Who Wins?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Who ya got?

• Steelers by 8+
    • Steelers by 1-7
    • Chiefs by 1-7
    • Chiefs by 8+
    • A TIE!!! hahahahaha

How does a team down by two scores take 2:53 seconds to score a TD from the Chiefs 20?? 

47 seconds passed from when JuJu caught a pass, not thrown into the end zone, to when Ben scored on his TD. It's not like the damn offense needed to go far to line up at the line of scrimmage.

Inexcusable. Ben needs to get them lined up quickly and the coaches need to make the calls.

7 minutes ago, Livewire said:

How does a team down by two scores take 2:53 seconds to score a TD from the Chiefs 20?? 

47 seconds passed from when JuJu caught a pass, not thrown into the end zone, to when Ben scored on his TD. It's not like the damn offense needed to go far to line up at the line of scrimmage.

Inexcusable. Ben needs to get them lined up quickly and the coaches need to make the calls.

not as good as you would expect. It could be much worse, did you see how watson handled the end of the Texans game? That was really bad

6 hours ago, warfelg said:

He has failed this team so much.  Claims to not be able to be a player in FA because of a lack of cap space, uses cap space on MASSIVE contracts and 'death by a thousand papercut' contracts (AKA spending more than needed for players you can have on rookie contracts).  Lets position coaches get 'pet projects' and only 2 have worked out (Brown, Villy).  Hasn't made a good draft pick unless someone has stupidly fallen (DeCastro, Heyward, Tuitt, Bell).

Im not really defending him because I think he has been pretty meh over the last several years, but we should look at it objectively...

Bell didnt really fall.   Most considered him a reach when we took him, and at best, adequate value.    Not many liked this pick when it was made.   People  sing a different tune now, but he was never considered a great RB prospect;.

Heyward and Tuitt bascially went where projected.    Tuitt was injured or something which hurt his value before the draft....so in a way, we got lucky there.

We have had success with other players, like Bryant, Juju, Shazier, and MAYBE TJ, and some solid role players like Jesse James and Vince Williams..

I agree he hasnt been good, but I wouldnt paint QUITE such an ugly picture.  He has been sub-par, but he hasnt quite been Ryan Grigson level of bad. 

I hate when people reminisce about Cowher like he was some kind of genius.    

He wasnt.

I do think he was a better overall coach than Tomlin, but he made alot of stupid decisions over the years JUST LIKE TOMLIN that held this team back, and his ego got the better of him in many cases.    If the rumors are true, Cowher wanted to draft Shawn Andrews over Big Ben back in 2004 until the Rooney's pretty much forced him to draft Ben.     Never heard if that was completely true, but knowing Cowher, it's very believable.  

After the 1998 thru 2000 seasons, and then again after 2003 season, many fans were screaming for him to be fired.    If message boards and social media existed then, Cowher wouldve got the same hate that Tomlin gets now.   

17 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Im not really defending him because I think he has been pretty meh over the last several years, but we should look at it objectively...

Bell didnt really fall.   Most considered him a reach when we took him, and at best, adequate value.    Not many liked this pick when it was made.   People  sing a different tune now, but he was never considered a great RB prospect;.

Heyward and Tuitt bascially went where projected.    Tuitt was injured or something which hurt his value before the draft....so in a way, we got lucky there.

We have had success with other players, like Bryant, Juju, Shazier, and MAYBE TJ, and some solid role players like Jesse James and Vince Williams..

I agree he hasnt been good, but I wouldnt paint QUITE such an ugly picture.  He has been sub-par, but he hasnt quite been Ryan Grigson level of bad. 

Yep. You can put me in that crowd. I was thinking..."Why in the world would they take Bell over Lacy?. What morons!". As dumb as I look now I do take some solace in that fact that the Bungles took Gio Bernard 11 pix before Bell. 9_9

7 hours ago, Livewire said:

That’s the play that AB was wide open in the end zone and Ben looked at him and didn’t throw. There would have been 2:31 left on the clock. 

Happened again the next play, which would have left 2:04 on the clock. 

Personally I think AB was right for that moment of being pissed off. 

2 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I'll give you Bell.

Heyward and Tuitt.  Heyward fell because they didn't know if he was a 3-4 end, 4-3 end, or 4-3 DT; but I remember reading a bit that he was skill wise better than his draft slot.  Tuitt, yes he played his senior year with a groin pull, but was 1st round talent otherwise.

Bryant....yes.  But as you said, Millionaire talent, McDonalds Brains.

Juju....I'll give you that, but again I personally had a 1st round grade on him.  Shazier was drafted at about where he should go.  Maybe TJ is right.

I like what I was told once at a luncheon when I was in my masters for sports management.  The school set up something with the Philadelphia GM's (At the time I think it was Chip Kelly, Ruben Amaro, Sam Hinkie, I can't remember the Flyers GM).  But they all agreed on one thing:  A GM's money is made later in the draft.  Chip said in NFL drafting, they know before the next college season starts who the talent is from the first 2 rounds and about where they will go.  There's some wiggle room there for guys to move, but it's not that hard to say you know who is in there.  They all agreed in the NFL it's a matter of rounds 3-5 were GM's make their money.  Can you get second contracts out of these guys?  Can you get someone that cracks the starting lineup?

That's where I struggle to say Colbert is a good GM. Right now starters drafted by us in the 3rd or later are: Jesse James, Vince Williams, Ramon Foster.  They are also 3 guys that catch more heat than anyone else from most fans.

I do put it though as I don't know what part of the problem it is.  Are the scouts not getting him good reports?  Does Tomlin have too much say?  Who's using the SPARQ ratings and being so effective with it to the point it dominates the draft?  Is he allowing positional coaches to have too much input?  I personally think it's a top to bottom.  The scouts might be giving some bad info, Tomlin is getting too much input to get athletes.  They are allowing a lot of 'pet project' picks from positional coaches.  I think that the coaches input needs to be minimized.  They don't have enough time to really analyze these guys.

Yes Colbert isn't Grigson level bad, but at this point he's average at best as a GM.

2 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Yep. You can put me in that crowd. I was thinking..."Why in the world would they take Bell over Lacy?. What morons!". As dumb as I look now I do take some solace in that fact that the Bungles took Gio Bernard 11 pix before Bell. 9_9

I remember being 100% against Lacy.  The one I heard on him was there's a 40% chance he'll be good, 60% chance he eats himself out of the league.  Bama coaches had to be all over him about going to the gym, eating healthy, and taking care of himself.

I will admit in wanting Bernard though.  But Bell was my #2.

2 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I hate when people reminisce about Cowher like he was some kind of genius.    

He wasnt.

I do think he was a better overall coach than Tomlin, but he made alot of stupid decisions over the years JUST LIKE TOMLIN that held this team back, and his ego got the better of him in many cases.    If the rumors are true, Cowher wanted to draft Shawn Andrews over Big Ben back in 2004 until the Rooney's pretty much forced him to draft Ben.     Never heard if that was completely true, but knowing Cowher, it's very believable.  

After the 1998 thru 2000 seasons, and then again after 2003 season, many fans were screaming for him to be fired.    If message boards and social media existed then, Cowher wouldve got the same hate that Tomlin gets now.   

I was one of the ones not happy with cowher back then, but it turns out donahoe was a major part of the problem despite being part of the earlier success. No denying the chin being a stubborn old schooler and it's good to hear the Rooney's stepped in and made sure they got a QB. Maybe that happened this past draft, because many (me included)  couldn't understand why we drafted a QB since Ben later on claimed to want to play another 3 years or so (after he got his way and they ran Haley out of here.  Maybe there is some truth to the notion that when someone in sports mentions retirement, they already are on their way out the door.

There were message boards back then   , but with nowhere near the numbers of today. This team needs some discipline, because it is a drama act that keeps getting worse and if they allow this to continue, if and when the change occurs it will be that much of adjustment in attitude 

We can criticize colbert and he should get some blame if he is responsible for jarvis, dupree, burns and some of the missed UFA players. The problem with blaming him entirely with the roster is that he might be getting bad info (scouts) and the coaches might also be a part of that process.  We don't actually know how all this is divided, but in the end it could be another example similar to cowher/ben drafting, and we might not ever know.  The offence will has all this talent, so for me the blame is going more that way than anywhere. I don't like how the team takes a half to wake up, that is more on the coach but this offence has the talent and should win even if we put a injured defence out there.

We could say tomlin is to blame for wasting 7 years of starting OLB with jarvis and dupree but maybe the FO won't get him new players, how will we ever know?  Same with CB, that Blake ,  Cockrell and really bad CB era was somewhat fixed by bringing back a player they previously released? That repeated itself at OLB when they brought back Harrison, and then at DE with Keisel.  For all that to happen there are issues in coaching and drafting /UFA,  but they kept Ben happy during all that because the offence was about as stacked as it could be unless we trade for Gronk, thats about all that was missing. 

Archived