Week 2: Indianapolis Colts

Ghostnote

4 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Well jeez, Alex didn’t miss a fg, drop 3 passes - one a possible TD - and give up 3 TDs either.

No. He didnt. But even with all that..

...the question remains...

Did he put us in the game with a chance to win?

Nope. Game was over after the 3rd.

Not so with Kirk/Minny. Even with all the bad things that happened, he got them 22 points in one quarter to force overtime.

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

How bad of a GM can Bruce Allen be before he gets fired? What more needs to be seen? And this is 100% jays last year here and I wouldn’t be shocked if they draft a QB and move on from Smith somehow. 

There's a clause in Smith's contract after 2020 that we can get out relatively easily.  But that assures him around at least 2 more years.  I seriously doubt we select a first round QB, more likely it'll be the next year at the earliest.  

And I should re-iterate, my post said nothing about Smith being better than Cousins. “X person is being criticized = compare X person to Y person” has become a popular rhetorical device, especially in politics, but it’s a cop-out and an attempt to evade. 

Kirk does lots of good things. He also breaks your heart because he has more mental lapses and more panic moments than any QB with his production should ever have. He gasses you up, but he also lets you down. That’s always been who he is, that’s who he is now. That’s who he was today ?

That was the sum of my point. Whether he played better than Alex Smith today isn’t really relevant to that point. Or to the issue of whether the Redskins are fools for not making him the highest-paid player in football — the decision on Cousins was made before Smith ever became available. 

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

There's a clause in Smith's contract after 2020 that we can get out relatively easily.  But that assures him around at least 2 more years.  I seriously doubt we select a first round QB, more likely it'll be the next year at the earliest.  

This draft is going to be loaded with QBs. If this crap continues then you have to pick a QB. And I’m assuming as well it’s with a new coach and GM. 

1 minute ago, Thaiphoon said:

No. He didnt. But even with all that..

...the question remains...

Did he put us in the game with a chance to win?

Not so with Kirk/Minny. Even with all the bad things that happened, he got them 22 points in one quarter to force overtime.

I’d have to see the all-22 to know. I do know that Doctson dropped a TD Abe bigger ball though. I don’t know that tge play calling was geared towards that, Gruden said it wasn’t and also the protection broke down where he didn’t have time to get big plays in the passing game. Their DL dominated our OL, no holes for running backs, no time for Alex most of the time.

5 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

What? It was a one-score game and we had the ball in the red zone at the end of the 3rd quarter. 

For me, the game wasn’t over until Reed’s fumble. Win probability says it was basically over after the Colts scored to go up 21-9, but if we had scored a TD within a few plays of the Reed fumble (which was on their 19 yard line), we’d have had about a 25-30% chance to win.

6 minutes ago, e16bball said:

What? It was a one-score game and we had the ball in the red zone at the end of the 3rd quarter. 

For me, the game wasn’t over until Reed’s fumble. Win probability says it was basically over after the Colts scored to go up 21-9, but if we had scored a TD within a few plays of the Reed fumble (which was on their 19 yard line), we’d have had about a 25-30% chance to win.

We werent moving the ball E.

Fred Rodgers as our QB was not moving the ball. Couple that with our putrid playcalling and our abysmal OL and defense and even down one score, we werent coming back.

Had we scored some TDs and still down a score? I'd agree. But we were constantly sputtering.

8 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

We werent moving the ball E.

Fred Rodgers as our QB was not moving the ball. Couple that with our putrid playcalling and our abysmal OL and defense and even down one score, we werent coming back.

Had we scored some TDs and still down a score? I'd agree. But we were constantly sputtering.

Who's Fred Rodgers?

Archived