2019 prospects and outlook

Dr.O

9 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

I agree and would consider a guy like Brown or Metcalf (despite his injury is becoming my favorite WR prospect if he comes out) slightly ahead of Brown.

I just don't view RB nearly as important as you do though.  Why can't either of them become the next James White or Tarik Cohen.  These guys are found in the 4th and later and become key pieces to a good offense.  I mean White is basically the go to guy on a great offense as a small pass catching RB who can't really run between the tackles.

Darnold has some pieces in place and this wasn't an issue until Q and Pryor went down with an injury.  I want to add a WR next year either in round 1 or round 3 depending on how the draft falls to boost this core.  I think Mac hit on a gem in Herndon and with a healthy Anderson, Q and maybe (Metcalf/Brown) would give us a stable young core to grow with Darnold for the next 6-7 years.

I think we can be fine with Crowell, McGuire and Cannon next year assuming one of McGuire and Cannon flash as a 3rd down back.  Only way that happens is by giving them a chance which was all I was saying, not dismissing them because they were late round picks.  Not saying they will both be good but we need to know this year if either is a keeper for that role next year which requires meaningful snaps.

I loved Chris Carson a few years back and wanted him.  He was a 7th rounder and has average over 4 ypc in a bad rushing Sea offense.  You can find solid backs in the mid to late rounds in nearly every draft.  Cannon has shown ability and should get a chance with meaningful snaps to see if he can be that game breaker we have been waiting for.

That’s exactly it though. I’m not at all saying spending a 1st in a RB is what we need. But I do think we need to draft higher than we do. You gave Cohen and White as examples who were both 4th Rounders, when McGuire was a 6th and Cannon was a 7th. That’s not addressing a position IMO. 

11 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

That’s exactly it though. I’m not at all saying spending a 1st in a RB is what we need. But I do think we need to draft higher than we do. You gave Cohen and White as examples who were both 4th Rounders, when McGuire was a 6th and Cannon was a 7th. That’s not addressing a position IMO. 

Fine how about Riddick and Thompson (5th and 6th rounders) and Carson who was a 7th who I mentioned.

Point is you can find RB's anywhere in the draft.  Adrian Foster was undrafted and was one of the best RB in league during his prime.

Saying you have to draft one 4th or higher is just not true.  

If McGuire and Cannon both stink it up the rest of the year then we'll know we have to upgrade.  I just think one or both will stick as the 3rd down back and we'll be fine.  WR is more of a concern for me.

54 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Fine how about Riddick and Thompson (5th and 6th rounders) and Carson who was a 7th who I mentioned.

Point is you can find RB's anywhere in the draft.  Adrian Foster was undrafted and was one of the best RB in league during his prime.

Saying you have to draft one 4th or higher is just not true.  

If McGuire and Cannon both stink it up the rest of the year then we'll know we have to upgrade.  I just think one or both will stick as the 3rd down back and we'll be fine.  WR is more of a concern for me.

Well we have tried your way and it hasn’t worked. And that’s my point. You keep naming a handful a success stories. How about the countless guys that are out of the league that are drafted in that area. I guess don’t draft a QB high bc Brady was a late round pick, don’t draft WR high bc Brown was drafted late, don’t draft Edge rusher bc Wake was undrafted, etc.

You generally get the talent based on where you pick them. 

17 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

At Week 8 and looking forward to the draft, my early crush is...

N’Keal Harry WR Arizona State

Who would think at that this time of the season we would be talking about draft already. That tells me there is something real wrong with the Jets. We got one shot of getting a impact player with our first round pick. First our big needs was to get a pass rusher & help on the O line, now WR has moved up to the top of the list. And rightfully so, for Darnold, to succeed he must have a real number one receiver, and not this receiver by committee, that we are doing now. And our need for a real offensive center is moving up the list of positions that must be upgraded.

3 hours ago, doumeyer said:

Who would think at that this time of the season we would be talking about draft already. That tells me there is something real wrong with the Jets. We got one shot of getting a impact player with our first round pick. First our big needs was to get a pass rusher & help on the O line, now WR has moved up to the top of the list. And rightfully so, for Darnold, to succeed he must have a real number one receiver, and not this receiver by committee, that we are doing now. And our need for a real offensive center is moving up the list of positions that must be upgraded.

I’m not doing a mock draft or anything... but I am looking at prospects. And WR seems the biggest need right now and with a weak FA class it will remain a need post FA. So I’m liking ya choosing a WR in Round 1 a lot more than OT. I think we add an edge in FA somehow so I lower that need. We want Darnold to succeed?..... we have to give him weapons. And a guy like Harry would be perfect for him. 

I can get down with Harry in the first. He’s that X WR we don’t have. Sign Enunwa,Tender Anderson, sign Kearse to a reasonable contract for his veteran presence.

Anderson, Harry, Enunwa, Kearse, Peake and Roberts is solid group of receivers. Our TEs seem to be coming around. Darnold can grow with those guys.

4 hours ago, doumeyer said:

To start the year, I was thinking LT, LG and possibly TE and RB were needs. At WR I just thought it was a matter of signing our own guys. We can live another year with Beachum and our TEs are coming along. But now C and WR are an issue.

Now it looks like the top 3 needs on O are WR, LG, C and possibly RB and LT.

This team take once step forward, one step back. It’s like playing wack a mole. Frustrating.

Edited by SDotNova

On 10/26/2018 at 10:10 AM, Bobby816 said:

Well we have tried your way and it hasn’t worked. And that’s my point. You keep naming a handful a success stories. How about the countless guys that are out of the league that are drafted in that area. I guess don’t draft a QB high bc Brady was a late round pick, don’t draft WR high bc Brown was drafted late, don’t draft Edge rusher bc Wake was undrafted, etc.

You generally get the talent based on where you pick them. 

Crowell is an above average running back and the Jets have run the ball well most games this year. I don’t expect Powell back, so we may need some depth. Let’s see what Cannon, McGuire and Henderson have. The incremental improvement of getting someone better than Crowell may not be worth the investment.

Edited by SDotNova

Unless LG remains open entering the draft I can see Jets skip OT and scrap some OT off the street or UFDA pool. Next year's draft will have a stronger OT class.

Skipping WR in 1st round is possibility as Jets aren't ready to play fast strike offense.  However, AJ Brown could be an ideal if Jets fail to sign Big Q as I strongly advise Jets to secure Big Q contract. Whatever it is, a multi year contract or one year contract. It is up to Sam Darnold to make a WR his first go guy.

Last year, qb class was plenty and Jets got one. This year could have a plenty of Edges to be chosen and Jets happen to have real chance to land one. Jets can't ignore this position for 1st round pick.  Trade up if they have to.

That is what I believe Jets will be doing.

6 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Crowell is an above average running back and the Jets have run the ball well most games this year. I don’t expect Powell back, so we may need some depth. Let’s see what Cannon, McGuire and Henderson have. The incremental improvement of getting someone better than Crowell may not be worth the investment.

Crowell definitely isn't an above average player.  He isn't a feature RB at all.  He fits in RB committee only.  That is a logical explanation why Bobby is whining.

29 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

I can get down with Harry in the first. He’s that X WR we don’t have. Sign Enunwa,Tender Anderson, sign Kearse to a reasonable contract for his veteran presence.

Anderson, Harry, Enunwa, Kearse, Peake and Roberts is solid group of receivers. Our TEs seem to be coming around. Darnold can grow with those guys.

I have never seen Peake & Roberts ever do anything they are special teams players at best.