Jets trade QB Bridgewater to Saints

Dome

6 minutes ago, Raves said:

I think Teddy played well enough in Minnesota to give him a chance.  I mean guys like Sanchez and Leinart never had a year as good as Teddy and they stayed in the league as back-ups for awhile.

Yeah, I get it. Trust me, I want him to do good.
You'll laugh, but I'm still high on Hill in a few years.

28 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

Yeah, I get it. Trust me, I want him to do good.
You'll laugh, but I'm still high on Hill in a few years.

My concern for Hill is that he's already 28, he'll be 30 before he likely even sniffs starting in the NFL and I'd be worried that by that point it'll be too late.

4 hours ago, Raves said:

My concern for Hill is that he's already 28, he'll be 30 before he likely even sniffs starting in the NFL and I'd be worried that by that point it'll be too late.

Sometimes "fit" means more than natural talent... I love the fit with Teddy here. Is he Drew Brees... No but he can be a poor mans version of him and hes good enough to help the Saints remain contenders beyond Brees career.

12 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

Sometimes "fit" means more than natural talent... I love the fit with Teddy here. Is he Drew Brees... No but he can be a poor mans version of him and hes good enough to help the Saints remain contenders beyond Brees career.

We're going to need a poor man's version. We've got some high caliber players who are going to demand a lot of money over the next few years. MT, Kamara, Lattimore, Jordan, and some of the O-lineman... Here's to hoping we won't end up pulling a Seahawks, and actually pull a Patriots.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24529118/teddy-bridgewater-new-orleans-saints-says-mind-waiting-year-grow-drew-brees

Woke up this morning and saw this. Some notable quotes,

""I definitely don't mind waiting," said Bridgewater...  "For me, I get to take advantage of this opportunity to grow as a man and as a football player."

"You watch the tape, you look at the numbers and things like that, and you say, 'Wow.' It's an opportunity to be a part of something like that."

"I don't mind waiting. I get to learn from one of the best players to ever play this game, get to be in the room with a great group of guys, get to learn from Coach Payton. So I look forward to that."

It was a nice read, it seems like he is on board with the situation and wouldn't mind waiting until Bree's retires. 

1 hour ago, Breesus said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24529118/teddy-bridgewater-new-orleans-saints-says-mind-waiting-year-grow-drew-brees

Woke up this morning and saw this. Some notable quotes,

""I definitely don't mind waiting," said Bridgewater...  "For me, I get to take advantage of this opportunity to grow as a man and as a football player."

"You watch the tape, you look at the numbers and things like that, and you say, 'Wow.' It's an opportunity to be a part of something like that."

"I don't mind waiting. I get to learn from one of the best players to ever play this game, get to be in the room with a great group of guys, get to learn from Coach Payton. So I look forward to that."

It was a nice read, it seems like he is on board with the situation and wouldn't mind waiting until Bree's retires. 

I think he means waiting this season.

6 hours ago, JMG5 said:

I think he means waiting this season.

He definitely means this season, but I also think he sees the bigger picture and can get behind what Sean Payton has in mind for him. 

Like people have mentioned before, landing here is a great opportunity for him and if he sticks around, he will be put into an excellent position for a qb

8 hours ago, Breesus said:

He definitely means this season, but I also think he sees the bigger picture and can get behind what Sean Payton has in mind for him. 

Like people have mentioned before, landing here is a great opportunity for him and if he sticks around, he will be put into an excellent position for a qb

To resign Teddy it would still take making him one of if not the highest paid backups in the leauge but next offseason Mark Ingram is our only FA thats noteworthy and its highly possible he prices himself out of NOLAs price range. The Saints have built a talented roster with few holes so we likley wont be major players in FA either. 

New Orleans will also likley look to move on from pricy veterans like Kurt Coleman, Ted Ginn and AJ Klein. Even Max Unger could be out as the Saints prepare to extend players such as Mike Thomas, Sheldon Rankins, Andrus Peat and David Onyamata. They could also look to get a jump on contract talks with Marcus Williams, Marshon Lattimore and Alvin Kamara. 

Drew Brees and Terron Armstead are the most logical contracts that can have money converted to roster bonuses which could give Loomis and company more wiggle room... 

The point im trying to make here is that if in fact the Saints and Payton determine this year that Bridgewater is in fact the heir apparent to Brees, then they absoutley have the means to resign him even if its in a backup role for yet another season if Teddy is ok with being a high priced backup for a bit longer and by all accounts by what the man has said it appears that Bridgewater would be fine with that as he understands how unique an oppertunity it is for him to be in NOLA with the young talent here and the coaching staff around him.

I’m watching Deuce Windhams podcast, and Elias just reminded me that the Saints dint just trade for a backup with the potential to become our QBotF, but we bought the rights to scout him hands on and see exactly what we’d be getting in a year. If they KNOW he’s the future, I think there’s a legitimate chance they approach Brees about agreesing to a trade. 

On 9/1/2018 at 9:40 PM, Dome said:

I’m watching Deuce Windhams podcast, and Elias just reminded me that the Saints dint just trade for a backup with the potential to become our QBotF, but we bought the rights to scout him hands on and see exactly what we’d be getting in a year. If they KNOW he’s the future, I think there’s a legitimate chance they approach Brees about agreesing to a trade. 

I still didn't think Payton will ever trade Brees. He'll let him play out the remainder of his contract.

I believe Brees is thinking retirement... He will pass the all time pass yardage mark this year and likley needs next year to pass the all time TD pass mark as well. He'll chase those records with a team built to possibly help win him that coveted 2nd Superbowl. I frimly believe that the Saints understand that they are on a 2 year plan to replace Brees and the trade for Teddy gives them a proven player who fits the system, is young and can grow with the talent on this team. Teddy's personality fits the culture in NOLA and for him personally he finally has a front office that believes in him, a system and coach that can get the most out of him, a hall of fame quarterback to learn under and the most young offensive talent es ever had especially in front of him on the offensive line. This is a huge win for Teddy Bridgewater.

On 9/2/2018 at 7:35 AM, Mid Iowa said:

I still didn't think Payton will ever trade Brees. He'll let him play out the remainder of his contract.

On 9/2/2018 at 9:31 AM, NS922 said:

Drew is never playing for another team. I rarely make any kind of predictions, but that's one that I'm sure of.

Yeah, that was kind of crazy. 

4 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

I believe Brees is thinking retirement... He will pass the all time pass yardage mark this year and likley needs next year to pass the all time TD pass mark as well. He'll chase those records with a team built to possibly help win him that coveted 2nd Superbowl. I frimly believe that the Saints understand that they are on a 2 year plan to replace Brees and the trade for Teddy gives them a proven player who fits the system, is young and can grow with the talent on this team. Teddy's personality fits the culture in NOLA and for him personally he finally has a front office that believes in him, a system and coach that can get the most out of him, a hall of fame quarterback to learn under and the most young offensive talent es ever had especially in front of him on the offensive line. This is a huge win for Teddy Bridgewater.

Agreed.  Also this trade whether Teddy stays or not, means we get to see him first hand running our offense in practice, blowouts, and/or games were Brees gets rested, such as maybe if we lock up a 1st round bye, so we know if he can be the future or not.  Obviously this will mean we might have to pay him, but a creative contract might allow flexibility both to make sure Teddy can get paid but not overtax the Saints.

28 minutes ago, Raves said:

Agreed.  Also this trade whether Teddy stays or not, means we get to see him first hand running our offense in practice, blowouts, and/or games were Brees gets rested, such as maybe if we lock up a 1st round bye, so we know if he can be the future or not.  Obviously this will mean we might have to pay him, but a creative contract might allow flexibility both to make sure Teddy can get paid but not overtax the Saints.

If we can extend him this year it’s low cap hits for the first two years and big chunks of guaranteed on the years he’s expected to start. It’s the only way I can see it working for Teddy. He’s seen what an injury can do for a career. He’s gonna wanna guarantees, and if he’s not starting right away he’s gonna want bigger guarantees that assure him a starting job for at least a couple years after he takes over. If we don’t offer him that he’ll leave for another team that will. 

Archived