Preseason Game III : Titans @ Steelers (8/25 4 PM EST kickoff)

steelcurtain29

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

Chickillo is only making this team because of the lack of depth at OLB.  He has shown nothing in preseason.  Adams and Adeniyi have shown so much more.  i hope it is Chick's last season as a Steeler.

They've been playing Thomas a little at OLB. I'm wondering if they looking to see if they can cut Chick and keep Thomas. A kill 2 birds with 1 stone kinda thing. 

All this talk of ditching Chick warms my heart. He is literally exactly as good as he’ll ever be. He can’t improve anymore at OLB. He is a decent special teams guy but he’s probably the most replaceable LB we have. I’d keep Adams, Ola, Fort, and Thomas over Chick. 

I still fondly remember when everyone was on his jock because he had a bunch of sacks that game against the Browns. 

And before everyone starts firing back at me because I support Bud and not Chick. Bud is at least athletic and benefits the defense with coverage and blitzes. Chick does nothing.

Thats been my problem with some players on the roster, Chick is at the front of that line. I get not wanting to get worse at a position and thats always a risk but why stay 'stagnant' and thats what we are with Chickillo. He is what he is and thatll never change so if theres even remotely potential of improvement, it should get a spot over Chickillo, thats just my opinion.

18 hours ago, warfelg said:

Or Ben has almost always been wildly inaccurate in throwing high to a player.

It's always fun when you pull something like this out of your *** and act like it's common knowledge. I can't say that I recall anyone at any point in time since 2004 particularly noting Ben's accuracy issues when throwing "high" to a player. I'm sure that's in Belichick's crypt notes on how to stop Roethlisberger, though, now that you mention it.

santonio-holmes-pittsburgh-steelers-ariz

I know Ben was wildly inaccurate on that high throw to Holmes.

27 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

It's always fun when you pull something like this out of your *** and act like it's common knowledge. I can't say that I recall anyone at any point in time since 2004 particularly noting Ben's accuracy issues when throwing "high" to a player. I'm sure that's in Belichick's crypt notes on how to stop Roethlisberger, though, now that you mention it.

santonio-holmes-pittsburgh-steelers-ariz

I know Ben was wildly inaccurate on that high throw to Holmes.

I've actually always thought Ben threw high too at times. Especially early in games. I chalk it up to his being 6'5" and adrenaline. Whatever the reason, I doubt it's in an effort to hurt JJ and I assume your comment was tongue and cheek. 

*Such a great pic btw. The looks on those fans faces are awesome. One of the greatest Steeler moments ever. 

I've actually always thought Ben threw high too at times. Especially early in games.

Here, I know what you're referring to. He has stretches/moments like this. When he's struggling throwing the ball. I go back to the Ravens game after he came back from injury two years ago as a pretty prototypical example.

I legitimately don't get the statement that Roethlisberger is wildly inaccurate when attempting to throw high. The above is an issue where he's just off in general. Perhaps I'm reading too much into the remark, but I'm thinking in my head is he saying that Roethlisberger struggles to place the ball when he has to put it up higher on his receiver? Or with taller receivers/giving them balls they have to up and get? And I don't see that.

2 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

Here, I know what you're referring to. He has stretches/moments like this. When he's struggling throwing the ball. I go back to the Ravens game after he came back from injury two years ago as a pretty prototypical example.

I legitimately don't get the statement that Roethlisberger is wildly inaccurate when attempting to throw high. The above is an issue where he's just off in general. Perhaps I'm reading too much into the remark, but I'm thinking in my head is he saying that Roethlisberger struggles to place the ball when he has to put it up higher on his receiver? Or with taller receivers/giving them balls they have to up and get? And I don't see that.

Your reading way to much into it. Early in the season he doesn’t step into those passes which tend to let the ball sail causing inaccuracy. 

He generally doesn’t step into throws to place it high and relies more on arm touch thanlet power. Yes there are instances like the Santonio catch where he is on the money. There’s also times like the throw to Jesse where he’s way off. 

3 hours ago, Chieferific said:

I've actually always thought Ben threw high too at times. Especially early in games. I chalk it up to his being 6'5" and adrenaline. Whatever the reason, I doubt it's in an effort to hurt JJ and I assume your comment was tongue and cheek. 

*Such a great pic btw. The looks on those fans faces are awesome. One of the greatest Steeler moments ever. 

He just doesn’t step into throws early in the season and relies too much on his arm talent. 

Maybe early game adrenaline  contributes to his middle of the league QB rating. There has to be a reason for such a stat despite playing such a weak schedule last year. QBR isn't everything, but this was a lower rating than I expected. The idea that he is trying to hurt a teammate is something I never considered, but who knows. Not all teammates get along thats for sure.

3 hours ago, warfelg said:

Your reading way to much into it. Early in the season he doesn’t step into those passes which tend to let the ball sail causing inaccuracy. 

He generally doesn’t step into throws to place it high and relies more on arm touch thanlet power. Yes there are instances like the Santonio catch where he is on the money. There’s also times like the throw to Jesse where he’s way off. 

I argued last year that through the early portion of the season when everyone was complaining, that I saw a guy making a concerted effort not to get hurt. He doesn't want to plant because the most common injury he's taken in his career has been knee injuries. And I saw the same thing last night. And when he hurt his knee the year before, that was his main issue when he came back.

So if that's the point, we probably mostly agree. When he's off, he typically does throw high.

Archived