General News Thread

.Buzz

1 minute ago, Tugboat said:

I think last year's defense with Wash was kind of a double-edged sword.

On the one hand, i think his scheme was an important part of what allowed the defense to make the sort of noise they did in general.  It let the talent really show through in a lot of the games.  But it was also clearly a liability in games against certain types of teams that just shredded the defensive scheme apart and Wash seemed to have absolutely zero answer or adjustment to offer.

Have to be careful just assuming "this defense is mega talented so they'll dominate with a different DC".  Plenty of instances where teams assume that, and end up just making things worse by bringing in the wrong person, who tries to do too much and it muddies whatever talent there is with overcomplication.  Need to find someone who can strike a nice balance between simplicity, and adaptability.

Well yeah, I mean we have some serious playmakers talent littered across all three units of the defense. I'm just saying that we don't have any adaptability with Wash. The guy just keeps doing the same thing and either doesn't alter things or does it in an extremely slow/lagging manner which has cost us.

8 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

If we get a new DC... would it be crazy to try to bring Mel Tucker back? I just keep thinking back to that 2011 defense and how much it overperformed even with injuries and guys off the street having to come in and play at CB.

his stint with the bears tho

I think we'll see some interesting options start to pop up as we get later into the season and Black Monday, etc.  Every year, there seem to be a couple competent coordinators who find themselves out on the street after either getting scapegoated for lack of talent, or just swept up in a big overall housecleaning with people bringing in their own new guys.  Not sure who that's going to be this year, or if they'll even be a real scheme fit or anything...but i'd say the options certainly aren't done rolling out for a while now.

21 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I think last year's defense with Wash was kind of a double-edged sword.

On the one hand, i think his scheme was an important part of what allowed the defense to make the sort of noise they did in general.  It let the talent really show through in a lot of the games.  But it was also clearly a liability in games against certain types of teams that just shredded the defensive scheme apart and Wash seemed to have absolutely zero answer or adjustment to offer.

Have to be careful just assuming "this defense is mega talented so they'll dominate with a different DC".  Plenty of instances where teams assume that, and end up just making things worse by bringing in the wrong person, who tries to do too much and it muddies whatever talent there is with overcomplication.  Need to find someone who can strike a nice balance between simplicity, and adaptability.

I think that's the confusing part.  it seems almost every game this defense struggles,  the response from wash or Doug is "simplifying" so they can play faster. 

They talked a few weeks back of how we need to get back to basics. 

And still blown coverages are happening.

Are these guys just not communicating properly?  We already see and hear from analyst that we don't run the most complicated defense. 

Contrast that to the Patriots, which players often say you need to be really football smart (offense and defense) or else you'll struggle with the complexity of what they have you do.

Will also say Bryan would be the 2nd rookie that Wash has mishandled. They threw too much at Myles and then eventually playing him out of position.

They've done the same thing with Taven now.

And I know Fowler got hurt before he even started here,  but we never really utilized him in the way he was successful in college. 

55 minutes ago, Speedyg said:

I think that's the confusing part.  it seems almost every game this defense struggles,  the response from wash or Doug is "simplifying" so they can play faster. 

They talked a few weeks back of how we need to get back to basics. 

And still blown coverages are happening.

Are these guys just not communicating properly?  We already see and hear from analyst that we don't run the most complicated defense. 

Contrast that to the Patriots, which players often say you need to be really football smart (offense and defense) or else you'll struggle with the complexity of what they have you do.

Will also say Bryan would be the 2nd rookie that Wash has mishandled. They threw too much at Myles and then eventually playing him out of position.

They've done the same thing with Taven now.

And I know Fowler got hurt before he even started here,  but we never really utilized him in the way he was successful in college. 

The Myles Jack thing is interesting.  It was a complicated solution, but last year they seemed to find a role for him where he could thrive.

But it does lead to the question of how much Poz's absence has played a role in some of these breakdowns.  He was practically an extra on-field coach last year when he was on the field.  That's the kind of impact that is hard to attribute from the outside looking in, but i kinda wonder about some of it.  We all saw how beloved and integral to the defense leadership group Poz was when it was announced that he wouldn't be back, guys like Telvin were crying, etc.

I don't think Myles has been as good this year in general, with the extra responsibility.  Wouldn't surprise me if something like that was at least playing some partial role in the communication problems.  I think it's a bigger transition than people gave credit for, not having that safety net around with Poz anymore.

22 hours ago, Tugboat said:

The Myles Jack thing is interesting.  It was a complicated solution, but last year they seemed to find a role for him where he could thrive.

But it does lead to the question of how much Poz's absence has played a role in some of these breakdowns.  He was practically an extra on-field coach last year when he was on the field.  That's the kind of impact that is hard to attribute from the outside looking in, but i kinda wonder about some of it.  We all saw how beloved and integral to the defense leadership group Poz was when it was announced that he wouldn't be back, guys like Telvin were crying, etc.

I don't think Myles has been as good this year in general, with the extra responsibility.  Wouldn't surprise me if something like that was at least playing some partial role in the communication problems.  I think it's a bigger transition than people gave credit for, not having that safety net around with Poz anymore.

I think they said Myles had the mic last season too. And we also had the same issues last season of busted coverages, it just wasn't as magnified because it was playing at such a high level and forcing turnovers/ scoring touchdowns. 

Without those two, the big plays they give up are more visible. 

Ill agree that myles hasn't played all that great but i think you can say the same for just about every single player on this defense.  I think Abry and Dareus have played better,  but their seasons last year weren't as great as the others. 

Telvin has really taken a dip, IMO. Same with Malik and Church.

9 hours ago, Speedyg said:

I think they said Myles had the mic last season too. And we also had the same issues last season of busted coverages, it just wasn't as magnified because it was playing at such a high level and forcing turnovers/ scoring touchdowns. 

Without those two, the big plays they give up are more visible. 

Ill agree that myles hasn't played all that great but i think you can say the same for just about every single player on this defense.  I think Abry and Dareus have played better,  but their seasons last year weren't as great as the others. 

Telvin has really taken a dip, IMO. Same with Malik and Church.

Myles did apparently have the dot last year too, but it's still a bit different when you have Coach Poz out there ~50% of the snaps to help and cross-check things, etc. vs 0% of the time this year.

Not that it's all Jack's fault, or he's the reason the defense has taken a step back...but it seems like he just kinda gets a free pass a lot.  On his play individually, which hasn't been at as high a level as it can be...and in his potential impact in organization and communication within the defense as he's transitioned to full time MLB this year.

Archived