A Very Early Look at the 2019 Offseason

Nick

Didn't know where to put this but went back for a good laugh.

Clicking the link takes you to the moment when we traded up to take Josh Allen.

I have a great video of my draft party losing their minds when we drafted Josh ....... Allen. Haha. Will make a good memory, especially if he becomes great.

27 minutes ago, NickChowaniec said:

Didn't know where to put this but went back for a good laugh.

Clicking the link takes you to the moment when we traded up to take Josh Allen.

I have a great video of my draft party losing their minds when we drafted Josh ....... Allen. Haha. Will make a good memory, especially if he becomes great.

That was fun lol.

And holy crap I forgot how annoying that eagles poster is. 

25 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

Bills just signed Spencer Long G/C from Jets for a 3 year deal. hopefully this is to fill in RG and cut Ducasse. They also tendered Lafayette Pitts to a 1 year deal.

Head scratcher for me. He's average at best, Jets fans are saying he was horrendous as a center. Reminds me of the Bodine signing all over again.

12 minutes ago, NickChowaniec said:

Head scratcher for me. He's average at best, Jets fans are saying he was horrendous as a center. Reminds me of the Bodine signing all over again.

I think this is more of a proactive move to start the offseason and  hopefully beane continue to pursue the top guys and have him as a depth rotational guy like they did with groy as C/G then its not a bad move. If he plans on him being the starting center then we are in trouble for 2019 and beyond. Going to have to wait and see what happens as these type of moves can be only made now until real FA starts.

Keep in mind bodine was a last minute type signing and was coming in to show his experience where picking up long is more of a luxury at the moment as they have the money and capability to sign him before FA hit happens so they can now put this on as a new piece and hopefully let an old piece go whether it is bodine or duccase which i can see both getting cut.

10 minutes ago, NickChowaniec said:

At the end of the day, I think he'll be a depth signing, which I'm ok with.

Here's the money breakdown:

Hopefully we spend big on Paradis, Morse and/or Daryl Williams as starters like we're all hoping.

you replace him with either bodine or ducasse if not both by signing Long. So 4-5 mil a year is essentially what they can clear by cutting both of those guys this year. He played fairly well in Washington or he wouldnt have been paid 4 years 28 mil with the Jets last offseason.

On 2/12/2019 at 5:40 PM, Thelonebillsfan said:

Go get AB plz.

Im torn on this, yes the guy has talent and is a top tier wr that Allen can definitely use but his ego and off field issues cause a lot of issues that the bills do not need. That is one thing the bills have been good at keeping the locker room gel'd together. I think he would stir the pot as soon as he doesn't get the ball or they are losing. Is it really the risk the bills can afford to make with a young qb and building this said "process" which values high character guys? I also do not like the fact that he said hes willing to go to the team who is going to offer the most guaranteed, which to me means a new deal he is seeking. Everyone is digging deep in to this, "why is he acting out" type move and it is simple. he is 31 years old, his contract expires at 34 years old and he cant cash in where he is now. So the only way to get out, is to talk smack about everyone on his team to force their hand on moving on from him. Once they trade him he will then demand a new contract or sit out, that team will likely cave as they just gave up draft picks and/or players to get him. 

What should the bills do at pass rusher? With Jerry Hughes turning 31 years old and going on his last year of his contract the bills have Shaq Lawson who is on his last year of his contract, do they offer his 5th year? I do not think it is worth it as he has yet to truly prove he is worth the money. Murphy is in his 2nd year of a 3 year deal but he hasnt really lived up to his contract either and the bills can save $5 million by cutting him. 

Could the bills extend Hughes and reduce his cap hit leaving him in Buffalo until he retires? Could they look at the top FA and make a splash by going after guys like Clowney, Lawrence, flowers, or take a risk on a guy like fowler? Signing a free agent like one of these not only help the dline out but it will also put pressure on hughes to take an extension at a reasonable price or have him walk next offseason. The bills wouldnt look so desperate and hughes will no longer have the upper hand if they do this as he knows he is the only real pass rusher on the team.

With so many holes to fill and around 80 mil still left in cap is this one of the top priorities the bills should focus on?

16 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

What should the bills do at pass rusher? With Jerry Hughes turning 31 years old and going on his last year of his contract the bills have Shaq Lawson who is on his last year of his contract, do they offer his 5th year? I do not think it is worth it as he has yet to truly prove he is worth the money. Murphy is in his 2nd year of a 3 year deal but he hasnt really lived up to his contract either and the bills can save $5 million by cutting him. 

Could the bills extend Hughes and reduce his cap hit leaving him in Buffalo until he retires? Could they look at the top FA and make a splash by going after guys like Clowney, Lawrence, flowers, or take a risk on a guy like fowler? Signing a free agent like one of these not only help the dline out but it will also put pressure on hughes to take an extension at a reasonable price or have him walk next offseason. The bills wouldnt look so desperate and hughes will no longer have the upper hand if they do this as he knows he is the only real pass rusher on the team.

With so many holes to fill and around 80 mil still left in cap is this one of the top priorities the bills should focus on?

I think we're set at DE heading into this season and considering Hughes is 31. I think that will bode well for Shaq Lawson getting his 5th year. Barring a massive step back in production or injuries from Lawson, we won't open up 2 holes at DE and will likely prioritize Pass rush this time next year.

In the same breathe I'm alll good with DeMarcus Lawrence lol

1 hour ago, BillsGuy82 said:

I think we're set at DE heading into this season and considering Hughes is 31. I think that will bode well for Shaq Lawson getting his 5th year. Barring a massive step back in production or injuries from Lawson, we won't open up 2 holes at DE and will likely prioritize Pass rush this time next year.

In the same breathe I'm alll good with DeMarcus Lawrence lol

You think Shaq Lawson has shown enough promise to be a future pass rusher for the bills? He has been decent in the run but his pass rushing abilities have lacked greatly for a guy who would get paid $10 mil in 2020.

Archived