said:

On 8/8/2018 at 12:56 PM, MrOaktown_56 said:

Yeah his hands weren't good last year, but his physical talent is undeniable. He was a real player in college and not developing on the gutter of the NFL over the past 2 seasons isn't an indictment on him as much as his situation.

I personally think you are making excuses for the guy, what he did at Baylor has zero bearing on what you do in the NFL except get you inside the door, you always have to prove yourself. Plus those who want to cite QB play, Josh Gordon had terrible play as well but flourished. This is a crap or get off the pot league, no one is going to hold your hand, either get it done or get traded for a bag of chips

30 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I personally think you are making excuses for the guy, what he did at Baylor has zero bearing on what you do in the NFL except get you inside the door, you always have to prove yourself. Plus those who want to cite QB play, Josh Gordon had terrible play as well but flourished. This is a crap or get off the pot league, no one is going to hold your hand, either get it done or get traded for a bag of chips

Josh Gordon is a borderline elite WR talent. He's not a good example of anything.

For the vast majority of WR's, Qb play is one of the defining factors in their performance. And Kizer was easily a bottom 5 qb last year, no doubt about it. Put Coleman with Matt Stafford and that's a huge difference.

15 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Josh Gordon is a borderline elite WR talent. He's not a good example of anything.

For the vast majority of WR's, Qb play is one of the defining factors in their performance. And Kizer was easily a bottom 5 qb last year, no doubt about it. Put Coleman with Matt Stafford and that's a huge difference.

He had Tyrod Taylor and Baker Mayfield in camp which is a huge upgrade from what he had. Two very accurate QBs and the team still couldn't get with the program. I don't blame the organization, we are in a win now phase and don't have time to baby these guys, similar to what Oakland is trying to do.

24 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

He had Tyrod Taylor and Baker Mayfield in camp which is a huge upgrade from what he had. Two very accurate QBs and the team still couldn't get with the program. I don't blame the organization, we are in a win now phase and don't have time to baby these guys, similar to what Oakland is trying to do.

He didn't have a chance to show it in the regular season. He's on a rookie deal. They shouldn't have traded him for that little compensation. If Coleman becomes something, because he went in the 1st for a reason, this is a failure on the Browns part to give him time and develop him.

23 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

He didn't have a chance to show it in the regular season. He's on a rookie deal. They shouldn't have traded him for that little compensation. If Coleman becomes something, because he went in the 1st for a reason, this is a failure on the Browns part to give him time and develop him.

For that little??? It's been known that he's been on the trading block all off season and the most we could get WAS a 7th. I am pretty confident he won't amount to anything significant or worthy of where he was drafted. He had plenty of time to show what he could do, he had all last year to differentiate himself from all the horrible  receivers we had and failed to do so. If you take away the second game of his career against the Ravens he would be a complete dud. Undersized, not very fast, poor hands, lazy,not tough at all and is injury prone, since you are going to bat for him, name his one redeeming characteristic that makes him this gem of a prospect worthy of time and patience?

26 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

For that little??? It's been known that he's been on the trading block all off season and the most we could get WAS a 7th. I am pretty confident he won't amount to anything significant or worthy of where he was drafted. He had plenty of time to show what he could do, he had all last year to differentiate himself from all the horrible receivers we had and failed to do so. If you take away the second game of his career against the Ravens he would be a complete dud. Undersized, not very fast, poor hands, lazy,not tough at all and is injury prone, since you are going to bat for him, name his one redeeming characteristic that makes him this gem of a prospect worthy of time and patience?

He can run after the catch and definitely has speed to get vertical on guys (4.39 40). I don't know any receivers running a sub 4.4 who "aren't very fast". I don't have all 22 of the Browns so I can't prove that he has vertical speed, but I don't see where it's gone, unless somehow injuries have sapped him of all his speed. You'd have to go back to college to see when he looked dynamic, but I can't indict a receiver who played for the Browns over the last 2 years, the most dysfunctional team in the NFL with a bottom 5 offense and qb situation.

"He's my top receiver. Now this is for what we do so he's going to be tops for me. He can do a lot of things and I'm not worried about those simple routes because he's got some gifts to work with. Like him a lot more than (Laquon) Treadwell or the Notre Dame guy (Will Fuller)" -- AFC wide receivers coach

If you're telling me that people were high on him for the wrong reasons thats fine. He hasn't performed well since entering the league, but like I said, you can't write off a receiver that has showed talent as a prospect after 2 years on a dysfunctional team. Especially when hand injuries do hinder your ability to catch the ball.

Again, I'll take a wait and see approach, but you writing him off for not doing well in a bad situation doesn't mean his career is over, or that he can't become something.

Furthermore, his statistics over the last 2 years would be 700 yards over 19 games. He hasn't stayed healthy, but about 40 yards per game, or about 650 yards/season isn't bust worthy for a guy in a terrible situation.  You're way too down on him IMO.

11 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Again, I'll take a wait and see approach, but you writing him off for not doing well in a bad situation doesn't mean his career is over, or that he can't become something.

"Doing well" is not necessarily why I think the front office was fed up with him. He was actually having an encouraging camp. I think it had more to do with his attitude, and off-the-field issues. He was not a good influence in a young WR room, partying, not following thru on plays in practice, etc.

Personally, as a Browns fan, I was surprised they gave up on him like this. But I understand it because I know he didn't mesh with what the organization is trying to do.

Just now, MistaBohmbastic said:

"Doing well" is not necessarily why I think the front office was fed up with him. He was actually having an encouraging camp. I think it had more to do with his attitude, and off-the-field issues. He was not a good influence in a young WR room, partying, not following thru on plays in practice, etc.

Personally, as a Browns fan, I was surprised they gave up on him like this. But I understand it because I know he didn't mesh with what the organization is trying to do.

This is more something I can get behind.

Maybe he's a locker room cancer. Fair point, get him out of there. 

Just now, MrOaktown_56 said:

This is more something I can get behind.

Maybe he's a locker room cancer. Fair point, get him out of there. 

I don't even think he's a cancer, per se. But he most definitely was not leading by example. It seems like the trade has really been a wake up call for him. Now he's suddenly saying he's got something to prove. I'm not sure why he seems to have JUST realized this, but I think he can be a very solid NFL WR if he puts in the work. We've seen flashes, but he's gotta build on them.

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

corey coleman was a former first round wr, biletnikoff winner with a sub 4.4 40 yard dash.  corey coleman theoretically is a boderline elite WR talent as well.

1 minute ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

I don't even think he's a cancer, per se. But he most definitely was not leading by example. It seems like the trade has really been a wake up call for him. Now he's suddenly saying he's got something to prove. I'm not sure why he seems to have JUST realized this, but I think he can be a very solid NFL WR if he puts in the work. We've seen flashes, but he's gotta build on them.

thats what ive heard too- he just didnt put in the work

23 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

He can run after the catch and definitely has speed to get vertical on guys (4.39 40). I don't know any receivers running a sub 4.4 who "aren't very fast". I don't have all 22 of the Browns so I can't prove that he has vertical speed, but I don't see where it's gone, unless somehow injuries have sapped him of all his speed. You'd have to go back to college to see when he looked dynamic, but I can't indict a receiver who played for the Browns over the last 2 years, the most dysfunctional team in the NFL with a bottom 5 offense and qb situation.

"He's my top receiver. Now this is for what we do so he's going to be tops for me. He can do a lot of things and I'm not worried about those simple routes because he's got some gifts to work with. Like him a lot more than (Laquon) Treadwell or the Notre Dame guy (Will Fuller)" -- AFC wide receivers coach

If you're telling me that people were high on him for the wrong reasons thats fine. He hasn't performed well since entering the league, but like I said, you can't write off a receiver that has showed talent as a prospect after 2 years on a dysfunctional team. Especially when hand injuries do hinder your ability to catch the ball.

Furthermore, his statistics over the last 2 years would be 700 yards over 19 games. He hasn't stayed healthy, but about 40 yards per game, or about 650 yards/season isn't bust worthy for a guy in a terrible situation.  You're way too down on him IMO.

So I guess your answer is "speed", speed is not enough to keep you in this league. And you keep saying talent, explain to me where he's shown talent? What the "one game his rookie year? One game big game in his 3 year career which he made all of his big plays against Shareece Wright??? I've seen every snap of this guy's career, it doesn't take all day to see sunshine, either it's there or it isn't. And while you are doing all of this defending and research, go watch actual games and see if you defend him like you are now. I have, and I don't see anything that suggests talented, and worthy of a 1st round pick. I don't make excuses for guys, he's a lemon

7 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

We've seen one flash and that was him exploiting a guy who shouldn't be in the league. When you say flashes talk in specifics so we all know

1 minute ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

We've seen one flash and that was him exploiting a guy who shouldn't be in the league. When you say flashes talk in specifics so we all know

Ugh dude I don't wanna put that kinda effort into a guy traded for a 7th round pick

He had an incredible game against BAL his rookie season, and then last year he made a handful of great plays, but he never had any consistency. The guy def flashed more than once cmon. If you're really gonna argue that he only had one moment that showcased his potential in the NFL to the bitter end, I suppose I'll put in the work but, like...cmon man lol

32 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

31 percent of balls directed at Corey Coleman were "off target" last season. That was third-highest among 84 wide receivers with 50+ targets. #Bills

So 69% were on target and he caught 39% of them. 30% of the time he failed on balls that were catchable, whether they were defended or he just failed to catch. Doesn't seem like a good number.

Archived