Rams/Donald expected to announce agreement

WizardHawk

10 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I argue that he is when accounting for salary cap inflation.

Fletcher Cox - 10.03% of cap based on year it was signed if he were to see all of it (Honestly, if you took his real deal, it really boiled down to 3 years 60 million, so actually even higher)

Donald (using 24) - 13.56%, but if you assume 10 million increase like the cap has been consistently rising, you get about 12.9%. 

Is Donald worth 3.5% more than Cox against the cap? That's pretty whatever., especially when you manipulate the numbers.  And honestly, like I said, the reality of Cox's deal is 3/60 I think, which puts them in the same ball park (Cox would be right at 12% of the 166M cap in 2017, when the extension officially started, and certainly there is a case for Donald being worth 1.5% more of the cap than Cox) , though I suppose it would depend on what Donald's "real deal" is as well. 

For now, I can accept this argument. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Fletcher Cox - 10.03% of cap based on year it was signed if he were to see all of it (Honestly, if you took his real deal, it really boiled down to 3 years 60 million, so actually even higher)

Donald (using 24) - 13.56%, but if you assume 10 million increase like the cap has been consistently rising, you get about 12.9%. 

Is Donald worth 3.5% more than Cox against the cap? That's pretty whatever., especially when you manipulate the numbers.  And honestly, like I said, the reality of Cox's deal is 3/60 I think, which puts them in the same ball park (Cox would be right at 12% of the 166M cap in 2017, when the extension officially started, and certainly there is a case for Donald being worth 1.5% more of the cap than Cox) , though I suppose it would depend on what Donald's "real deal" is as well. 

Yes. However, we do have to see the real Donald deal. What's leaked to the media is usually the max value of the contract.

For now, I can accept this argument.

7vxz.gif

Just now, TheRealMcCoy said:

Yeah, its kinda pointless to talk about this till we know what the numbers are for sure.

Besides that I doubt Rams fans care if they overpay one of the most disruptive defensive players of the last decade.

Nope. Plus, it'll finally shut up all the Rams fans who want to trade Donald because they're upset that he'd dare to look out for himself. xD

8 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

That's not overrating him, though. His level of play is that of a first ballot HOFer. If he continues to play like he has for a few more years, he'll be in easily. It's longevity that your questioning, not level of play.

It is overrating him. Rating or categorizing any player over what they have are, is just that. 

HOF talent? No brainer. HOF pace? Eh, depends on how long he plays for but I wouldn’t push back on it (especially if you’re figuring in DPOY). “Is a first ballot HOFer?” Nah. 

There’s a small group of current players that, more or less, are first ballot guys (Brady, Brees). They can retire tonight and walk in. 

1 minute ago, Yin-Yang said:

It is overrating him. Rating or categorizing any player over what they have are, is just that. 

HOF talent? No brainer. HOF pace? Eh, depends on how long he plays for but I wouldn’t push back on it (especially if you’re figuring in DPOY). “Is a first ballot HOFer?” Nah. 

There’s a small group of current players that, more or less, are first ballot guys (Brady, Brees). They can retire tonight and walk in. 

You're quibbling with longevity. Is Aaron Donald playing like a first ballot HOFer?

1 hour ago, SwoleXmad said:

If Donald gets 24/yr....well Mack is going to ask for more.

I don't think any defender is worth more than 20 million even on J.J watt levels of play. 

Trade him.

If Matt Ryan (who is a product of Julio Jones) can get $30 million/yr then Aaron Donald and Khalil Mack definitely deserve to be in the $24-25 million/yr range.  

Just now, Yin-Yang said:

I wouldn’t argue it, but I wouldn’t die on that hill either.

Aaron Donald is playing as well as pretty much any interior defensive lineman has ever played. He's most certainly at a 1st ballot HOF playing level right now. As noted, it's just longevity that will decide if he achieves that or not.

1 minute ago, TitanLegend said:

Donald's worth it, but that soon to be 80+ish million a year to 4 players on the roster after Goff(Gurley, Watkins being the other two) gets paid is steeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

Watkins is on the Chiefs. You mean Cooks, I’m guessing.

Archived