Raiders, Bears Reach Agreement on Khalil Mack Trade

ramssuperbowl99

1 minute ago, Heinz D. said:

Everybody and their brother knew that Trubisky should have sat lat last year, which is a big reason why Pace signed Mike Glennon--a move that backfired on the field, even though it helped accomplish Pace's draft deception. But yeah, we still have to see how Trubisky ends up. And he was far from brutal last year--that's pure hyperbole.

Your reasoning is all over the map on this. I suppose you must be panicking, or something. 

He was statistically a bottom 5 QB last year.  He was brutal, even if it was expected because he shouldn't have been starting.  Doesn't mean he can't improve, but he wasn't good last year.

3 minutes ago, fortdetroit said:

We are all hopeful about a new staff, I get it.  I'm hopeful about the Lions new coaching staff too.  But there is just as good of a chance they fail as they succeed.  Do I have to remind you about Trestman...and Fox?  The Bears fan base was excited about both.  Trestman was an innovative offensive mind, smarter than everyone.  Fox was a proven SB caliber coach who had a history of turning bad teams around.  I'm not ragging on Bears fans, we all do it, I do it do.  I just think trading for Mack at this point of the rebuild was an extremely risky move...maybe i'll be completely wrong and Trubisky is a stud and the bears D is top 5 and the bears are in the NFC championship.  I guess time will tell...wouldnt be the first time I've been wrong.  I just think it was way too risky of a move given what we know about the team at this point.

I'm just going to say this and be done. Bears defense was a top 10 unit last year. They've now added Roquan Smith, Kahlil Mack, and a healthy Danny Trevathan. This unit could easily be a top 5 unit this year. That's not a homer take either. Their offense was also colossally bad last year. To the point where not one of the starting WR's is even on a team this year bad. Their former head coach is now unemployed and was the most risk averse, boring, predictable, offensive game planner you have ever seen. Nagy is an enormous upgrade and such a boon to Trubisky's development just by simply NOT being John Fox/Loggains. I cannot overstate this enough. The difference between the Bears offense last year and this year is going to be gigantic. Now on top of that MAJOR upgrade they have added actual offensive weapons in Anthony Miller, Allen Robinson, Trey Burton, and Taylor Gabriel. And still have the old reliable Jordan Howard and electric Tarik Cohen coming out of the backfield. So if you really think Bears fans are excited about this team simply because of a coaching change...well I'll just say that's awfully short-sighted of you. 

3 minutes ago, ACO said:

The 2nd rounder is tripping me out. Out of all that they still recoup a high draft pick. I mean. Whew. If I were the Bears I would be laughing and partying. 

It’s essentially a trade-up in the 2020 draft, though. First round picks aside, it’s just a 2020 3rd and 2019 6th (to the Raiders) for a 2020 2nd and 5th (to the Bears). Would’ve been crazy if If was Mack+those picks for the two firsts.

Agreed that the Bears got a great deal.

2 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Yes, the Bears are clearly banking on Trubisky being a franchise quarterback.That's why they drafted him, and they're encourage by what they see from him.  If they're wrong and that plan fails, Pace most likely is in hot water. But do you honestly think they should manage the team differently than that? 

I think it would have been more prudent to keep rebuilding slowly, rather than going all in with a big splash before you really even know what your team/players are made of.  

1 minute ago, PossibleCabbage said:

What I wonder is "how close do the Bears think they are" since after paying Mack it's going to be harder to sign high end FAs, and they are low on "draft picks that matter" in the next couple years, so next year's Bears squad, and the Bears squad a year after are not likely to be markedly better than this year's Bear's squad.

Depends.  The NFC right now is stacked, but we're not terribly far removed from a Harbaugh-led Niners team that leaned on a strong running game and a high-caliber defense anchored by a stellar LB corps (also coordinated by the very same guy coordinating the Bears' D) that was able to ride an Alex Smith/Colin Kaepernick combo to multiple conference championship games and a Super Bowl berth.

Also, a GM's job is not to necessarily think about "how close are we" because you aren't always going to get that time (hell, it's entirely possible the current GM won't be there to be in a position to spend all those draft picks if the Bears don't get themselves a playoff berth over the next two seasons).  Your job is to assemble the best team you're in a position to assemble and trust the coaches you hired to do their job and the players on the field to execute theirs.

2 minutes ago, Pool said:

I'm just going to say this and be done. Bears defense was a top 10 unit last year. They've now added Roquan Smith, Kahlil Mack, and a healthy Danny Trevathan. This unit could easily be a top 5 unit this year. That's not a homer take either. Their offense was also colossally bad last year. To the point where not one of the starting WR's is even on a team this year bad. Their former head coach is now unemployed and was the most risk averse, boring, predictable, offensive game planner you have ever seen. Nagy is an enormous upgrade and such a boon to Trubisky's development just by simply NOT being John Fox/Loggains. I cannot overstate this enough. The difference between the Bears offense last year and this year is going to be gigantic. Now on top of that MAJOR upgrade they have added actual offensive weapons in Anthony Miller, Allen Robinson, Trey Burton, and Taylor Gabriel. And still have the old reliable Jordan Howard and electric Tarik Cohen coming out of the backfield. So if you really think Bears fans are excited about this team simply because of a coaching change...well I'll just say that's awfully short-sighted of you. 

I've heard this for like 10 years from Bears fans.  First it was when Cutler was traded for, they were going to be awesome.  Then when they fired the unimaginative Smith and brought in the offensive genius Trestman along with adding Marshall, Alshon, etc.  Then it was when they added Fox, who was a proven head coach who has shown to turn bad teams around. You guys are simply putting the cart before the horse....AGAIN.  Like you haven't learned your lesson yet.  You play in a division with a couple elite or near elite teams in the Packers and the Vikings....for that reason alone you should tempter your expectations.  

5 minutes ago, fortdetroit said:

He was statistically a bottom 5 QB last year.  He was brutal, even if it was expected because he shouldn't have been starting.  Doesn't mean he can't improve, but he wasn't good last year.

You clearly did not watch him.  He wasn't brutal.  He was handicapped by some of the worst playcalling I have ever seen in my entire life, and a WR core that barely deserved to be on an NFL practice squad due to injuries. 

2 minutes ago, fortdetroit said:

I think it would have been more prudent to keep rebuilding slowly, rather than going all in with a big splash before you really even know what your team/players are made of.  

Honest question: How many "slow rebuilds" have we actually seen succeed in the past decade or so?  Slow rebuilds are great in theory, but they rarely come to fruition in practice because, barring getting some phenomenal luck with draft position and picks, the organization loses patience with some combination of the GM and/or coach and the reset button gets hit too many times, because ultimately their job is to put wins in the win column.

2 minutes ago, fortdetroit said:

I've heard this for like 10 years from Bears fans.  First it was when Cutler was traded for, they were going to be awesome.  Then when they fired the unimaginative Smith and brought in the offensive genius Trestman along with adding Marshall, Alshon, etc.  Then it was when they added Fox, who was a proven head coach who has shown to turn bad teams around. You guys are simply putting the cart before the horse....AGAIN.  Like you haven't learned your lesson yet.  You play in a division with a couple elite or near elite teams in the Packers and the Vikings....for that reason alone you should tempter your expectations.  

You are ridiculous. Thank you for not responding to even one of my points. And as a Bears fan for a long, long time I can tell you that on paper this is easily the best offseason I've ever witnessed. 

Archived