trade Bell says nfl.com

3rivers

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000961165/article/unpopular-opinions-packers-should-trade-for-leveon-bell

while this would only make sense, I doubt it happens. Instead Cobert and co would rather be on a power trip and in the nd get no compensation. We all know bell won't be here next year, so why not get some value now. Especially if you can get 2 RD1's or RD1 and 2 RD2's etc.  The only problem then is if Connor gets hurt  or wears down. 

Packers don't have the cap space to trade for him outright.  They only have $7.5mil.  So they need to send out at least $7mil in contracts, likely more since they need injury room.  The only guys they have that matches that are Nick Perry and Clay Matthews, and given how anemic their pass rush is they wouldn't want to do that.

These articles that ignore cap are stupid.

Here's the cold truth of what I wrote on another site in response to someone saying how hard can it be to trade him:

I think there's the catch with this.

First you got to narrow down to the teams with cap space: Browns, Colts, 9ers, Falcons, Texans, Titans, Jets, Raiders, (the Steelers are the other team with cap space)

Next lets eliminate the teams that have RB's: Colts, 9ers, Texans, Jets, Raiders

Next lets eliminate the teams that like the Steelers are unlikely to pay him past this season: Colts, 9ers, Texans, Jets

Next I think you are down to the teams that Bell likely wouldn't sign the tender for: Colts, Texans, possibly 9ers

Could teams without the cap space trade for him? Sure, but that would mean that in all those cases that there would need to be work done with getting salaries to work out.

I think obviously the Steelers would want at least a 3rd round pick. To me this is only logical because that's what we could get via the compensatory pick system, and knowing this FO (they've had these opportunities in the past), they rather have the 2020 comp pick than the 2019 4th rounder.

After looking at all of this, it makes me wonder if the Texans would be willing to give up a Conditional 3rd (4th if Bell does not resign) and Mercilus or Miller for Bell. Bell is a massive upgrade over Miller, and we could toss in someone like Dupree to replace Mercilus.

They should absolutely trade him.  Teams can usually create cap space by restructuring.  They could also back load his contract to allow for a lesser cap hit right now.  A Packer fan at work told me the other day that they "talking heads I suppose" were saying the Packers should trade for Bell.  I said give me a couple 1sts and I'm all over that.  Connor has proven to be a good back.  I'd rather have Connor, cap space, and draft picks, than Bell anyway, even if he was reporting and not being a malcontent moron.  

Even if the Packers were good, Vander Esch was around at their pick this year, as well as Gesicki & Goedert.  

Watt and Forrest Lamp would've been available at their pick in '17.  

In '16, you could've had Jaylon Smith, Hunter Henry, Myles Jack, Deion Jones.

You get the point.  Lots of players there would've helped the Steelers out immensely.  A LOT more than Bell's stupid butt is.

3 hours ago, TXsteeler said:

I doubt any team trades that much for him, and even if they were willing, they'd also have to be willing to sign bell to a deal he would accept.

That's how I see it too. It's almost that they need to communicate with bells agent about a deal to be once traded, but is that allowed? @warfelg problem#2 above shows that isn't possible so it is a high risk for a team to make a trade  . Bell could whine and not like the team and decide to sign elsewhere.

They took him off the depth chart and if they could get good picks then why not. He is only on lease until the end of this season anyways and what if he gets a bruise and quits on the team anyways? 

What would you say is possible for the picks in a trade ? 

Well there is that 2 month window between the end of the season and when he would be off the tag.  He can be traded to a team that says "If you wait til then we will reward you handsomely".  

As for possible.....that's the other problem, like I pointed out elsewhere, what makes sense for the Steelers is at least a 3rd since that's what we could get in compensatory picks.  But teams wouldn't likely give that up because they can't guarantee keeping him long term.

This is the worst Steelers defense maybe of all-time, and it's because you need a consistent pass rush instead of drafting offense with every pick. Collapsing the pocket every play and getting in the QB's face so he makes mistakes- not this we lead the league in sacks tears but still get torched and have a **** defense bc you don't get there enough. One of the teams I like for Bell is the Houston Texans. LaMar Miller is either irrelevant or your change of pace back. To me - he's irrelevant. And they can cut him after the year with solid cap savings to pay for Bell. The Texans also have an elephant brewing in that locker room with Jadeveon Clowney. I envision this marriage going to divorce. Which is why I come up with these little scenarios. 

My solution would be Bell signs his tender so we can trade him before the trade deadline. We go to Houston and say:

Bell + 2019 2nd + 2020 4th for Jadeveon Clowney

Houston comes to a gentleman agreement to make Bell the highest paid RB after the year. 

We get the pass rush required to collapse the pocket on virtually every play - like with the Cowboys doing right now - rendering Eli Manning neutered. If he wasn't already. And then you buckle down roll with who we got and get a ring. 

Clowney want to get a big payday and probably will and isn't worth it.

Trade bell to the packers for some picks. Trade some picks for  as someone else said CB#21 PP .  Trade burns and dupree if you can but good luck. 

I would sign Shane Ray in the off season(much less than clowney ) , then  Adeyini, Watt and Ray should be good there at OLB

Sign ET, that is a given.

Matt Thomas could cover these TE's, so for that alone he should get a chance. When we play other teams, then let Bostic have the start, it should be about who matches up better, not "he's the starter no matter what"

21 hours ago, warfelg said:

Problem #1 - Packers don't have enough contracts to renegotiate right now to get the space for Bell.

Problem #2 - Bell can't have a contract negotiated even if he is traded.  They would have to wait until after the season to get a new contract.

Please do not let logic get in the way of this.  NFL.com doesn't.

Archived