History of torn ACL injuries

SteelersFanMD

4 minutes ago, SteelersFanMD said:

What I am trying to figure out is what NFL team (out of the 32 in the NFL) have had the most players with a torn ACL injury.  If anyone wants to take a guess, all I have to say is, "Go for it."  There is no right or wrong answer.

But it is a fact and therefore there is a right answer and 31 wrong answers

1 minute ago, Hunter2_1 said:

But it's also one you can come back from and be just as good, if not better. E.G Peterson and Gronk.

Are the new surgically repaired knees not stronger than before? I thought I read that somewhere

21 minutes ago, SteelersFanMD said:

No NFL player, whether he is a rookie or an established veteran, is ever safe from the possibility of a torn ACL that could end his season before it gets started.

Correct

5 minutes ago, SteelersFanMD said:

I would not know how many players from a  particular NFL team have had a torn ACL since this particular type of injury has become common in not just football, but basketball and baseball as well (I don't think a torn ACL has occurred in hockey)

So what should we do about this epidemic? 

I for one am partial to removing the ACL from the players so they can't be torn. Thoughts?

ACL tears are more easily diagnosed in the last 10-20 years vs 40-50 years ago.  There very well may not be more of them occurring, just more easily diagnosed.

In todays NFL and sports overall, just about any acute injury leads to an MRI...which is the gold standard for diagnosing ACL tears.  Years ago, there were a lot less MRI's done.

Think of your uncle's "trick knee" from his HS playing days.   That was likely an ACL tear, not diagnosed.

Archived