Around the NFL

KingTitan

3 hours ago, KingTitan said:

He physically doesn't have the ability to do the things Barkley can do
Dion has a better chance of pulling of those moves.  
Henry just can't do that......

I’m not talking about his ability. I’m talking about trying as hard.

On 10/12/2018 at 12:40 PM, seminoles1 said:

What would you guys want the Titans to do if the Giants offered a 2019 1st, 2019 2nd, and change for Mariota?

I would decline the offer personally, but I’m not sure what kind of offer I would accept. Others may agree or disagree, but Marcus is not the problem with the offense and is our franchise guy even with the injury-proneness. It would take a lot for me to trade him away.

20 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

I would decline the offer personally, but I’m not sure what kind of offer I would accept. Others may agree or disagree, but Marcus is not the problem with the offense and is our franchise guy even with the injury-proneness. It would take a lot for me to trade him away.

Based on what?  We're talking about a horribly inconsistent and injury prone QB for a high 1st and 2nd round pick.

56 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Based on what?  We're talking about a horribly inconsistent and injury prone QB for a high 1st and 2nd round pick.

You're giving up on a season where you lead your division by trading away your QB for a couple draft picks that for all you know could end up being awful? Going in to a draft where the best QB is like..Justin Herbert out of Oregon?

Yea...no.

You let Marcus ride out the season, see how he progresses in the offense that pretty much every analyst said would take quite a bit of time to click(and that was assuming we'd have Delanie Walker and Rishard Matthews).

You don't end your season and go to Blaine Gabbert for a couple of draft picks.

This defense is good enough to keep the team in every game, Marcus and this offense for the inconsistency it's shown has shown the ability to score in the end when needed on a consistent basis.

I would seriously consider stopping my support of this franchise if they made a decision that stupid. Whether or not Marcus ends up being here long term for whatever reason, you don't give up on your season like that.

My mind almost can't comprehend how stupid that would be.

29 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

He led us to back to back winning seasons, a playoff appearance, a playoff victory, is excellent in the redzone, and has proven over and over he’s clutch when the game’s on the line. Sounds to me like your part of the crowd that likes to ignore his first 2 seasons and judge him strictly based off of last year. If you watched him last year, and I mean every singe snap of every single game (which I know you didn’t because nobody watches the Titans), you would understand why he had a down a year.

Besides, if he’s so horribly inconsistent and injury prone why would the Giants even offer a high 1st and 2nd? Kind of a dumb question to ask if those are such great assets and Marcus is that bad.

First of all, I'm assuming we're talking a trade offer after the season... And assuming we miss the playoffs or are one and done...

Man... I love Mariota. His was the first jersey I bought after years of not buying any titans merch (my form of protesting the direction of the team I didn't agree with... Mularkey, etc)... 

And yes I still think he can develop further... He hadn't reached his ceiling, not even close. 

But I'm under the belief that with the state of qb contracts, only 2 types of teams win SBs... Teams with elite franchise QBs... And teams with good QBs still on a rookie contract.

Mariota's cap hit goes from 7m to 21m this coming season. And he'll probably get at least a Carr level contract soon after or even in lieu of. 

Even though I do like and think he's still growing and getting better... I don't think I'd be able to pass up a top 3 overall pick and another top 35 pick (plus change) if I thought I could get a good qb at 3. (I haven't been paying attention so I can't say for certainty if that's available in this draft. 

10 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

First of all, I'm assuming we're talking a trade offer after the season... And assuming we miss the playoffs or are one and done...

Man... I love Mariota. His was the first jersey I bought after years of not buying any titans merch (my form of protesting the direction of the team I didn't agree with... Mularkey, etc)... 

And yes I still think he can develop further... He hadn't reached his ceiling, not even close. 

But I'm under the belief that with the state of qb contracts, only 2 types of teams win SBs... Teams with elite franchise QBs... And teams with good QBs still on a rookie contract.

Mariota's cap hit goes from 7m to 21m this coming season. And he'll probably get at least a Carr level contract soon after or even in lieu of. 

Even though I do like and think he's still growing and getting better... I don't think I'd be able to pass up a top 3 overall pick and another top 35 pick (plus change) if I thought I could get a good qb at 3. (I haven't been paying attention so I can't say for certainty if that's available in this draft. 

It would make very little sense if the offer were meant to be after the season. If Marcus hadn't played well enough to establish that at the very least he was going to be our QB in 2019, why on earth would the Giants offer multiple high draft picks for him?

13 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

If he hasn’t come close to reaching his ceiling, why not use some of our cap space and draft capital to give him the help he’s been lacking his entire career instead of just giving up on him for a couple of picks that are complete unknowns?

10 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

It would make very little sense if the offer were meant to be after the season. If Marcus hadn't played well enough to establish that at the very least he was going to be our QB in 2019, why on earth would the Giants offer multiple high draft picks for him?

From the Giants perspective... They would present him with the type of weapons he never had before. Obj is the tore of receiver (talent/production wise) that we hope Davis develops into one day... Barkley appears to be that generational type of back that any qb would love to have... Sheperd and Engram are good 3rd and 4th options... And 3 of those players are still in their time contracts. They also have Solder and Hernandez set... Just need a couple more OL. 

Maybe they think they can make a serious run really soon. As recently as last year, the Giants were a trendy SB pick. 

5 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

If he hasn’t come close to reaching his ceiling, why not use some of our cap space and draft capital to give him the help he’s been lacking his entire career instead of just giving up on him for a couple of picks that are complete unknowns?

We haven't spent it the past few seasons, being one of the type 5 teams in terms of cap space flexibility. 

But now that we've paid Lewan, will be paying Mariota, and have core players coming up soon (Conklin, Bayard to start), we're suddenly going to start investing heavily in weapons for Mariota. I'm not sold that's the approach JRob and Vrabel have in mind. 

Let's not forget Mariota was not either of their choice. If they want to go the Rams, Bears, Eagles route of surrounding a cheap young QB with weapons, Mariota doesn't fit that cheap definition after this year, and definitely after that. 

57 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

We haven't spent it the past few seasons, being one of the type 5 teams in terms of cap space flexibility. 

But now that we've paid Lewan, will be paying Mariota, and have core players coming up soon (Conklin, Bayard to start), we're suddenly going to start investing heavily in weapons for Mariota. I'm not sold that's the approach JRob and Vrabel have in mind. 

Let's not forget Mariota was not either of their choice. If they want to go the Rams, Bears, Eagles route of surrounding a cheap young QB with weapons, Mariota doesn't fit that cheap definition after this year, and definitely after that. 

With everything that’s happened so far this year there’s no way Robinson doesn’t address it and he doesn’t have to address it heavily per say. We can likely find a good-solid receiver on a good deal like we did Rishard a couple years back. In fact, we wish we had somebody like John Brown on our team right now and Baltimore only signed him for 1 year and $5 million this past offseason. Spend a 2nd-3rd rounder on another wideout in the draft and we’re looking good on weapons.

Davis-FA-Taylor-Draft pick-Sharpe paired with Dion and a hopefully healthy Delanie going in to the 2nd season of LaFleur’s offense and then we’ll be talking. We would be making a huge mistake if we gave up on Marcus. Are you really ready to roll the dice and very possibly go back to the Young-Collins-Hasselback-Locker-Mettenberger era? I’m not.

Edited by dtait93

I just don't think I could bring myself to give up on Marcus regardless of the compensation at this point in his career. First of all, as a fan it would just make me really sad and second of all, the way that the team rallies around him to me is a very special trait that few QBs actually have. He might not always light it up statistically, but he is the type of QB that guys want to win for.  Who's to say that a new guy that we decide to draft has a trait like that? Some would probably say we'd be playing it a little scared from a GM perspective and maybe so, but I'm a lot more comfortable with keeping Marcus/adding a more competent backup for when injuries pop up and going forward building around Marcus instead of drafting another unknown at the QB position again. Maybe it's a bit of battered fan syndrome too. We've been through so many QBs since Steve that I don't think I could handle going through it all over again when we have a guy in Marcus that we've seen promise out of, and I truly believe he could get us to championship level contenders if he has the pieces around him.