What to do at Tight End?

coordinator0

Alright, now that we're in the midst of training camp I'm interested in seeing the opinions on what to do at the tight end position. The Ravens are in a good situation but there are going to be tough cuts. Here's my take:

-----

Hayden Hurst  - Obviously H₂OLD is safe. Sounds like he's having a tremendous camp, looking like a player entering his prime.

Mark Andrews - Also safe. Has had an issue with a tissue injury but that doesn't seem concerning at the moment. 

Nick Boyle - Not 100% guaranteed to make the roster, but close to it. With Roman's influence on the offense/running game a blocking tight end is a must and Nick is far and away the best in that mold on the team.

And now this is where it gets interesting.

Maxx Williams - Seemed to be having a good camp. Caught a touchdown in the HoF game. Got nicked up a little bit again but is back at practice already. Is there enough upside left in him to keep around? Are his durability concerns too much to risk given rest of the cuts that need to be made to get to 53?

Darren Waller - This is the most intriguing case. He has the most upside as an offensive weapon out of the bubble bunch and is also a solid special teams player. He doesn't have the durability concerns that Williams has, but the suspension issue is practically just as bad. Not sure if that gamble is worth a roster spot.

Vince Mayle - Special teams player, nothing more. Still might have a chance of making the roster just because of that though. The staff puts an emphasis on the coverage teams as well they should.

Nick Keizer - Not making the team. Maybe the practice squad. Probably the practice squad, but has no bearing in this discussion. 

-----

Three guys that virtually are guaranteed to make the roster, then three more guys who could have a shot. At tight end. I'm thinking four are kept, but the last spot is totally up in the air. Anybody else?

With how soft Hurst and Andrew are, I think we're going to be forced to carry 4 TEs. Waller is in the doghouse and Mayle is special teams relegated, so Williams has the edge definitely. It's weird, during OTAs and the early part of camp he looked labored when running and was critiqued heavily "for dropping the easy stuff". Then his stock had a resurgence with strong practices and the HOF game, until once again he faded into injury obscurity. Williams can block and is a good YAC threat, but likely his potential has been capped by horrific injury realities. 

My bet is Williams will bounce back once again and earn the roster spot. He then should be a prime candidate for the after effect of maybe the NFL's dumbest rule, the "46 active", leaving him inactive on game days. There's a chance Waller and less so Mayle are left on alone on the PS too, plenty of ?s with them. It should be noted Mayle has had strong practice performances referenced throughout the preseason though. If Williams is unseated for the 4th spot it will be by him imo.

Maxx just turned 24, maybe he is young enough to recover from all of these injuries to a higher degree than we thought possible. Gronkowski found some more stability with his health as he got older. Staying on Gronkowski, it's exceptionally rare to find a TE who truly can excel in both the run and pass game. We needed more productive TEs in the passing game, so what did we do? Drafted Hayden Hurst and Mark Andrews, two former receivers that converted to TE during their college careers. What comes with that is an increased fragility along with the superior chance at production. Both will constantly get up slow after decent hits, have "Soft Tissue" issues, miss a game here and there. Add in their measly offerings in the run game and a committee approach to the position looms over the offense.

Like all the other bubble positions on the roster, the "4th TE" quandary will be put under varying lights as we continue to progress throughout the preseason. 

2 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Like all the other bubble positions on the roster, the "4th TE" quandary will be put under varying lights as we continue to progress throughout the preseason. 

Yep, TE4, QB3, WR7, OLB6, CB7, S5 are all basically fighting it out for the last 2 or 3 roster spots imo

H2Old is a lock

Andrews is also a lock

Boyle is a key blocker and also a lock

Williams has to fight for a roster spot, but he plays specialteams, can play the full back position as well and might be more healthy than he has ever been

Waller is 1 suspension away from a lifetime ban, but the second best special teamer of the bunch

Mayle is probably the most athletic player and second best special teamer, but offer little to nothing in all other aspects of the game.

I think we keep 4

49 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

the success of this team will not be hinged on the TE position imo so keep the rookies, add Boyle for his blocking and be done with. don't waste a 4th roster spot on a TE.

It's not wasting a 4th roster spot on a TE - it's basically deciding whether or not the person at that spot can play ST's. If we have a better ST's player at a different position, then keep that person, but I think Waller/Mayle would be quality ST's player.

Agreed with the above.

Also, we should consider Andrews an extra receiver which opens up the tight end spot.

I still see it Crab, Brown, Snead, Moore, Las, White, Hurst, Andrews, Boyle Williams/Mayle, and Waller on PS

7 hours ago, drd23 said:

And what about Jaleel Scott? 

I have him either cut, PS'ed or IR'ed. I haven't seen much from him, and his role I believe could fit just as well with Mark Andrews.

I have seen more from Lasley on special teams than scott which means he get the edge.

You think they'll cut a 4th round pick before the first game in his rookie season?  For a player on a rookie contract all 3 of those options are basically the same thing 

I don't see that happening for anything other than disciplinary reasons (of which there are none at this stage).

Archived