Dak - Grown Man

textaz03

14 hours ago, resilient part 2 said:

Dak at times as you say holds the ball too long, and yes I wish he would just take off and run. I wonder how much is that with him or its what the coaches are trying to force him to not run as much. By the way making quicker decisions with the ball from Dak's point of view and maybe coaching  and play calling does need to improve especially behind this bad offensive line

It is always a balance here like you’ve said the running issue from what I’ve seen teams have been focused on setting the edge against us when rushing pass downs getting their ends up field cutting off Dak from escaping and our front line blocking have not given Dak hardly any open lanes going forward I also have heard it said he is being asked to not RUN between the 20’s

quicker decisions with ball as you noted have to correspond to quicker routes and players capable of getting open quickly I have said from the beginning this is the biggest help Cooper has supplied to Dak before we just had zneasley and he was very inconsistent in this area and teams schemes to take him away as well    

I just remember two plays in a recent game both Dak got crucified on to point out the critical balance between QB holding ball and tossing it quick 

play 1   Dak goes back glances to his right rt tackle is engaged with rusher maybe 1-2 yards past LOS seems to be in good position  Dak stops sets his feet going through progressions middle of field to the left at this point Dak is hit from his right as the rusher badly beat his rt tackle who actually tried and failed to hold    Result strip sack fumble recovered by the rusher

Dak crucified for fumbling holding the ball 

same game later 

play 2  Dak goes back to pass glances left guard engaged with rusher 1-2 yards past LOS  rusher not free but getting a heavy push Dak at this point drops the pass off to Elliot in the flat

Dak crucified for not throwing the ball down field and instead dropping it off in the flat

These two plays illistrate  the balance in both cases at Dak first glance the rusher was not Free but there was a sign of danger in the first as it was a key play a sack was not the worst that could happen Dak actually did right in trusting his linemen in hoping to keep a drive in red zone going and make a play.   HIS mistake was the fumble not he Sack.   Okay two he might have not given the play enough time but he was being hit and sacked a lot and giving the ball to a open Elliot in the flat is never a totally bad choice

what frustrates me in the bash Dak debate is yes Dak has a lot of learning in terms of pocket awareness but he is constantly being bashed for all the throws to the flat and also for holding the ball too long.     Those two things can not coexist and maybe people should think a moment and realize that while yes Dak is not great dealing with the rush   It is more the failure of the OL that has amplified the problems 

just think back to the NO game.  Why did we win it in such a dominate fashion our D put Brees in situations he and his offense were not comfortable in.  Does this make Brees any less of a HOF QB because he didn’t succeed in a difficult situation no 

in a lot of ways that’s the function of any D disrupt the other teams offense don’t let them do the things they want to do    

Right now IMO our offense struggles to score because our OL at times does not execute well enough and makes too many mistakes for us to succeed in the type of plays our coaching staff want to run 

3 minutes ago, D82 said:

Another knock on Linehan....

Drives me insane. His main tool in college was running the ball, and we somehow think he will be Peyton Manning in the pocket?  Why would you even want to try to change him into that? You aren't saving him from getting hit if he's just going to hold onto the ball until he gets hit.

6 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Drives me insane. His main tool in college was running the ball, and we somehow think he will be Peyton Manning in the pocket?  Why would you even want to try to change him into that? You aren't saving him from getting hit if he's just going to hold onto the ball until he gets hit.

How the guy has a job still amazes me.

2 minutes ago, D82 said:

How the guy has a job still amazes me.

Easy for us to say he should be used like Cam in the running game, while Linehan doesn't want to risk it.  Now Cam is getting shut down for the season because of a nagging injury. 

But something has got to give. Russ Wilson lead the hawks in rushing last year, and they ended our season.

You know I don't think Dak has the arm that Cam or Wilson have, but he should be an easy comp to the way they run with the ball, and he's bigger than both. Yeah, Cam is tall, but I think Dak is more dense. They weigh about the same but Dak has it squeezed on a 6'2" frame.  He should be able to handle it. 

Plus, we need to win games.

22 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Easy for us to say he should be used like Cam in the running game, while Linehan doesn't want to risk it.  Now Cam is getting shut down for the season because of a nagging injury. 

But something has got to give. Russ Wilson lead the hawks in rushing last year, and they ended our season.

You know I don't think Dak has the arm that Cam or Wilson have, but he should be an easy comp to the way they run with the ball, and he's bigger than both. Yeah, Cam is tall, but I think Dak is more dense. They weigh about the same but Dak has it squeezed on a 6'2" frame.  He should be able to handle it. 

Plus, we need to win games.

He doesn't even have to run it all the time. Just let the guy move in and outside the pocket more. 

57 minutes ago, D82 said:

He doesn't even have to run it all the time. Just let the guy move in and outside the pocket more. 

Make the guy move outside the pocket more. Design plays that get him moving and give him the option to tuck and go if he doesn't like what he sees. 

I know they have the in between the 20s rule, where they won't call a designed QB run, but I doubt there's a no scrambling on a bad play rule.  He clearly doesn't enjoy throwing it away 

What's sad is they came out in the offseason and basically said they were scrapping everything and literally said they were building a Dak friendly offense.

It's obvious that they installad an offense that requires a pocket pass, and it's pretty clear in one way or another that they have coached Dak to not run. They have advised him to hang in the pocket and make plays. 

We call the same routes over and over and over again. Triple comebacks. Amari Cooper said the eagles CB knew he was running a slant, and he's been "running a lot of slants since I've been here."

That's garbage. 

Who looks at Dak Prescott and designs this offense around him, and has the gall to call it Dak friendly?

I totally agree that Dak needs to improve his pocket awareness

but MAN if you really watch those vids closely they also are a clinic for how a OL should keep working and stay on blocks to support your QBs. In both cases when Romo is throwing the ball all rushers have been accounted for and are being blocked AWAY from Romo

in a lot of ways they remind me of the last few games Ware had here.   He would get a hard rush to the outside seemingly beeting the  blocker the QB would take a half step up and the blocker would easily then push Ware past the QB and out of harms way I would get so frustrated watching it happen play after play 

Two things:  

1.  Romo played behind some of the worst OLs in the history of the NFL.  Jerry’s utter refusal to give Tony even a decent OL caused a bitter hatred toward Jerry that I’m still not over.  Jerry at one point even stated that he justified the cow dung OLs he gave Tony because Tony was elusive and didn’t need a good OL.  

2.  It’s incredibly unfair to Dak or any other QB to be compared to Romo in terms of pocket awareness and escapability.  It’s like criticizing other QBs because they’re not as fast as Mike Vick or not as powerful as cam Newton or not as good at reading defenses as Manning.  

Just for the record everyone seems to be saying SL should be fired for whatever various reasons concerning not putting in situations where Dak can run Etc. But that is just one of the many reasons why JG should be fired as well. If we as fans can see it and he is the head coach certainly has the authority to make changes concerning that aspect of the offense. I've been hating JG for a lot longer than SL and they really both need to be out of there

Using that strength and Mobility as a runner should be inputted not restricted. It will leave for more for the defense to guess what Dallas does versus they're consistent predictable plays

1 minute ago, resilient part 2 said:

Just for the record everyone seems to be saying SL should be fired for whatever various reasons concerning not putting in situations where Dak can run Etc. But that is just one of the many reasons why JG should be fired as well. If we as fans can see it and he is the head coach certainly has the authority to make changes concerning that aspect of the offense. I've been hating JG for a lot longer than SL and they really both need to be out of there

Agreed.  But the issue is that it’s harder to find a HC than an OC.  While Garrett is not a great HC, he doesn’t blatantly suck either.  As others have stated before me, He is the definition of mediocrity.  And the biggest issue w/ JG in this favor is that the Jones’ family trusts him which is okay when it comes to the draft and most personnel decisions.  

The flip side of firing JG is that you don’t know who Jerry will hire and how much influence the new coach will have on Jerry.  Those are scary questions.  As bad as SL is as an OC, JG was actually quite a bit worse.  So, while I think JG should have been fired years ago... he’s not a bad personnel guy.  

Archived