A Very Early Look at the 2019 Offseason

Nick

2 minutes ago, NickChowaniec said:

You also have Kwon Alexander expected to resign a large extension soon. It's not impossible that you let one of Marpet or Donovan Smith go. Players are overpaid on the open free agent market, agents and the player know this, which is a factor in their decision. 

I forgot about Kwon who is going to be a Free Agent this year. Definitely see a large chunk being taken out for him as well. He will be getting paid top 5 MLB money which is about 8-12 mil per year

5 hours ago, indifference said:

0% chance Bills sign Donovan Smith or Ali Marpet next off season. 

Never say never. I thought there was 0% chance of Andy levitre leaving the Bills a few years back.  But chance to get big bucks on the open market comes into play for guys coming off their rookie deals

1 minute ago, marshawn lynch said:

Never say never. I thought there was 0% chance of Andy levitre leaving the Bills a few years back.  But chance to get big bucks on the open market comes into play for guys coming off their rookie deals

This was the exact Bills reference that I couldn't think of earlier.  

Just wanted to point this out from the TCMD thread...3 OL + 2 CB's + 1 LB...

Not going to lie, not a Lamar Jackson fan and I really love that we got Edmunds in real life, but we knew where the trouble was going to be! Our FO needed to address that OL. It wasn't rocket science. Sure, they are all depth guys on their respective teams, but they would have provided us with legit competition and possibly started now or in the future. We found one starting CB, which we still need and all picks made their respective teams.

On 3/11/2018 at 7:26 PM, NickChowaniec said:

DRAFT CLASS

1.18 (via SEA) - Lamar Jackson, QB – Louisville...(Ravens backup QB)
1.21 - Josh Jackson, CB – Iowa...(Packers 3rd string LCB)

2.53 - Malik Jefferson, LB – Texas...(Bengals backup WLB)
2.56 (via STL) - Tyrell Crosby, RT – Oregon...(Lions backup RT)

3.82 (via SEA) - Donte Jackson, CB – LSU...(Panthers starting RCB)
3.96 (via PHI) - Wyatt Teller, OG – Virginia Tech...(Bills backup LG)

4.123 - DaeSean Hamilton, WR – Penn State...(Broncos backup LWR)

5.154 (via ARI) - Scott Quessenberry, C – UCLA...(Chargers 3rd string C)
5.160 - ???
5.168 (via JAC) - ???

4 hours ago, Yibbyl said:

Not going to lie, not a Lamar Jackson fan and I really love that we got Edmunds in real life, but we knew where the trouble was going to be! Our FO needed to address that OL. It wasn't rocket science. Sure, they are all depth guys on their respective teams, but they would have provided us with legit competition and possibly started now or in the future. We found one starting CB, which we still need and all picks made their respective teams.

DRAFT CLASS

5.160 - ???
5.168 (via JAC) - ???

Yea we may have gotten some of the wrong names, but we all knew OL was going to be a serious concern. I believe this was also before Incognito and Wood left!

And it also looks like we all knew CB opposite of Tre White was going to be one as well.

8 hours ago, Yibbyl said:

DRAFT CLASS

5.160 - ???
5.168 (via JAC) - ???

Unfortunately the bills couldnt get everything in the draft especially when you have to move up to get 2 guys you truly believe can make a long term impact. The good thing about the draft that not many people give beane credit for is the fact he was able to get Allen who he truly believes is their franchise qb of the future and a stud MLB the bills desperately needed without giving up future picks. Yes it sucks now that they do not have an oline but they have 10 picks in 2019 draft. Obviously this doesnt help out now but he was smart about that aspect. Whaley was throwing out future picks to teams like oprah did with cars on her tv show and that hurt the progress they were trying to make. Bills made the playoffs but in actuality they had a bad team with a ridiculous amount of holes and minimal cap space. One massive blow was the Eric Wood retirement not only did they lose a top center in the league but the extension they gave him before the start of 2017 crippled their cap space this year. Even going in and taking Star and Trent Murphy which are still being questioned on whether or not they are the answer they still have a ton of cap space at the beginning of next year and the draft picks to land guys they can add to the young foundation they currently have. I see spotrac having 65 mil plus rollover but BR media people continue to say they will be around the 91 mil cap space either way the bills are in a prime position to fill that LG, C, and RG on oline, upgrade RT if need be in Mills. Then focus on the other needs that may come such as WRs, LB to fill in for Alexander once his contract is up, CB2 and pass rusher. As i mentioned my top 5 players in earlier post that can solve half the holes and still have cap space left over and the draft to answer the rest of the team. 

It is confirmed the bills will have 91 mil in cap space going in to 2019 season and over 130 mil in 2020. 

35 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

Unfortunately the bills couldnt get everything in the draft especially when you have to move up to get 2 guys you truly believe can make a long term impact. The good thing about the draft that not many people give beane credit for is the fact he was able to get Allen who he truly believes is their franchise qb of the future and a stud MLB the bills desperately needed without giving up future picks. Yes it sucks now that they do not have an oline but they have 10 picks in 2019 draft. Obviously this doesnt help out now but he was smart about that aspect. Whaley was throwing out future picks to teams like oprah did with cars on her tv show and that hurt the progress they were trying to make. Bills made the playoffs but in actuality they had a bad team with a ridiculous amount of holes and minimal cap space. One massive blow was the Eric Wood retirement not only did they lose a top center in the league but the extension they gave him before the start of 2017 crippled their cap space this year. Even going in and taking Star and Trent Murphy which are still being questioned on whether or not they are the answer they still have a ton of cap space at the beginning of next year and the draft picks to land guys they can add to the young foundation they currently have. I see spotrac having 65 mil plus rollover but BR media people continue to say they will be around the 91 mil cap space either way the bills are in a prime position to fill that LG, C, and RG on oline, upgrade RT if need be in Mills. Then focus on the other needs that may come such as WRs, LB to fill in for Alexander once his contract is up, CB2 and pass rusher. As i mentioned my top 5 players in earlier post that can solve half the holes and still have cap space left over and the draft to answer the rest of the team. 

Yeah I think getting the QB you want is the most important thing even if it is not the ideal situation for the team. There were only so many resources available and we spent them. Maybe we should have spent the Star and Trent Murphy money offensive line but those were needs as well. 

Wasting cap room on McCarron only to jettison him is also not ideal.

14 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

It is confirmed the bills will have 91 mil in cap space going in to 2019 season and over 130 mil in 2020. 

Totally understand the need for the QB selection and I was in favor of trading up for one. Didn't get my choice, but they have access to info I don't and I totally hope they got it right. The way I see it Edmunds was worth Allen's pick and Allen was worth Edmunds. It's a wash to me and, like I said, I love having Edmunds on the team. If we hadn't gotten Edmunds, I would have been saying we took Allen too early. Again, I hope they got it right. Anyway, I still would have looked at O-Linemen after that. I knew we needed to plan for Incognito's eventual retirement, but truly expected it after this season. The right side stunk last year and so there was need there, which is why we targeted OL in that mock. Tre was fine last year, but again, another body was obviously needed. Frankly, I believe that we should be drafting one OL, DL, and CB every single year. Keep the depth and allow them to develop so we never really fear losing one.

As it sits now, I'm thinking we will have to target the OL in FA. There just isn't enough quality bodies identified at this point to meet the demand all the teams will have. We have the money, so we must act as soon as the season is over. This draft is loaded with D-Lineman and I think we need some outside help. They still won't likely be 10+ sack guys though due to the scheme. We are going to have to accept that. Good thing there is 10 picks, because we also need OLB and CB help as well. Not sure how the CB group is, but I suspect the OLB group of rookies is fairly strong. Add to this a need to target a young RB too. We can't keep handing Shady the ball and expecting him to play like he knows where the fountain of youth is.

8 hours ago, Yibbyl said:

Totally understand the need for the QB selection and I was in favor of trading up for one. Didn't get my choice, but they have access to info I don't and I totally hope they got it right. The way I see it Edmunds was worth Allen's pick and Allen was worth Edmunds. It's a wash to me and, like I said, I love having Edmunds on the team. If we hadn't gotten Edmunds, I would have been saying we took Allen too early. Again, I hope they got it right. Anyway, I still would have looked at O-Linemen after that. I knew we needed to plan for Incognito's eventual retirement, but truly expected it after this season. The right side stunk last year and so there was need there, which is why we targeted OL in that mock. Tre was fine last year, but again, another body was obviously needed. Frankly, I believe that we should be drafting one OL, DL, and CB every single year. Keep the depth and allow them to develop so we never really fear losing one.

As it sits now, I'm thinking we will have to target the OL in FA. There just isn't enough quality bodies identified at this point to meet the demand all the teams will have. We have the money, so we must act as soon as the season is over. This draft is loaded with D-Lineman and I think we need some outside help. They still won't likely be 10+ sack guys though due to the scheme. We are going to have to accept that. Good thing there is 10 picks, because we also need OLB and CB help as well. Not sure how the CB group is, but I suspect the OLB group of rookies is fairly strong. Add to this a need to target a young RB too. We can't keep handing Shady the ball and expecting him to play like he knows where the fountain of youth is.

The problem with your bolded comment is the bills have been in this nonstop cycle, that as fans it sucks big time cause I have been saying this for the last 15 years "continuation" is what leads to a successful organization. Whether we are fans of Beane/McDermott or not this is a duo that can change that. Bills always had some form of bumping with coaching staff and head coach so they were never on the same page. Continuation in coaching staff and GM/Scouting department have to be around in order to be successful. Having them rotate out every 2-3 years involves them redoing the roster over and over again based on the guys they want or like. We are seeing it now. Outside of John Miller and Shaq Lawson the bills draft picks from older regimes are gone with the exception of Kyle Williams who has surpassed more coaches then any player in one organization. My point is we should be drafting those guys but with the roster constantly over turning they are focused on bringing in their play makers on both sides of the ball and missing out in the trenches which is the foundation the bills oh so need. As I said I hope this duo sticks around for better or worse because they are in a position to build something and they have up to 5 years to do it together. Year 1 was to evaluate what they have and dump what they can. Year 2 was to go get their QB and continue to purge the roster of guys they do not like. Hopefully year 3 with the said 91 mil in cap space and over 130 in 2020 the bills spend the money and they do so in the trenches preferably on the side protecting your rookie Qb.

• 2 weeks later...

After this week, despite all the positives in the game, it's pretty painfully obvious that Kelvin Benjamin needs to go.

WR should be a priority in the offseason. He is not even close to a WR1.

Maybe we get someone close to home in Anthony Johnson if he makes it to the second round? :) 

1 hour ago, NickChowaniec said:

After this week, despite all the positives in the game, it's pretty painfully obvious that Kelvin Benjamin needs to go.

Maybe we get someone close to home in Anthony Johnson if he makes it to the second round? :) 

I agree he just doesnt seem to have it in him. I am not sure what he is trying to do either he is scared to get injured or he just doesnt care to be there. you would think he would be putting 120% on the field giving that hes in a contract year and wants to get paid but clearly that isnt the case for him. Wr is definitely going to be a need but oline is still the biggest issue. If it wasnt for the leading with helmet hit on 3rd down in the 1st series the bills would have punted. Ducasse just got smoked and couldnt block. LG to me is a top priority then Center and RG, WR would be 4th on my list. What good is it to have an elite or top WR if your Qb is getting crushed everytime?

I see the Bills going in the same direction the Bear did. Spend money on proven offensive players and build the defense up through the draft. I don't think we'll completely ignore the O in the early rounds, but I could easily see us going DE or CB in round 1, OL or WR in round 2 and then back to D in round 3.

On 9/24/2018 at 9:11 AM, NickChowaniec said:

If he is cheap enough I'd keep him as a #2 receiver. But we definitely need someone who can stretch the field and catch ball more consistently as our #1.

So after watching another horrible display of offense. I have come to the conclusion even though Allen tends to hold on to the ball longer then he should at times, but mostly he has no time to throw cause of the oline. It is time they fire Juan Castillo at the end of the year. Bring in a new oline coach and upgrade that part in Free agency. Another question I have is if Leslie Frazier should stay or go?

I was watching the Jets game yesterday as well and I really like what i see in Quincy Enunwa, I think if the jets dont pay him the bills should take a long look at him as his yac has been solid and thats what the bills need.

Archived