Marquel Lee?

Humble_Beast

3 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Lee Is already showing he can shed blocks, is good against the run, and is awareness is getting better so he is able to get to the right spot and make plays

Unless he improved his speed and can cover, he's just a 2 down guy.

I don't know why people get high on these 5th Round ILB's we always draft. Marquel is slow with not much explosiveness. He's solid depth but no where near starter material. He's basically Miles Burris and Ben Heeney all over again. If we ever want to address our future at ILB and take it seriously, we'll need to draft one in the second round. 

8 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I don't know why people get high on these 5th Round ILB's we always draft. Marquel is slow with not much explosiveness. He's solid depth but no where near starter material. He's basically Miles Burris and Ben Heeney all over again. If we ever want to address our future at ILB and take it seriously, we'll need to draft one in the second round. 

Is it wrong to say Lee's ceiling is to be another Kirk Morrison? He was never a flashy player but he sure did know where he needed to be.. Lee may never be an above average starter at MLB (like Morrison was for a couple of years) but he certainly has the potential to get there, even if it's unlikely.

He may also get cut next year after drafting a linebacker in the first three rounds. Is it wrong to hope that this doesn't happen? Wouldn't it be better for the Raiders if he shows up in the next two years as a solid starter?

Nothing wrong with fans hoping a player does well and he's giving us reason to hope this preseason. You may take it with a grain of salt, but PFF has him as the 4th best lb this preseason.

56 minutes ago, raiders4life said:

Is it wrong to say Lee's ceiling is to be another Kirk Morrison? He was never a flashy player but he sure did know where he needed to be.. Lee may never be an above average starter at MLB (like Morrison was for a couple of years) but he certainly has the potential to get there, even if it's unlikely.

He may also get cut next year after drafting a linebacker in the first three rounds. Is it wrong to hope that this doesn't happen? Wouldn't it be better for the Raiders if he shows up in the next two years as a solid starter?

Nothing wrong with fans hoping a player does well and he's giving us reason to hope this preseason. You may take it with a grain of salt, but PFF has him as the 4th best lb this preseason.

That's exactly who I thought of.  In fact I had the written in my post then deleted it before I hit the "submit reply" button.  

I would be fine with that too.  But the same guys who seem to be in love with Lee are the same ones who hated on Morrison after three years. O.o

1 hour ago, raiders4life said:

Kirk Morrison.. the most overrated Raider of all time. Average, at best. Stop looking at his tackle numbers. Morrison was soft and always took the worst angles possible. He was a sure tackler on a team where nobody could tackle. He got ran over easily, poor coverage, terrible angles, and a terrible blitzer. Our defense improved the moment Morrison was let go. 

11 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Kirk Morrison.. the most overrated Raider of all time. Average, at best. Stop looking at his tackle numbers. Morrison was soft and always took the worst angles possible. He was a sure tackler on a team where nobody could tackle. He got ran over easily, poor coverage, terrible angles, and a terrible blitzer. Our defense improved the moment Morrison was let go. 

Lol and he was replaced by one of the worst Raider LBs of all time. Lee could be fine, if you have an average player here or there with great ones around them, you’ll do fine. Also coaching matters, PG is the best DC the Raiders have had in a long time. Lee has played positively and i honestly want to make my final decision on him.

Morrison was played just about the time I turned in to a die hard Raider fan. He instantly became my favorite Raider. I remember the season him and Thomas Howard (RIP) went OFF on interceptions. Each had like 5 or something. Those were dark but fun days to fall in love with football.

4 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Morrison was played just about the time I turned in to a die hard Raider fan. He instantly became my favorite Raider. I remember the season him and Thomas Howard (RIP) went OFF on interceptions. Each had like 5 or something. Those were dark but fun days to fall in love with football.

I can see the argument that Morrison wasn't a very good LB. The fact is, those days were dark days for the Raiders and Morrison was an easy player to love. The same way that Marcel Reece was an easy guy to like, even if he was never a superstar.

To say the defense improved after he left is just bitter talk. No defense in the immediate years after Kirk were anything to be proud of and I don't think the 2010 defense would've been worse with Kirk instead of Rolando McClain..

Archived