Around the NFL

KingTitan

5 hours ago, titans0021 said:

But then, when exactly is our SB window supposed to open up? After we give Marcus huge money? When we start a search for a new QB? When we have to pay Conklin and Byard big money?

Adding a receiver gives us a chance to actually evaluate our QB without having him throw touchdowns and downfield passes only to have them dropped. Or to have him hesitate because he has no confidence in his options. This group is doing the future of the franchise a massive disservice. That alone is worth a mid-round pick to try to fix all day.

Hell, we haven’t even brought in a free agent. We’re too busy adding a fullback so we can run more heavy sets.

We can actually evaluate our QB now. Everyone is just in denial about it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

We can actually evaluate our QB now. Everyone is just in denial about it.

Not everyone is in denial. Just not everyone agrees with your scale of assessment or grading. Nobody is saying he could be this All-Pro QB only if he had this or that.

I know me for example, i'm saying the team, offense and his numbers would be better if he had this or that.  That doesn't change his skill level or ability to make plays or not. But I think we'd be a better team and see more consistency from him if he had this or that. 

Listen the hate on Jon is crazy. We werent one injury away from having lack of depth. WE LOST WALKER! He was the best "Always open" guy. Marcus mariotas GUY! WEEK 1

But we still had Matthews and Davis. Matthews quit the team AND thats where it fell a part. Having depth is great but damn any team that loses two of three top pass catchers is in trouble. And yeah we should have made a trade. We tried with a WEAK 6th for DT. I really wanted Djax but you know we do have a TOP 5 PICK WR in Corey Davis. He has to step up. 

And lets hope Fowler helps the running game cause the weather is getting cold soon and Henry was beast mode late last year. idk. 

It is what it is. Side note. I dont want him... BUT DEZ IS STILL SITTING RIGHT THERE LOL. Or maybe we know without Walker or a TE we arent making a run and we are saving picks and about to tank. Who knows. 

I still have faith in this season. I think his hand being healed after the bye will help his confidence.  The defense is going to have to do more. Evans needs to grow up faster and we need Kenny back. And H3 needs to start racking up some sacks and we can win the south.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Not everyone is in denial. Just not everyone agrees with your scale of assessment or grading. Nobody is saying he could be this All-Pro QB only if he had this or that.

I know me for example, i'm saying the team, offense and his numbers would be better if he had this or that.  That doesn't change his skill level or ability to make plays or not. But I think we'd be a better team and see more consistency from him if he had this or that. 

Well maybe I didn't mean everyone, but anyone who thinks you can't evaluate Mariota because of his weapons is in denial. You can evaluate him. He's just not performing well and people don't like that. So they want to blame it on not having an all star cast of receivers. 

Would he be better with better receivers? Sure, any QB is better with better weapons. Most good ones don't struggle to get 15 points and 200 yards passing regardless of cast though. Maybe a couple times, but 8 out of his last 12 games under 185 yards, 5 of which were under 135? You can evaluate that. That's nearly a season of data going into year four of his career. He can win, but he's going to need more help than the elite guys, particularly a running game.

Honestly, I think people would be talking about Corey Davis as the next big thing if he were on a number of other teams. 

People rip the fullback signing, and maybe it doesn't help, but a functioning running game helps Mariota more than another outside receiver in my mind.

54 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Well maybe I didn't mean everyone, but anyone who thinks you can't evaluate Mariota because of his weapons is in denial. You can evaluate him. He's just not performing well and people don't like that. So they want to blame it on not having an all star cast of receivers. 

Would he be better with better receivers? Sure, any QB is better with better weapons. Most good ones don't struggle to get 15 points and 200 yards passing regardless of cast though. Maybe a couple times, but 8 out of his last 12 games under 185 yards, 5 of which were under 135? You can evaluate that. That's nearly a season of data going into year four of his career. He can win, but he's going to need more help than the elite guys, particularly a running game.

Honestly, I think people would be talking about Corey Davis as the next big thing if he were on a number of other teams. 

People rip the fullback signing, and maybe it doesn't help, but a functioning running game helps Mariota more than another outside receiver in my mind.

I think it goes back to expectations.  Mariota is probably this generation's Steve McNair, at least for this franchise, honestly.  Both had decorated college careers, lighted it up through the air and ground in college. Both showed signs of brilliance while having head scratching performances. 
McNair wasn't viewed as elite, he was just a good NFL QB.

I don't think Mariota is playing terrible. I do think if he had some of those catches made, his numbers would look better and not as many people would be down on him at the moment. I don't think its fair to not blame the receivers for the struggle, just as it's not fair to not blame Mariota.  
I personally think this is who Marcus is.  He is going to be a 3,500 or so passer (if he plays most of his games) 24-10/26-13/28-12 TD to INT guy. He might have that outlier year like McNair and have a 4,000 34 TD 9INT type year if everything goes right for him. 

I personally don't think that is anything to be upset about. Yes we drafted him #2 and the #2 pick you'd like for him to be the next Rodgers/Brady, but I think we are seeing that doesn't always work that way. (i.e. Jameis Winston). 

So Marcus is projected to be at about 3400 yards 22 TDs and 14 INTs this year (looking around).  If we know he is going to be that type of QB, why not try to surround him with as much receiving talent as possible, instead of being mad he can't turn inconsistent WRs into great ones like some of the elite guys. 
OR
We can scrap it all and hope we can draft the next Brady/Rodgers again in the draft.  

Regarding Corey Davis, yeah he might be doing differently on another team, but some of his traits and play would translate to inconsistency wherever he played. None of those 1st round WRs have shown they were worth a top 10 pick. So maybe he would be exactly where he is now?

He's never going to put up consistently good numbers to outside WRs. He doesn't need Golden Tate, he needs Walker back. That underneath receiver. He needs a running game. You want to help him out go out and get him some guys who can run block on the interior. People are focused on getting a receiver for a year so we pretend we don't have bigger issues.

I won't say replace him because there's not going to be anyone to replace him with, but if you really wanna help him out getting him a running game.

Ive been saying to draft an OG high since 2016. Until we go with a spread offense I'm going to believe that. If we can't run we're screwed because Mariota isn't putting up points all 4 quarters week in and week out. 

I'm not saying we don't need a WR, but unless it's a game changer I don't think it's the priority others do.

Edited by TitanSS

38 minutes ago, renndawg37 said:

We have scored 7 offensive touchdowns in 7 games this season. It's pathetic. Mularkey and Robiskie's offense was better ffs...

Hard to say, mularkey offense had a healthy walker & a quality #2 WR in Matthews. We have 1 solid pass catcher & our OL {interior} struggles I. The run game cause they don’t get to the 2nd level.. 

16 hours ago, VY-FTW said:

Listen the hate on Jon is crazy. We werent one injury away from having lack of depth. WE LOST WALKER! He was the best "Always open" guy. Marcus mariotas GUY! WEEK 1

But we still had Matthews and Davis. Matthews quit the team AND thats where it fell a part. Having depth is great but damn any team that loses two of three top pass catchers is in trouble. And yeah we should have made a trade. We tried with a WEAK 6th for DT. I really wanted Djax but you know we do have a TOP 5 PICK WR in Corey Davis. He has to step up. 

And lets hope Fowler helps the running game cause the weather is getting cold soon and Henry was beast mode late last year. idk. 

It is what it is. Side note. I dont want him... BUT DEZ IS STILL SITTING RIGHT THERE LOL. Or maybe we know without Walker or a TE we arent making a run and we are saving picks and about to tank. Who knows. 

I still have faith in this season. I think his hand being healed after the bye will help his confidence.  The defense is going to have to do more. Evans needs to grow up faster and we need Kenny back. And H3 needs to start racking up some sacks and we can win the south.

No Jon Robinson is definitely to blame. They propped Taywan Taylor up to a starting spot with 0 competition. I had issue with that. especially considering that Rishard was out the ENTIRE offseason with an injury. He knew that out of his top 4 WRs, 3 of them only had 1 full year of experience. But J Rob didn't add anything else of significance when he has a chance, and the coaching staff set them up for big roles. Now look at them. That was a gamble, it hasn't paid off. At the very least he should have brought in a better veteran than Nick Williams as insurance. Ideally he should have signed someone capable of pushing Taylor. Sure alot of this is hindsight but how awesome would Smokey Brown have been in Nashville? He's performing alot of the things we hoped Taylor would do and he's doing it on a cheap 1 yr deal for the Ravens. 

IMO trusting both Davis AND Taylor to take on major roles in the offense in year 2 was a big gamble. Turns out neither was completely ready and now that Delanie is hurt and Rishard is a Jet we NEED them, and they're still not ready.

Not making a move in the offseason because you think your young guys are ready and then the young guys aren't ready when its crunch time... that falls directly on the GM. 

Edited by Chocolateman78

3 hours ago, Chocolateman78 said:

No Jon Robinson is definitely to blame. They propped Taywan Taylor up to a starting spot with 0 competition. I had issue with that. especially considering that Rishard was out the ENTIRE offseason with an injury. He knew that out of his top 4 WRs, 3 of them only had 1 full year of experience. But J Rob didn't add anything else of significance when he has a chance, and the coaching staff set them up for big roles. Now look at them. That was a gamble, it hasn't paid off. At the very least he should have brought in a better veteran than Nick Williams as insurance. Ideally he should have signed someone capable of pushing Taylor. Sure alot of this is hindsight but how awesome would Smokey Brown have been in Nashville? He's performing alot of the things we hoped Taylor would do and he's doing it on a cheap 1 yr deal for the Ravens. 

IMO trusting both Davis AND Taylor to take on major roles in the offense in year 2 was a big gamble. Turns out neither was completely ready and now that Delanie is hurt and Rishard is a Jet we NEED them, and they're still not ready.

Not making a move in the offseason because you think your young guys are ready and then the young guys aren't ready when its crunch time... that falls directly on the GM. 

And if the gamble had worked we would be praising him. Idk

But all we got left our FAs if we want a WR so we got

Dez, Kenny Britt, Josh huff (Played with marcus before),Wright??

Like thats what we are working with. Not great. So lets hope our defense starts playing like its 08 and our run game picks up lololol

Edit and to think about even more. Dez is better than Sharpe and Taylor and hell he might be better then Thomas who we just offered up a 6th for.

Dez is a headcase. Hes been talked about and talked about. And if we were going to do it we would've probably already done it. But I think Dez would be good for us right now. AND AND sign him now and I bet he would be in good enough shape to play DALLAS ON MNF lololol. That would be amazing.  

Kenny wouldn't be the worst signing rn. Hes a goof ball but hes still a vet. Thats what that room is missing man. A VET. idk seems like we are running with what we got but you never know... 

Random note. I think we beat Dallas on MNF and put everyone on notice! Our defense is legit. Marcus looks 100% and I dont think Dalla is a good team and I think will take us lightly. And NO ONE IS GOING TO PICK US which is right what I like. And we get up for big games like this. And I think we are humbled now. I think we see the read option a bit more and maybe even Marcus splitting out wide like he did vs the Jets LOL

Edited by VY-FTW
  • Like 1

Okay I thought people knew this by now but maybe not...

Dez Bryant is out of the league because he can't run anymore... period. 

Its not about him being a headcase... there are plenty of those in the league. Rishard Mathews quit on a team and still found another one within weeks. Hell Nick Williams found another team. 

He is not athletic enough to play WR anymore. That, IMO, is the real reason why he is not in the league. And why nobody so much as gives him a tryout.

George Kittle has been great this year. He's an outstanding blocker just as he was in college.

I really wanted him in the 3rd round and he ended up lasting to the 5th because he just didn't have receiving production despite his athleticism. We ended up drafting Jonnu Smith instead.

As I type this he catches a TD pass and our biggest issue on offense is TE. /cry