Sebastian Thunderbucket (aka Tom Johnson) Rides Again!

SemperFeist

A jersey-numbering system was initially launched by the National Football League on April 5, 1973. The system assigned certain ranges of numbers to each player position from which a player could choose. Here are the original numbers from 1973. They've changed a little, but not much. 

1 - 19: Quarterbacks, punters, and kickers
20 - 49: Running backs and defensive backs 
50 - 59: Centers (or 60-79 if this range is taken) 
60 - 79: Defensive linemen and offensive linemen
80 - 89: Receivers and tight ends (or 40-49 if this range is taken)
90 - 99: Defensive linemen and linebackers

The original system stood until 2004, although not without objections from some players. Then the NFL changed it up to allow wide receivers and tight ends a bit more versatility—they, too, could claim numbers between 10 and 19 beginning in 2004.

Then, in 2010, a rule was passed to allow defensive linemen to wear numbers 50 through 59. The NFL Competition Committee made another change in 2015, allowing linebackers to use numbers 40 through 49 for the first time.

https://www.thoughtco.com/nfls-uniform-numbering-system-1333785

I think that list is slightly off, as I don't believe WRs could ever wear numbers in the 40s and TEs could never wear numbers in the 10s. I could be wrong on that, though.

23 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

i remember the QB for the Chargers, Jon Hadl, wore #21.

That was before the rule change. Looking at Pro Football Reference, he was 21 most of his career, except after a midseason trade to Green Bay in 1974 when another Packer already had 21. Finished out the year with 12, but went back to 21 the next season. Guessing he was grandfathered in.

51 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I am defintely not a fan of allowing LBs to where numbers in the 40s. It’s defintely odd.

Gotta allow some other number category for them - with offensive lineman being allowed to wear fifties as well. I know some 3-4 OLBs wear 90s, but idk if I would like that better than 40s for LBs

44 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Gotta allow some other number category for them - with offensive lineman being allowed to wear fifties as well. I know some 3-4 OLBs wear 90s, but idk if I would like that better than 40s for LBs

Are all o-linemen allowed to wear numbers in the 50s, or just centers? 

2 hours ago, Klomp said:

That was before the rule change. Looking at Pro Football Reference, he was 21 most of his career, except after a midseason trade to Green Bay in 1974 when another Packer already had 21. Finished out the year with 12, but went back to 21 the next season. Guessing he was grandfathered in.

yeah, i was just saying i remembered it.... let me have my memories!

4 minutes ago, RpMc said:

I thought centers and guards, but looking at Klomp's list above, that could be wrong.

That was just the initial rule from the 1970s. I think they've lessened that restriction to all OL can wear 50-79, but I'm not certain.

Archived