Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

The hit didn't even look bad Tua initiated all the contact it looked like a routine play that's what was most alarming to me.

Watch the replay, it's the head hitting the ground, and whiplashing a little - it's called coup-contrecoup mechanism.  Hamlin's hit was negligible, it's the brain moving and being stopped when it hit the ground that did the damage.    

But yes, it's alarming that he is that vulnerable.    If you look at the hits Jordan Reed took on his way to 5 concussions (!!!) in 4 years, the last 1-2 were super mild in contact severity.    And the last one he took 4 years later was basically career ending (missed a whole year, tried to come back in 2020 and was cooked).

Edited by Broncofan

15 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Watch the replay, it's the head hitting the ground, and whiplashing a little - it's called coup-contrecoup mechanism.  Hamlin's hit was negligible, it's the brain moving and being stopped when it hit the ground that did the damage.    

But yes, it's alarming that he is that vulnerable.    If you look at the hits Jordan Reed took on his way to 5 concussions (!!!) in 4 years, the last 1-2 were super mild in contact severity.    And the last one he took 4 years later was basically career ending (missed a whole year, tried to come back in 2020 and was cooked).

Which is why after a certain point bigger softer helmets increase rather than reduce the risk. Throw in the fact that helmets give them a false sense of security and I’m actually an advocate of removing helmets altogether. Been a few studies that have shown rugby hits to the head are fewer by half and deliver ~1/3 the force (21 vs 63 gs) can’t regulate the violence completely out of the sport but by introducing (or in this case reducing) outside factors we can force players to adopt. (Though I admit it will be a very bloody first season as players try old school tackling and diving with no helmet)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Which is why after a certain point bigger softer helmets increase rather than reduce the risk. Throw in the fact that helmets give them a false sense of security and I’m actually an advocate of removing helmets altogether. Been a few studies that have shown rugby hits to the head are fewer by half and deliver ~1/3 the force (21 vs 63 gs) can’t regulate the violence completely out of the sport but by introducing (or in this case reducing) outside factors we can force players to adopt. (Though I admit it will be a very bloody first season as players try old school tackling and diving with no helmet)

It’s def the weaponinzing of helmets and lack of caution -  combine with insane speed / mass players have.   Like with hockey.   

The issue though is helmets save lives with things like bicycles - motorbikes (where direct impact is the issue)  don’t think public and esp youth sports they will ever accept that change.    I don’t think nuance like that will ever be accepted for such a change in practice in this era.   

Edited by Broncofan

5 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

My dad’s been saying this re: helmets since I was a kid. I used to think he was a rambling old man, but I definitely see wisdom in it now.

16 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

My dad’s been saying this re: helmets since I was a kid. I used to think he was a rambling old man, but I definitely see wisdom in it now.

Add in the fact that it provides added weight without supporting the fulcrum of the lever (the neck) at they really do contribute more to these rotational concussions 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Mine said the same. He played in leather helmets in HS. He said they were more for protecting your ears than anything else, and head injuries and concussions were really rare.

• Like 1

Just an interesting note. I'm feeling pretty good today. When I got back from Iraq in 2005 I had quite a bit of extra cash I didn't know what to do with so I bought a bunch of gold for $432 an ounce. Today it hit $2601.

Yee f**king haw!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Dbrog24 said:

For all of you that are disappointed tonight...just remember, we could always have Caleb Williams hahaha

He'll be fine, even if he's far from a "finished" or "sure-thing" prospect.    HOU blitzed him something like 42% of the time.   He actually played decently for the first 3Q's, but once HOU got up 2 scores, man, it was rough to watch.   

I'd kill to have Caleb Williams over Nix right now, NGL.   

The ultimate regret has to be in CAR.    Bryce Young in year 2 looking this bad?   And in case ppl think he was on his own...

Year 2, and this bad?  I stood heavily on the Stroud > Young camp, but never thought Young would be THIS bad.   To play that badly with no pressure, that's 25x more concerning than any performance yesterday (even Will Levis, who has given away 2 games now, shows glimpses of talent...may never figure it out, but you've got tools to work with).    Young could end up being the worst pick of all time, given the trade package CAR gave up to get him.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

Right on cue….

HC Canales rehabilitated Geno Smith and Baker Mayfield from the trash heap.     Cutting the cord this early speaks volumes to how poorly Young is playing right now.    

Andy Dalton is JAG but even that level of play is 10x better than Young’s.     Which says a lot.   

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Right on cue….

HC Canales rehabilitated Geno Smith and Baker Mayfield from the trash heap.     Cutting the cord this early speaks volumes to how poorly Young is playing right now.    

Andy Dalton is JAG but even that level of play is 10x better than Young’s.     Which says a lot.   

Maybe having the owner make personnel decisions isn’t the best idea. If only there had been some clue…

Just now, AnAngryAmerican said:

Maybe having the owner make personnel decisions isn’t the best idea. If only there had been some clue…

I will say it's good for CAR that Canales was able to make this call.  It signals to the team and fanbase that the owner isn't in charge anymore.  Which is how it should be.

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Caleb at least has borderline elite physical skills, something Nix lacks. 

Both have pretty good physical skills tbh and something I continue to be shocked about with Nix (though yes he has non-elite arm talent). I've been watching Caleb closely throughout preseason and his two games and it's been jarring his accuracy issues, especially on mid-long balls. He makes Nix look like a marksman. Caleb also has shown horrific decision making skills and making poor reads to throw into traffic or straight up into the bleachers (see: last play of his game last night). It looks like he straight up doesn't go through progressions or look people off with his eyes like Bo tries to do

He is very feast or famine and usually famine which is why I disagree w/ broncofan in that I haven't seen anything that would make me want him over Nix so far...not to say that can't change though.

Edited by Dbrog24

10 minutes ago, Dbrog24 said:

Both have pretty good physical skills tbh and something I continue to be shocked about with Nix (though yes he has non-elite arm talent). I've been watching Caleb closely throughout preseason and his two games and it's been jarring his accuracy issues, especially on mid-long balls. He makes Nix look like a marksman. Caleb also has shown horrific decision making skills and making poor reads to throw into traffic or straight up into the bleachers (see: last play of his game last night). It looks like he straight up doesn't go through progressions or look people off with his eyes like Bo tries to do

He is very feast or famine and usually famine which is why I disagree w/ broncofan in that I haven't seen anything that would make me want him over Nix so far...not to say that can't change though.

He lives on off script play-making and, a la Russ, but he’s more talented, more of Rodgers skill set. Problem is he isn’t anywhere close to as smart as Rodgers. And he learned he can get away with his physicals skills as he had even at D1 (again, PAC-12) and the NFL is just sooooooooooooooo much better. He will learn and grow or he will another USC bust. 

• Like 1