Preseason Week 4 Colts @ Bengals

MrCincinnati

As per preseason tradition, the Bengals finish things off with the Colts in the final game on a Thursday Night, and once again I mostly will not watch since College Football will be on that night as well. This is merely a game where the final position battles take place.

GAMEDAY

Game time is this Thursday Night at 7 PM ET on local 12. It will replay one time on the NFL on Saturday September 1st at 3 AM ET if you got nothing better to do.

5 THINGS TO WATCH FOR

5. Five or Six WR's - I've seen some of the comments on here suggest Auden Tate is not a lock based upon his performance the last 2 games, but to me he's already almost a lock. Right now we know Green, Ross, Boyd, and Malone are locked in, so its down to Tate, Erickson and Core for the final potential 2 spots. Core has missed some games due to injury though already and if he doesn't suit up in the final game, his fate is sealed IMO. And while it may seem like both Tate and Erickson could not make it, do we really think the Bengals will carry only 5 WR's on there roster?

4. Final Touches on the OL - This unit has somewhat surprised me this preseason as they've been very impressive with pass protection, but have struggled badly in the run blocking. Glenn, Boling, Fisher, and Price were all locks from the beginning, but it should be noted Price has been up and down in the preseason so maybe he plays a bit more in this final game. Bobby Hart who at first appeared to be fighting for a spot, seems to be a shoe in to start in week 1 despite not being that good. There are some questions on who starts at RG between Hopkins, Redmond and Westerman, but all 3 should be safe now to make the team. That now narrows it down to the veteran TJ Johnson, the underdog Perkins, and huge disappointment Ogbuehi. Cedric Ogbuehi who I thought was going to be a lock has done everything in his power to play himself out a job, and based upon the surprising cuts we have seen this month, he is now in danger of losing a spot to Johnson or Perkins.

3. Backup Quarterback - This position battle has went as expected this preseason as neither Barkley or Driskel have done anything to take a tight grip on the job, and Woodside is pretty much out of it. On paper Driskel has been slightly more impressive, but Barkley has been getting more reps as a 2nd string and based upon who starts the final game (assuming Dalton doesn't) and if they play well could very well determine the final factor. The Bengals may look to add Driskel on the practice squad, but then you risk the chance of another team picking him up.

2. Possible Surprise at RB - If there's one thing that's been awful this preseason its the running game in which people are expecting to be a focal point on this team to bounce back. It has shown so far with Mixon and Bernard and even Mark Walton who's struggles make me now wonder if he's even safe to make the team. Even if Walton is safe, Tra Carson or Brian Hill whom both have been very impressive in the preseason could look to jump ahead as the #3 RB on the depth chart. Before training camp, my assumption was they would only keep 3 RB's based on the talent they have, but Carson and Hill have played so far this month you have to give one of them a spot at this point. My prediction is whoever runs for 100 yards or more this game is going to make the team (if they even get that much of course).

1. Passion and Heart in the Secondary - While we can all agree the defensive line is still the biggest strength of the team, the secondary battle this year has been the most entertaining. You would think having 6 guys locked in already such as Kirkpatrick, Dennard, Jackson, Williams, Bates, and Fedejelem would already make it tough as well as Iloka being shockingly cut, but this is no ordinary group this year. Veterans such as Russell, Shaw, Wilson, and Mcrae, and rookies like Harris, Phillips, and Henderson are all very well much in the conversation to make the team. The only guy here that probably played himself in at this point is Keivarie Russell, but that still leaves at least 5 other guys looking to make the team (McRae has missed some time because of injury so that will hurt him). Regardless, this is a tough decision this team has to make, and I feel there isn't a clear decision on who should make it.

The starters aren't playing, especially since we see them again in a week.

The DBs will probably get a half each.  Whoever plays in the first half has the inside track for spots.  

As much of a lock as I thought Walton would be, how can you keep him?  Answer: Use Fisher as the FB and Uzomah as the h-back and keep 5 true halfbacks, with two inactice on Sundays.

WR  I want to see tate do something in a game, much like everyone wanted to see Ross finish off the bomb on the first play.

At OL, I would think we see a lot of Hopkins at C, Westerman at LG and Redmond at RG.  Or TJ Johnson at center.  Either way, I expect Woodside in the second half and Driskel/Barkley in the first half

Will be interesting to see if Woodside gets any action this game. Really hoping to see Walton do something this game. If he struggles again, I would find a way to put him on IR for the year (Bengals style). Tra Carson and Brian Hill’s vision look to be much better. 

I honestly don’t want to see any starter or important reserve player out there. Let the young kids looking to make a name play. 

22 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

I honestly don’t want to see any starter or important reserve player out there. Let the young kids looking to make a name play. 

I think the main battles to firm up are at the back end of the roster.

They probably need to roll Tate out there again and make him prove it again in live action.

Driskel and Barkley need to go another round.

I think we'll see Josh Shaw, Tony McRae and Brandon Wilson (plus some of the other guys battling for that last CB and S spot).

And it wouldn't shock me if they made Jordan Willis go 4 quarters (kidding, i hope).

Other than that, I think everyone else will ride the pine.  This is why they carry 90 through all four games now.

Tate i thought did well for himself last night.  Had some catches, and just barely missed one in the endzone.

Why in the world did Carl Lawson and Jordan Willis play?

I think the choice at QB is clear - has to be Driskel.

25 minutes ago, theJ said:

Tate i thought did well for himself last night.  Had some catches, and just barely missed one in the endzone.

Why in the world did Carl Lawson and Jordan Willis play?

I think the choice at QB is clear - has to be Driskel.

He was in.  marvin just didn't care enough.  he tapped his second foot in before lowering his heel.

And he looked great.

Color me shocked at all the "injuries" that happened to fringe guys.  I forget who hurt their shoulder, but when they were running off the field, he was carrying his other glove and I thought it was his wrist just flopping back and worth.  That would have been ugly.

7 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

He was in.  marvin just didn't care enough.  he tapped his second foot in before lowering his heel.

I thought the rule was that you had to lift your foot for the lowering of the heel not to rule you out?

In other words, if lowering the heel is in the same motion as the toe tap, you're out.

Yes or no???

3 hours ago, theJ said:

I thought the rule was that you had to lift your foot for the lowering of the heel not to rule you out?

In other words, if lowering the heel is in the same motion as the toe tap, you're out.

Yes or no???

Not if you are tapping toes, then going flat footed, unless it has cjanged.  Malone did the exact same thing at the end of the half.  And both times were on my side of the field right in front of me.

22 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Not if you are tapping toes, then going flat footed, unless it has cjanged.  Malone did the exact same thing at the end of the half.  And both times were on my side of the field right in front of me.

I'm not sure what the rule book says honestly.  Need a rules expert in here.

Archived