General News Thread

.Buzz

1 minute ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Ronnie is going to be a good one.

Until he proves otherwise, I fully expect him to regress into a disaster just as nearly every other “he has promise” DB we’ve had over the last decade. Gonna be Cyprien or Eraser all over again because that’s what we do.

3 minutes ago, pwny said:

Until he proves otherwise, I fully expect him to regress into a disaster just as nearly every other “he has promise” DB we’ve had over the last decade. Gonna be Cyprien or Eraser all over again because that’s what we do.

Very well could happen. With the defense, if we release guys to save money, it won’t be a full rebuild on that side of the ball. 

We have some nice young building blocks on D. Taven needs to be at 3T. 

The offense is just absolute crap. They have to focus heavily on QB/playmakers via the FA/Draft.

The offense is just absolute crap. They have to focus heavily on QB/playmakers via the FA/Draft.

Yup. Need a QB, WR1, either a WR2 or 3, RT, RG. And then we need depth - 3rd down back, swing tackle, replacement for Shatley’s depth role, at least another depth OL, and probably something else I’m not thinking of.

We also need depth everywhere on defense. We’re not going to continue to have this much luck with the health of guys on that side of the ball, and I don’t see anyone who is good enough to step up into a larger role if needed.

For the record, I do like Ronnie. It’s just I don’t trust anything to go the way we want with this team.

9 minutes ago, pwny said:

Yup. Need a QB, WR1, either a WR2 or 3, RT, RG. And then we need depth - 3rd down back, swing tackle, replacement for Shatley’s depth role, at least another depth OL, and probably something else I’m not thinking of.

We also need depth everywhere on defense. We’re not going to continue to have this much luck with the health of guys on that side of the ball, and I don’t see anyone who is good enough to step up into a larger role if needed.

For the record, I do like Ronnie. It’s just I don’t trust anything to go the way we want with this team.

TE also. 

Hopefully we will be able to trade down out of the top 10 and accumulate more picks.

It’s just sad watching offenses like the Rams/Chiefs and then watching ours. Our style of play on offense isn’t going to win games in this league. With how games are being officiated nowadays, they are heavily favored towards the offense. If we get behind, we are toast. 

If we only kept Cam, Linder, Norwell, Chark, Dede and Fournette on offense, I wouldn’t be mad. Obviously I know that isn’t going to happen though.

Cole has been a dud. Expected big things out of him. I don’t see Moncrief being back. ASJ being back is a tossup. I wouldn’t mind keeping him and adding a guy like Fant. I am obsessed with him. We really need a #1 WR/#1 TE. I don’t see Cann and Parnell being back.

QB: ?

RB: Fournette/Hyde/3rd down back

WR: ?/Lee/Dede/Chark/ Cole or draft pick

TE: ASJ/Draft pick

LT: Cam 

LG: Norwell

C: Linder

RG: ?

RT: ?

and we need tons of depth along the O-Line. It won’t be a full rebuild like last time but this teams needs help everywhere.

Obviously finding a QB of the future should be the highest priority.

10 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

If we only kept Cam, Linder, Norwell, Chark, Dede and Fournette on offense, I wouldn’t be mad. Obviously I know that isn’t going to happen though.

Only one I’d add to this is Hyde. And only because it would mean they were so stupid that they traded for Hyde solely to “save the season” and then didn’t even play him that first game with the season basically on the line. I would get it if they let him go, avoiding the sunk cost fallacy, but I’d still rip them for the stupid decision from the beginning.

And Chark, I agree with. But only for how he’s playing on Special Teams. If he never played another offensive snap, I wouldn’t care either way. If he develops and becomes worthy of keeping around as an offensive player, great. But I wouldn’t keep a WR specific spot for him open under the assumption that he will.

If you consider 3 WRs and 1 TE as “starter” types, they need to add 6 starters and like 4-7 “depth” players on offense. It’s great to be in that big of a hole. Really is.

2 minutes ago, pwny said:

Only one I’d add to this is Hyde. And only because it would mean they were so stupid that they traded for Hyde solely to “save the season” and then didn’t even play him that first game with the season basically on the line. I would get it if they let him go, avoiding the sunk cost fallacy, but I’d still rip them for the stupid decision from the beginning.

And Chark, I agree with. But only for how he’s playing on Special Teams. If he never played another offensive snap, I wouldn’t care either way. If he develops and becomes worthy of keeping around as an offensive player, great. But I wouldn’t keep a WR specific spot for him open under the assumption that he will.

If you consider 3 WRs and 1 TE as “starter” types, they need to add 6 starters and like 4-7 “depth” players on offense. It’s great to be in that big of a hole. Really is.

Hyde has no dead cap next season, so they can release him without any penalty but I would rather just keep him for the 4.75M. Fournette can’t stay healthy, so Hyde can step in when he gets hurt. Would be dumb to give up a 5th for a guy, plays a handful of games and then get rid of him.

Chark has gotten better offensively. I was extremely critical of him early on in the season. Seems like he is taking Cole’s snaps now. I’d have to double check on that though. I wish they would get creative on offense and get the ball in his hands with the speed he has. An end around or something lol

If they trot out Blake next season and Caldwell is still the GM, I don’t think I’ll buy season tickets until they are gone. It’s sad it’s come to that but I know I’m not the only one that feels that way.

7 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Prisco has Malik, Gipson, Church and Parnell getting axed in the off-season. With Calais and Dareus restructuring.

Calais and Dareus restructuring could be a real help with our cap situation, and they're both at prime points in their respective contracts to do so.

But my goodness Prisco's plan would be bad news.  That's way too much to be cutting loose...which you'd then need to replace.  With very limited resources to do it.

1 hour ago, VLoo said:

Gip is a good player making not an egregious amount of money and we don't have a replacement for him. As pwny mentioned, our back end falling apart is not what we want, it makes everything look worse. This team needs so much help on the offensive side of the ball and a finite amount of assets to get the players they need. Are we using a 1 or a 2 on a replacement for Gip this year? Why?

Exactly.  Don't make holes that you don't need to make.  We have a finite number of picks to use on replacing these guys, and it's not like we're encumbered by an overabundance of depth everywhere in the first place.

If you really want savings, you get way more out of just firing Bortles bad contract into the sun, eating the dead money and all...compared to cutting Gipson loose.  While Gipson is actually a good safety, who was a key part of "the best secondary in football".  I've seen way too many years of abysmal safety play making the whole defense look like trash like @pwny said...to even want to risk going back to that, when it really shouldn't be necessary.

Cutting good players instead of bad ones because of dead money or whatever, is bad business imo.  Same goes for Malik, who is still a very good interior DLineman and significant contributor.

12 minutes ago, pwny said:

I'm really torn on Hyde.  The sunk cost fallacy is nipping hard at me after inexplicably giving up that pick for him.  But $5M is way too much cap hit for a backup RB.  You can find these guys on ultra-cheap rookie deals, or even cheap veteran deals who...behind a good OLine, are more than capable.  I don't think there's anything special about Hyde...though he does fit nicely as insurance for that power back role for when Fournette inevitably misses time.

I think it'd probably be best to just swallow that sunk cost and look to build a cheaper backfield...but it just stings that they gave up the very pick they probably could've grabbed a serviceable depth RB with, for Hyde...only to barely use him this year, and then having him sitting there with a bloated cap hit next year.

Maybe he's another restructure candidate, which would be nice in at least salvaging something out of the trade if we could whittle that cap number down a bit.

7 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I've seen way too many years of abysmal safety play making the whole defense look like trash like @pwny said...to even want to risk going back to that, when it really shouldn't be necessary.

Right after eraser got let go, up until we added Lowery and Landry was quite possibly the worst play I’ve ever seen at any position on this team. It made everything worse to the point that you had to scheme other players into getting beat. We literally lined our LBs deep and the CBs 15 yards off the ball and gave teams anything they wanted 20 yards or shorter just to prevent the Safeties from getting sodomized on the field. And then it went nearly as bad when we flipped over to Cyp and Evans. 

I want none of that ever again.

1 minute ago, pwny said:

Right after eraser got let go, up until we added Lowery and Landry was quite possibly the worst play I’ve ever seen at any position on this team. It made everything worse to the point that you had to scheme other players into getting beat just to prevent the Safeties from getting sodomized on the field. And then it went nearly as bad when we flipped over to Cyp and Evans. 

I want none of that ever again.

Courtney Greene and Don Carey lmao

Courtney Greene and Don Carey lmao

If I remember correctly, we set the record for number of 40+ yard plays allowed in 2010.  It was so bad. We would line the CBs up 15 yards off the ball just to stop the deep plays and all it did was turn the 50 yard passes into three 15 yard passes and a 30 yard pass.

Archived