Official TAST - This A'int Steelers Talk Thread

43M

1 minute ago, jebrick said:

So who is left.  I rule out Houston and Indy because why?  Neither one is remotely close to even a playoff team so a QB will not make a difference plus ( with a trade up by Indy) they will get better passers in either Young or Stroud.

I wrote it in main, but I think (after a sleep) that the Ravens blew this. They set the trade price and Lamar set the contract demands. As someone looking to sign him you lost all negotiating power. 

I think the reason the non-exclusive is rarely used is because agents are able to sell teams on not using it. Lamar lacking an agent, having bad contract demands, and his lack of PR spin is playing bad for him. 

I think no one steps up to trade at the contract and 2 1sts price and Lamar ends up sitting out. 

15 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I think the window closes before the draft for non-exclusive to negotiate to avoid this loophole. 

Teams have several days before FA starts to make Lamarr and offer.  Ravens have 5 days to match.

Here is a very good breakdown on the tag and the teams that might be involved.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2023/3/7/23629549/lamar-jackson-baltimore-ravens-nonexclusive-franchise-tag-explainer

Edited by jebrick

5 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Teams have several days before FA starts to make Lamarr and offer.  Ravens have 5 days to match.

Here is a very good breakdown on the tag and the teams that might be involved.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2023/3/7/23629549/lamar-jackson-baltimore-ravens-nonexclusive-franchise-tag-explainer

That article is kinda long winded for no reason. 

Niners are a team I haven’t thought of but that offense is better run by a quick decision maker rather than running QB. 

kinda crazy that lamar might've only played 3 games against us as a Raven. I was always terrified at the idea of playing against him, but we might be a Juju non-fumble away from being 3-0 against Lamar-led raven teams. Our defense slowed him down in all 3 games too

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, warfelg said:

That article is kinda long winded for no reason. 

Niners are a team I haven’t thought of but that offense is better run by a quick decision maker rather than running QB. 

Perhaps the reason is he gets paid by the word.

I agree on the 49'ers but throw it out for the same reasons.  I had thought the Lions but that article says the GM loves Groff and would never trade him.

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

that the Ravens blew this.

IMO, they only blew it if someone actually offers a guaranteed contract and they wanted him badly. They gain 10x the leverage if no one else comes to the table or no one offers the full money. And they still have the second tag to get through, so it would be tough to sit out. 

I am going to guess the Ravens knew his trade market would never be wild. He (and his agent, the NFLPA) wants fully guarantee. That's a heavy price to pay for that + picks. Only reason Watson got it was out of desperation for being told "no".

The team I am looking at is the Lions. Young enough to absorb the heavy blow of guaranteed cap hit, 3 first round assets in the next two years to negate the loss a bit, Goff turns into an asset you can flip (Hey, Tampa!), and in a position where they could talk themselves into owning their own division right now. 

As a side note: If Lamar does get fully guaranteed money, I hope the Rooneys put up a for sale sign. They can't compete unless the escrow money rule changes. 

1 minute ago, Dcash4 said:

I am going to guess the Ravens knew his trade market would never be wild.

This is why I think they blew it. They took the slim chance of making a market and killed it by making the price 2 firsts rather than having negotiations. If Lamar were exclusive, EDC could have said bidding starts at 1st, 2nd, 3rd in the next two drafts; let offers come to him. Teams will always outbid each other. Then go to Lamar with three offers you are comfortable with, tell him here’s the teams, which one do you want to talk to. 

5 minutes ago, warfelg said:

He doesn’t have an agent FYI. 

I know, the NFLPA has been counselling him, so I was calling them his agent. 

3 minutes ago, warfelg said:

If Lamar were exclusive, EDC could have said bidding starts at 1st, 2nd, 3rd in the next two drafts; let offers come to him. Teams will always outbid each other. Then go to Lamar with three offers you are comfortable with, tell him here’s the teams, which one do you want to talk to. 

But this is exactly what I am talking about -- I don't think that bidding war market is there because Lamar wants fully guaranteed and teams know that. Look how many teams have already said "no thanks" to a lower, known trade value. Even if teams come to an agreement with the Ravens, they still need to extend Lamar -- on full guarantee. There isn't a bidding war for that across the owners in the league. You might only find one person willing to play. 

This is why I think it was smart of the Ravens, they opened market transparency for negotiations. The NFLPA and Lamar want a market that will allow him to get full money, but that market might not exist. Rather than the Ravens continually trying to beat down that negotiation door....they just opened it up and said "look.... go find it".

If he finds it, they still have the opportunity to match, but if he doesn't he is going to have to play by their rules. 

2 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I know, the NFLPA has been counselling him, so I was calling them his agent. 

But this is exactly what I am talking about -- I don't think that bidding war market is there because Lamar wants fully guaranteed and teams know that. Look how many teams have already said "no thanks" to a lower, known trade value. Even if teams come to an agreement with the Ravens, they still need to extend Lamar -- on full guarantee. There isn't a bidding war for that across the owners in the league. You might only find one person willing to play. 

This is why I think it was smart of the Ravens, they opened market transparency for negotiations. The NFLPA and Lamar want a market that will allow him to get full money, but that market might not exist. Rather than the Ravens continually trying to beat down that negotiation door....they just opened it up and said "look.... go find it".

If he finds it, they still have the opportunity to match, but if he doesn't he is going to have to play by their rules. 

Fair enough on the NFLPA thing. They’ve been pushing for full guarantees ever since Kirk Cousins and it’s really failed. The only two times it’s happened is with teams so desperate they know it was the only way to lock one in. 

As for the other part - that’s why I think the Ravens made a mistake. They set the market rather than letting the market set itself. I look at it kinda like buying a car. Don’t tell them how much you are willing to pay - and that’s what Baltimore did.

Like I said, good chance if he’s back that he barely plays. If I were advising him I’d miss camp with an injury, play a few games, then have another injury. I don’t see this playing out with him there long term without a fully guaranteed contract at this point. 

Following the Bell path, he would not sign his tag until around week 6 in the season then work himself into shape and play maybe 6 games.  He would then hope to get tagged next season and then he would sit out.

But I do think you are right.  We mill not see him much this year.