What is going on with Kevin King's shoulders?

Lodestar

I don't want to be alarmist or read too much into these shoulder issues King has been having since we drafted him, but this morning Mike McCarthy said it was "kind of odd how it happened" in reference to King's new (right) shoulder injury, and then after practice (which saw King do some individual drills) when reporters asked King about the injury, he gave a series of evasive, not-exactly-reassuring answers. See for yourself:

https://www.packers.com/video/king-i-want-to-be-out-there

Does anyone know how shoulders work? Is it possible that a guy has "bad shoulders" and this is going to be something that hampers King throughout his career?

I have really high hopes for King and want him to be okay. ?

Just now, incognito_man said:

He practiced today, should be fine.

That's how I felt until I watched the interview with King. Remember, he practiced and played a bunch with the left shoulder injury last year. I hope this isn't the same thing.

That being said, King is kind of a goofy guy, so maybe his aloofness with reporters is just par for the course.

Concerning to say the least. Guy is just starting his second season and has had trouble in both shoulders. The first time around, it ended his season. Not a great part of your body to have injuries as a CB. Every time he goes for a tackle, hit or even a jam on a WR, he's putting stress on his shoulders. Hopefully he can hold up. 

I'm no medic, but I'd say his shoulder problem can be minimised in two ways. 

Option 1)  If the rotator cuff (the socket that holds the ball joint), is chipped or fails to suround the ball joint enough, then enhancing the amount of wraparound (by surgery) can help.

Option 2)  The muscles around the ball and socket joint cushion it from damage, so building the muscles up there will also help.

The two options are not exclusive to each other, so a bit of both seems best.

The sheer number of dislocations last year, suggests option 1 will help, while option 2 helps prevent later damage.

Just now, Norm said:

Et tu, Brute?

I can't say I was on the Watt train because I was skeptical of him.  I definitely wanted a corner that year, so I can't say it's not what I wanted like it was when I wanted Harrison Smith over Nick Perry, but I definitely think we should have drafted Watt. 

Right now, our team is probably a top 3 defense if you swapped King with Watt.  Our weakest area right now is pass rush, especially if Perry stays injured all year again. 

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

I can't say I was on the Watt train because I was skeptical of him.  I definitely wanted a corner that year, so I can't say it's not what I wanted like it was when I wanted Harrison Smith over Nick Perry, but I definitely think we should have drafted Watt. 

Right now, our team is probably a top 3 defense if you swapped King with Watt.  Our weakest area right now is pass rush, especially if Perry stays injured all year again. 

I don't disagree. I'm just giving you hell for the hindsight aspect is all

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

How about we just draft Carl Lawson instead of Vince Biegel? Add Lawson to our pass rush. No hindsight there either. I wanted Lawson in the 3rd instead of Adams lol. Then he was right there 1st pick of day 3 and instead we take the other white guy from Wisconsin. 

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

How about we just draft Carl Lawson instead of Vince Biegel? Add Lawson to our pass rush. No hindsight there either. I wanted Lawson in the 3rd instead of Adams lol. Then he was right there 1st pick of day 3 and instead we take the other white guy from Wisconsin. 

Seems fairly obvious that was a medical decision

Archived