Special K (and P and LS and the rest of the special teams unit)

Klomp

5 hours ago, vike daddy said:

huh? whut?

Sherels was good fir very little than a reliable catch on punts lately. we should strive for more production than that.

Yes, he was a limited player, but he was extremely good at his role. Not everyone is a jack of all trades type of players.

Chad Beebe and Mike Hughes have muffed a total of 6 punts so far. We haven't made a move to replace them at the position.

For what its worth, I think we value ST just as much as we used to. It was apparent that Vedvik and Wile weren't cutting it.

I am just frustrated with the results we've got from punt return team...I guess.

Field goal kicking across the NFL in 2019 has been far less consistent than any time in recent memory.

Kicking has become remarkably consistent in the NFL. In each of the last five seasons, the conversion rate for field goals has fallen between 84 and 85 percent league wide. But through 11 weeks this season, the NFL is seeing its worst kicking output in 16 years.

According to Teresa Walker of the Associated Press, kickers this season have converted just 79.7 percent of field goal tries. Via Pro Football Reference, 40 kickers have combined to convert 496 of 622 attempted field goals so far this year. The last time the league failed to achieve an 80 percent conversion rate for field goals was in 2003 when just 79.2 percent of field goals were successful.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/11/20/field-goal-percentage-across-nfl-worst-its-been-since-2003/

Bailey is currently 15 for 17 on FG's, a 88.2% rate.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Vikings kicker Dan Bailey was fantastic through the regular season, making 27-of-29 (93.1 percent) of his field goal attempts. His only two misses came at Green Bay and at Detroit in Weeks 2 and 7, respectively. Minnesota is fourth-best in field goal rate behind Jacksonville (97.1), Baltimore (96.6) and Pittsburgh (93.6).

https://www.vikings.com/news/vikings-saints-numbers-note-wild-card-game-mike-zimmer-100th-game-min

6 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Vikings kicker Dan Bailey was fantastic through the regular season, making 27-of-29 (93.1 percent) of his field goal attempts. His only two misses came at Green Bay and at Detroit in Weeks 2 and 7, respectively. Minnesota is fourth-best in field goal rate behind Jacksonville (97.1), Baltimore (96.6) and Pittsburgh (93.6).

https://www.vikings.com/news/vikings-saints-numbers-note-wild-card-game-mike-zimmer-100th-game-min

It sure seems like he missed more than that but it was probably just the nerves Everytime we lined up for a kick. And he had a few missed extra points

• 4 weeks later...

The Vikings signed punter Britton Colquitt right before the 2020 season after he was released by the Browns. It turned out to be the right move.

The 34-year-old veteran averaged 45.2 yards per punt and the folks over at Pro Football Focus graded Colquitt as the third-best punter in the entire NFL. Colquitt’s contract is expired and he’ll be a free agent in 2020, but it makes all the sense in the world for the Vikings to bring him back, along with kicker Dan Bailey.

The team’s cap situation is tight, but both Colquitt and Bailey should be affordable enough for the team to bring them back.

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2020/01/26/vikings-should-bring-p-britton-colquitt-back-in-2020/

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Britton Colquitt told Chris Tomasson of the Pioneer Press that he expects to re-sign with the team before the start of free agency, but after the results of the players’ vote on the proposed Collective Bargaining Agreement has wrapped up. Colquitt said that his agent has spoken to the team about a three-year deal with guaranteed money over the first two seasons. He’s not certain of the financial terms, but said they are within parameters that work for the team.

Colquitt: “My agent came up with a deal that is not outlandish and crazy, but it also puts me in a category of what we feel like I’ve earned. The Vikings haven’t given us an offer. They’ve just accepted the proposal and said, ‘You know, we think that’s a fair deal. We just have to figure out where we can make some space.'”

Colquitt was the Vikings’ fourth punter in as many years. He had a net average of 42.6 yards per kick last season.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/03/11/britton-colquitt-expects-to-re-sign-with-vikings/

On 3/12/2020 at 2:03 PM, VikeManDan said:

That is encouraging news. Hopefully Bailey isn't far behind.

bailey was one of the best kickers last season (4th best %), missing only two field goals in the 40-49 yard range and nailing everything else. he missed 4 PATs which is a little below average but considering his field goal success i'm sure he's going to get offered something around $4 mil AAV on the open market. we paid him $1 mil last season.

colquitt had a great season punting and holding and we paid him slightly less than $1 mil. 

together we paid slightly less than $2 million for both bailey and colquitt and got great performances out of both of them. if we had to pay them both market value we'd be looking at like $6-7 million combined, which we definitely can't afford. 

it's sad to say because it looks like our kicking/punting situation had been fixed after so many years of frustration but imo we're more likely to have two rookie (or UDFA) ST kickers than retaining both bailey and colquitt. my guess is if anything we bring colquitt back on a $2-2.5 mil deal and go with a rookie kicker.

3 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

We just cleared $19M in cap space...

and have a TON of spots to fill. our secondary is pretty much bare-bones at this point, our DTs are underwhelming at best, we only have 2 DEs and one was a rotational player last season, annoying positions like FB to fill, etc. 

and we have to do that with about $17 million, considering we'll need to sign our draft class and even after all that we'll have no cap space for in-season acquisitions. 

we're going to have to prioritize big time this off season and honestly if spielman can put together (and zimmer lead) anything better than a 9-7 roster then i will be very impressed. given our complete lack of cap space to sign vet free agents, we're going to have to hope to retain our own free agents on the cheap and then add as many rookies we can. which sucks, because scouting is going to be very limited leading up to the draft.

6 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

this thread is about discussions relative to special teams.

are you referring to my post? do you know the context of it?

also, sorry i didn't have any sources from vikings.com.

Edited by whitehops
sources
  • Like 1