Bears could be interested in trading too much for Khalil Mack

cooters22

7 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Those picks could also be Harrell, Sherrod, Randall, Hawk

Those FA signings could be Cleditus Hunt, Joe Johnson, Martellus Bennett, Jeff Saturday

I get the view that it is a lot to give up.  But acting like keeping the picks and the cap space is a fail safe route to hitting on 3-5 upper tier rookies/FA signings is a bit dreamy as well.

I completely agree with you. I understand that both deals could be dreams or nightmares.

My problem is some people are just completely dreamy Mack and money and draft picks are completely worth nothing which is complete BS... I'm trying to put some names and faces to it... and actual FUTURE faces... none of this Matthews and Cobb crap... it's more likely to be some real tough choices like do we keep Daniels or Clark on the DL because we can't afford both. But to suggest either side is completely dreamy is being biased and unreal... but the grass always seem greener on the other side, so people are dreaming of Mack and not seeing reality.

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Really if you look at 2019 as it stands now, we've got $38 million in cap space with the only must-sign being HHCD. 

You need to find an edge rusher to fill Clay's spot, but you were likely needing to do that anyway and Mack fills that spot. 

Now Rodgers is going to be playing on a 21 million dollar deal. That's gonna have to get fixed. 

I think you could say the 2018 version of GB is much better off.  The 2019 version is probably a tick better as well.  After that it gets much harder to predict as it really hinges on those 2 rookie 1sts being pretty big contributors to be the equivalent of what Mack likely would be (based on his NFL career to date).  Rodgers could still be tagged for 2 additional years after 2019 and still be relatively reasonable from a cap hit perspective.  

8 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You can cut Matthews for no money after you trade for him if you really don't want him at 10.5. It's not like we're foisting a bad contract on them. 

That's not the point... I was responding to the suggestion that the Raiders would want that contract as a very valuable part of the Mack trade. I'm simply stating that if the Raiders want to rebuild (which is the only half decent suggestion as to why the Raiders want to get rid of him when they don't have to) then they don't want to rebuild with Matthews and his current contract, they rather have the cap space.

So let's walk through this:

2018. We've got $12,745,621 in cap space.

You trade Randall Cobb for a 5th round pick to free up $9,468,750, and those young rookies we're all so excited about get a bunch of snaps freed up. 

That gets you to $21,659,731. You've got no rollover, but you're not bleeding at this point. You could sign that deal. 

HHCD-Brice

Tramon-Alexander-King

Mack-Matthews-Martinez-Perry

Daniels-Clark

+++

Bakhtiari-Taylor-Linsley-McCray-Bulaga

Adams-Allison-Rookie

Jones

Graham

Rodgers

+++

I'm really scared that secondary is gonna suck. 

7 minutes ago, Beast said:

That's not the point... I was responding to the suggestion that the Raiders would want that contract as a very valuable part of the Mack trade. I'm simply stating that if the Raiders want to rebuild (which is the only half decent suggestion as to why the Raiders want to get rid of him when they don't have to) then they don't want to rebuild with Matthews and his current contract, they rather have the cap space.

That team can't really rebuild with Carr so really this entire conversation is moot. The only way Mack leaves is if the relationship between he and the front office is just toxic. Very unlikely. 

4 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

That team can't really rebuild with Carr so really this entire conversation is moot. The only way Mack leaves is if the relationship between he and the front office is just toxic. Very unlikely. 

That's what I'm saying... people keep trying to make short cuts to get around the fact that based on what we currently know, there would be a very high future cost to this. It's not just get rid of Matthews/Cobb and everything is good... you have have to resign people and have quality depth at other positions.

Plus Mack being traded is probably completely moot... again, if we had Mack would we trade him? NO!

Not only that, but the Raiders can simply put the franchise tag on him once (or maybe twice) unless they really dislike dealing with the guy as a person, because he's playing on an extremely high level... it's not like the Raiders have to trade him... and I haven't heard anything upsetting about him as a person or in the locker room.

18 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

So let's walk through this:

2018. We've got $12,745,621 in cap space.

You trade Randall Cobb for a 5th round pick to free up $9,468,750, and those young rookies we're all so excited about get a bunch of snaps freed up. 

That gets you to $21,659,731. You've got no rollover, but you're not bleeding at this point. You could sign that deal. 

HHCD-Brice

Tramon-Alexander-King

Mack-Matthews-Martinez-Perry

Daniels-Clark

+++

Bakhtiari-Taylor-Linsley-McCray-Bulaga

Adams-Allison-Rookie

Jones

Graham

Rodgers

+++

I'm really scared that secondary is gonna suck. 

That fear of the secondary sucking is there with or without Mack on the roster for 2018.   It would be reasonable to feel better about the secondary with Mack added to the defense than without him.

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

That fear of the secondary sucking is there with or without Mack on the roster for 2018.   It would be reasonable to feel better about the secondary with Mack added to the defense than without him.

Adding Mack hampers my ability to fix the secondary in the future. 

If we don't sign him I've got 20 million and 2 first round picks to add a DB and a pass rusher. 

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

If we don't sign him I've got 20 million and 2 first round picks to add a DB and a pass rusher. 

And the 2019 draft with lots of options for pass rushers which some pretty good options will be falling into the 2nd round.

Mack is certainly better for 2019... but the other option is better for the future.

Just now, MantyWrestler said:

2 first to add a pass rusher and RT

Na, add two pass rushers, one at OLB (for Matthews) and one at DL (for Wilkerson or Daniels)... RT can be found later in the draft and I still want to hope Murphy might be able to do it, if Bulaga isn't. Though he might need TE chip help against speed rushers, but that shouldn't be a problem as long as we got a healthy Bak (and maybe a new back-up LT option).

Just now, Beast said:

Na, add two pass rushers, one at OLB (for Matthews) and one at DL (for Wilkerson or Daniels)... RT can be found later in the draft and I still want to hope Murphy might be able to do it, if Bulaga isn't. Though he might need TE chip help against speed rushers, but that shouldn't be a problem as long as we got a healthy Bak (and maybe a new back-up LT option).

Still think Spriggs is the best long term option at that spot given the reps, but either way I'm not sweating RT. 

13 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Again, those picks are being counted on to fix both those positions.  With the likely reality that you only get 50% hit rate to "fix" either position.  

At some point, those recent draft picks need to be hits or GB is not sniffing the Super Bowl.   

4 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Again, those picks are being counted on to fix both those positions.  With the likely reality that you only get 50% hit rate to "fix" either position.  

At some point, those recent draft picks need to be hits or GB is not sniffing the Super Bowl.   

20 million in cap space buys me a top of the line CB in Free Agency and those two picks are either two shots at third tier prospects or hopefully a shot at a second tier guy.  

Archived