Beast Of The East - NFC East Discussion Thread

D82

All jokes aside, I don't think anyone was really high on Taco as a pass rusher. I wasn't as down as some people were, because he obviously had the physical tools at 6'6" 275 lbs, but lacked the juice and maybe motor, and I thought(and still think) that Rod Marinelli would be able to correct some of that.

Marinelli got career years out of, Henry Melton, Stephen Paea, Nick Hayden, Terrell McClain, George Selvie, Jeremy Mincey, Benson Mayowa, and several other outcasts, so much that we started a nickname, "Marinellis band of misfits." Now he has Lawrence going, and I just figured if anyone could get Taco to fulfill his potential it was Rod.

At the end of the day, I think(hope) Taco ends up being like one of our other first round pick DE's who was also 6'6" 270 lbs. Over sized and modestly athletic: Greg Ellis.

Greg Ellis averaged 7 sacks a year over the course of his 12 year career. He had a high of 12.5 and a low of 3, which he achieved twice. The first time was his rookie year.

Number of sacks for Taco his rookie year? 3.

Edited by DaBoys
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, DaBoys said:

Idk why everyone claims the Cowboys have been cheap. What money have we had?? We have been bottom 5-ish cap room for every offseason I can remember. We didn't sign Olivier, Alshon, Snacks, Jenkins, Leary, Suh, or pick a name, because we COULDN'T. 

I guess bums under the bridge are "frugal" because they can't buy a house?

I don't remember once going into the offseason thinking man we have so much room. Last time we did, I think we signed Brandon Carr to a $50M.

Let's see what the philosophy becomes when they actually have an option. It's easy to say you're honest when the safe is locked.

Maybe it's not a money thing, but a Dallas sucks at free agency thing. Their big signings have sucked and the vast majority of their other signings haven't exactly done much in terms of contribution.

As for the money though, we go through this every year and Dallas has always had the ability to create enough cap space to essentially sign whom ever they want. I'm fine with them passing on the tier 1 and 2 FAs. They've been snake bitten enough there. They have to do better with their gap fillers. 

22 hours ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Eih. I don't really like big-name FA's. Get me a role player who can develop.

This isn't true. You've mock Earl Thomas to Dallas for a month. Don't make me look in the archives....

29 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

This isn't true. You've mock Earl Thomas to Dallas for a month. Don't make me look in the archives....

I am not saying there are not exceptions to the rule, but as a whole, I don't. Look who else I have mocked to us. Donte freaking Moncrief. Give me an underachiever like Cooper and let see if it works for us.

Earl Thomas is a different animal - and he WANTS to be here.

28 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

I am not saying there are not exceptions to the rule, but as a whole, I don't. Look who else I have mocked to us. Donte freaking Moncrief. Give me an underachiever like Cooper and let see if it works for us.

Earl Thomas is a different animal - and he WANTS to be here.

Thomas would be a huge get for us for so many reasons. I really hope we make it happen.

On 2/9/2018 at 3:50 PM, DaBoys said:

Dallas sucks at free agency. No argument there.

I get that we haven’t been very successful but to completely cast off a very important part of building a team is dumb. We have been great at drafting talent and getting solid late round players but you need Free Agency to add talent. Burned or not that’s the life of free agency. I’m not saying sign these high tier guys but atleast get in there for solid talent. Not people who should be sitting on there couch instead come here because they don’t have offers.

3 hours ago, TheBeast23 said:

I get that we haven’t been very successful but to completely cast off a very important part of building a team is dumb. We have been great at drafting talent and getting solid late round players but you need Free Agency to add talent. Burned or not that’s the life of free agency. I’m not saying sign these high tier guys but atleast get in there for solid talent. Not people who should be sitting on there couch instead come here because they don’t have offers.

I'm saying they aren't good a sitting back as we saw this year, or being aggressive as we've seen in the past.

We suck at free agency as a whole.

15 hours ago, DaBoys said:

I'm saying they aren't good a sitting back as we saw this year, or being aggressive as we've seen in the past.

We suck at free agency as a whole.

I just wish they were a little more active because there are players every year that could be useful to us but are afraid to pull the trigger. I understand we have been burned but to be successful we need to utilize all phases to improve this team obviously and passing on some talent that could be had at a fair price I don’t understand.

I don't get how we seem to be good at projecting and evaluating prospects who have never played an NFL snap, but we can't seem to evaluate current NFL players worth a damn. Guys like Nolan Carrol are penciled in starters based off someone(s) evaluation.  Wtf

Edited by DaBoys

On 2/9/2018 at 3:44 PM, DaBoys said:

All jokes aside, I don't think anyone was really high on Taco as a pass rusher. I wasn't as down as some people were, because he obviously had the physical tools at 6'6" 275 lbs, but lacked the juice and maybe motor, and I thought(and still think) that Rod Marinelli would be able to correct some of that.

Marinelli got career years out of, Henry Melton, Stephen Paea, Nick Hayden, Terrell McClain, George Selvie, Jeremy Mincey, Benson Mayowa, and several other outcasts, so much that we started a nickname, "Marinellis band of misfits." Now he has Lawrence going, and I just figured if anyone could get Taco to fulfill his potential it was Rod.

At the end of the day, I think(hope) Taco ends up being like one of our other first round pick DE's who was also 6'6" 270 lbs. Over sized and modestly athletic: Greg Ellis.

Greg Ellis averaged 7 sacks a year over the course of his 12 year career. He had a high of 12.5 and a low of 3, which he achieved twice. The first time was his rookie year.

Number of sacks for Taco his rookie year? 3.

When I saw Taco I compared him to Carlos Dunlap. He's going to get you 8-9 sacks a year, but he's also going to be a factor in the run game, and when he's not getting home rushing the passer he can really affect passing lanes getting those long arms in the air. That's the type of player I think he can be.

• 2 years later...