Around the NFL

KingTitan

It has been magnified. Also people don't watch a lot of other teams. They don't realize that other teams have crucial drops too. Or they do but they don't want to recognize it when defending Mariota. You don't see a drop on 3rd and 4 on Sportscenter. You see the one handed grab that happens probably a couple times a season for each team.

It's definitely not solely on him. But too many people are using the WRs as a scapegoat. Every team has drops you just don't see them. That's why I'm saying he has to play better and simply adding another WR doesn't fix it. Someone has to get the ball to them. 

25 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

It has been magnified. Also people don't watch a lot of other teams. They don't realize that other teams have crucial drops too. Or they do but they don't want to recognize it when defending Mariota. You don't see a drop on 3rd and 4 on Sportscenter. You see the one handed grab that happens probably a couple times a season for each team.

It's definitely not solely on him. But too many people are using the WRs as a scapegoat. Every team has drops you just don't see them. That's why I'm saying he has to play better and simply adding another WR doesn't fix it. Someone has to get the ball to them. 

Well, considering it's easier to replace a WR than replace an #2 overall pick QB, that is why the WR is the popular choice of a "fix." 

But we've gone round and round. Saying the same things in different order and ways..lol

To me sounds like some want to just cut him and draft another QB.
or
To me it sounds like people hate him and want to blame him for all that is wrong with the offense. 

I just don't see the first one happening, given the state of the team and roster and I just don't see it with the second one, watching the games. Not blindly defending him, just going against the idea that he is the problem. 

2 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Also it's not about the amount of drops it's when the drops come. Endzone. Crucial 3rd down. So it's magnified. 

I second this and have been saying this myself for awhile now. Just looking at the drop percentage and saying it’s not far off from what other QB’s are dealing with is a blanket statement and doesn’t take context in to account. It’s about when they come. 

13 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

He's certainly not the only problem, but I think he has been a big part of it. Really everything on offense has looked bad outside of Dion Lewis.

I'll be interested to see how he plays Monday. I know it's small, but I'm interested to see him without the glove. 
I think Baltimore was the game where it could be put a lot on him. 
Outside of that game, I don't agree with him being a big part of the problem:
Missed most of Miami
Missed Texans
Off the Bench with Jags.
Looked great with Philly.
Lewis, Taylor Fumble with the Williams drop and questionable route that lead to an INT.
Baltimore (Can put on him).
Chargers--Can't really put that on him either. But if someone is against him as a QB, there is evidence to support that as well as evidence to say he played well. 

He has been a part of the struggle and has had his turn in making it be an offensive train wreck so far, but I don't agree with him being a big part of the problem.
I'd list it..... 
1. No Run Game.
2. Giving up big play defensively
3. Interior blocking.
4. WR Drops
5. Edge blocking.
6.. Run Defense
7. QB play
8. Defensive Pressure on QB

If I was HC, that would be the order of me trying to address the team's issue. And what's been keeping us from winning this last 3 games.

I would easily put QB play higher than anything on defense, especially big plays because we're one of the best teams in the NFL at limiting them. Every team gives them up occasionally, just as every team has drops. Part of the problem is that when he plays well, he does so for a half. We'll have 3 points at halftime and then he finally plays well after that.

8 hours ago, KingTitan said:

I'll be interested to see how he plays Monday. I know it's small, but I'm interested to see him without the glove. 
I think Baltimore was the game where it could be put a lot on him. 
Outside of that game, I don't agree with him being a big part of the problem:
Missed most of Miami
Missed Texans
Off the Bench with Jags.
Looked great with Philly.
Lewis, Taylor Fumble with the Williams drop and questionable route that lead to an INT.
Baltimore (Can put on him).
Chargers--Can't really put that on him either. But if someone is against him as a QB, there is evidence to support that as well as evidence to say he played well. 

He has been a part of the struggle and has had his turn in making it be an offensive train wreck so far, but I don't agree with him being a big part of the problem.
I'd list it..... 
1. No Run Game.
2. Giving up big play defensively
3. Interior blocking.
4. WR Drops
5. Edge blocking.
6.. Run Defense
7. QB play
8. Defensive Pressure on QB

If I was HC, that would be the order of me trying to address the team's issue. And what's been keeping us from winning this last 3 games.

Oh, I like the idea of this list. Your's is a good one, here's what I think my top 10 would look like:

1.  Defense giving up big plays (secondary being trash defending over the top)
  2.  No run game
  3.  Interior blocking
  4.  WR drops
  5.  Red zone offense
  6.  Defensive pressure on QB (especially off the edge)
  7.  TE's barely even exist
  8.  Run defense
  9.  QB play
  10.  Edge blocking

Making this just gave me so much anxiety, especially the top 5 there. All are such major issues, it's hard to put them in order, and it's super disappointing. Not surprising that 4 of them are on offense, but interesting that maybe the absolute most killer is on defense.

8 hours ago, TitanSS said:

I would easily put QB play higher than anything on defense, especially big plays because we're one of the best teams in the NFL at limiting them. Every team gives them up occasionally, just as every team has drops. Part of the problem is that when he plays well, he does so for a half. We'll have 3 points at halftime and then he finally plays well after that.

Well it's just go to where you personally want to place the blame and we disagree fundamentally about that. 

So everything is going to go back Marcus for you while I see it differently. 

While you speak truth, I just don't think it tells the whole story. 

4 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I put that entirely on Vance Joseph. 30+ seconds and a time-out left and you run the ball to settle for a 51 yard field goal? Pure garbage.

Yep. No fortutide below. 

Sometimes you just have to play the teams at the right time to be lucky and win. 

We always seem to get the clear eyed coaching days and no mistake teams.

Texans got two wins simply by coaching mistakes. 

5 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I put that entirely on Vance Joseph. 30+ seconds and a time-out left and you run the ball to settle for a 51 yard field goal? Pure garbage.

Totally. He’s one of the worst coaches in the league 

in other news...if we drafted Michael Thomas...what are the odds he’d even have four TDs at this point in his career?

3 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

in other news...if we drafted Michael Thomas...what are the odds he’d even have four TDs at this point in his career?

Thomas is a good wr. Wouldn't have the same numbers but could have had Matthews numbers or slightly better. 

Saints throw more than we ever could dream too. 

Also

Was just thinking how different things would be if Saints accepted our trade and Suh picked us to sign with. 

58 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

Consider Walker led the NFL or was like top 2 in every statistical category for TEs over the past few years, I'd say someone who is actually talented can produce just fine here.

Archived