General News Thread

.Buzz

14 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

I think the fact he was so infatuated with Bortles, didn’t tell any of his scouts he was going to take him, passing on a player like Khalil Mack for a guy who admitted he isn’t a natural thrower of the football, continuing to stick with him when he has been one of the worst QB’s in the last 5 years, while giving him an extension, cancels out literally anything good he has done imo. This will set our franchise back for years. 

This team had a SB window and they pushed all their chips in on Blake Bortles because Dave Caldwell is to stubborn to move on from his golden child. 

That's still not "all time" bad which is what you were saying before. That's "pretty common for a GM who gets fired" territory.

9 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Fowler throwing shots from LA.

Wash has now been questioned by Gipson/Ramsey after 2016 season ended, by just about everyone after Patriots playoff game (for playing soft zone), and now by a former player in Fowler for not being able to adjust/defend against specific route combos.

He has to be seriously evaluated in the off-season. I don't know that I want the others in the staff to get a shot at replacing him, but they need to really look at both scheme, communication (two consecutive seasons of blown coverages), and playcalling at the DC level.

1 minute ago, Speedyg said:

Wash has now been questioned by Gipson/Ramsey after 2016 season ended, by just about everyone after Patriots playoff game (for playing soft zone), and now by a former player in Fowler for not being able to adjust/defend against specific route combos.

He has to be seriously evaluated in the off-season. I don't know that I want the others in the staff to get a shot at replacing him, but they need to really look at both scheme, communication (two consecutive seasons of blown coverages), and playcalling at the DC level.

I mean, I think we all have felt like Wash has been bad considering the talent he's been given. Even last year, although stats showed a historic defense (and yes, we were obviously ridiculously good), if you watched us there was plenty of times where you wondered what the hell was he thinking. We are/were just so damn talented that it didn't really matter much. 

Based on the Coughlin interview, it sounds like some wholesale changes will likely be made. I would expect Wash and Caldwell gone, with a possibility that Marrone could be depending on how this season finishes out.

4 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I mean, I think we all have felt like Wash has been bad considering the talent he's been given. Even last year, although stats showed a historic defense (and yes, we were obviously ridiculously good), if you watched us there was plenty of times where you wondered what the hell was he thinking. We are/were just so damn talented that it didn't really matter much. 

Based on the Coughlin interview, it sounds like some wholesale changes will likely be made. I would expect Wash and Caldwell gone, with a possibility that Marrone could be depending on how this season finishes out.

Yeah for sure. I think the turnovers and the touchdowns along with a weak schedule really benefited him and that defense. 

There were enough questions even last season, but overall it's tough to fire him given how the defense performed.

I'm not fully convinced he's gone, but they need to really ask why blown coverages keep happening (with just about everyone on the defense in their 2nd year of scheme), why we can't seem to adjust and defend against mobile QBs, and quick passing offenses.

Overall, it's still nuts how highly rated this defense is in just about every relevant defensive category, including busted coverages. But as Marrone alluded to, they don't blow it often, when it happens it really blows up for huge yardage and TDs

3 hours ago, .Buzz said:

I think last year's defense with Wash was kind of a double-edged sword.

On the one hand, i think his scheme was an important part of what allowed the defense to make the sort of noise they did in general.  It let the talent really show through in a lot of the games.  But it was also clearly a liability in games against certain types of teams that just shredded the defensive scheme apart and Wash seemed to have absolutely zero answer or adjustment to offer.

Have to be careful just assuming "this defense is mega talented so they'll dominate with a different DC".  Plenty of instances where teams assume that, and end up just making things worse by bringing in the wrong person, who tries to do too much and it muddies whatever talent there is with overcomplication.  Need to find someone who can strike a nice balance between simplicity, and adaptability.

Archived