2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

How do people feel about trading back from 12 to the 16-18 range and then trading up from 30 to the 16-18 range.  Basically trading 12 and 30 for 2 picks in that 15-20 range?

The scenario I could see is double dipping on these Edge/Pass rushing DL players:

sweat, burns, Gary, Oliver, wilkins, ferrell, polite, a few others...

32 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

How do people feel about trading back from 12 to the 16-18 range and then trading up from 30 to the 16-18 range.  Basically trading 12 and 30 for 2 picks in that 15-20 range?

The scenario I could see is double dipping on these Edge/Pass rushing DL players:

Not sure two of those guys will be there in the 16-18 range. After the combine Polite might be but I don't see any of the others on the board in the 16-18 range. So the question is are we happier with the guy we get at 18 who isn't one of those you mentioned and getting a lesser talent out of the group at 16, vs. what we'd get standing pat. I'm for standing pat at this moment in this scenario. 

4 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Not sure two of those guys will be there in the 16-18 range. After the combine Polite might be but I don't see any of the others on the board in the 16-18 range. So the question is are we happier with the guy we get at 18 who isn't one of those you mentioned and getting a lesser talent out of the group at 16, vs. what we'd get standing pat. I'm for standing pat at this moment in this scenario. 

I think it all depends on how the top of the draft goes.  I can certainly see a scenario where there's 2-3 guys there at 12 and we trade down a few spots.  It depends on QBs going early (as usual) and also CB/WR going early, which I think has a real chance of happening.

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

I think it all depends on how the top of the draft goes.  I can certainly see a scenario where there's 2-3 guys there at 12 and we trade down a few spots.  It depends on QBs going early (as usual) and also CB/WR going early, which I think has a real chance of happening.

Totally agree with you at 12, that 2 or 3 will be there. That in no way means 2 will be there for us to grab at 16 AND 18. More likely, the one we want at 12 will be gone at 16 and possibly all gone by 18. 

6 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Totally agree with you at 12, that 2 or 3 will be there. That in no way means 2 will be there for us to grab at 16 AND 18. More likely, the one we want at 12 will be gone at 16 and possibly all gone by 18. 

yeah it's a 2 step process.  If you see 2 or 3 there, do you trade down more spots than there are players?  

And when you trade up, you are going after a guy, so you don't do it if they aren't there.

2 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

yeah it's a 2 step process.  If you see 2 or 3 there, do you trade down more spots than there are players?  

And when you trade up, you are going after a guy, so you don't do it if they aren't there.

Yep, I get it and think it would be great. The cost of going up 12 spots from 30 will be vastly more than going down a few. I'm OK with going down a few if we have 2-3 guys rated the same and are sure we get one. 

7 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I'm firmly on the Ferrell bandwagon, but all of this is correct.

I still feel like Ferrell's floor is better than Sweat and Burns' floor.  And Ferrell's ceiling isn't close to the ceiling for Sweat or Burns.

I'm more for Burns than Sweat right now, but dang that combine was impressive for Sweat.  I didn't see much of his speed or bend on tape, though.  With the right coaching, it is hard to pass on Sweat if he is there.  Just an ideal frame and athletic traits.

There's something alarming about going with a "high floor" pass rusher, and I'm not sure I'm real comfortable going with a "limited" pass rusher.  I don't recall the last time a limited pass rusher ended up exceeding expectations.  This forum was all about Courtney Upshaw, and his measureables shot all kinds of red flags.  At this point, he's my "worst case" scenario at 12 or quickly getting there.  I'm going to go back and look at Sweat again.  Thought he was a good athlete, didn't think he was that kind of an athlete.  Right now, my EDGE tiers goes like this.

Bosa
(Tier)
Allen
(Tier)
Burns/Ferrell/Ferrell
(Tier)
Gary/Polite

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

Who is trading up, and who are they trading up for?

26 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Remember last year when we all were glad we stayed put and were about to get Derwin James and then it didn’t happen?  It worked out well but that was a strange round.  I’d hate to pass on Burns or Oliver if they’re there at 12 but who knows.  Like you said, it’s all about his the board falls. 

28 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Remember last year when we all were glad we stayed put and were about to get Derwin James and then it didn’t happen?  It worked out well but that was a strange round.  I’d hate to pass on Burns or Oliver if they’re there at 12 but who knows.  Like you said, it’s all about his the board falls. 

When Derwin James was there and we passed on him. I threw my remote and damn near my plate of crab legs (had I not made them as well as I did they'd of probably gone too) it wasn't until I saw the compensation that I started to cool down a bit lol.

44 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

When Derwin James was there and we passed on him. I threw my remote and damn near my plate of crab legs (had I not made them as well as I did they'd of probably gone too) it wasn't until I saw the compensation that I started to cool down a bit lol.

Hell, 95% of this forum lost their mind when the Packers traded down.

At pick 12, there are guaranteed to be at least 2-3 guys that this board could generally agree is going to be worth that spot or better. Not everyone will agree on each player individually, but in general, consensus will be such that we will not "miss out" on the chance to get a top 10 player of our liking at pick 12. I don't spend one second worrying that the board will fall horribly for us. 

23 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

I wonder how high Winovich goes now? He was getting round 2-3 buzz and was really likeable. Now he had a really good workout. His frame still is less than ideal, but still not too shabby. I’d definitely take him round 2, wouldn’t be shocked if he sneaks into the back end of r1

I would actually rather have Winovich over Ferrell. I think he ends up going late in the 1st.

Archived