Official TAST - This A'int Steelers Talk Thread

43M

They have space because Hurst is a threat on passing and you can't stack the box.  Either the Ravesn suck at drafting/getting Wr or they have crappy route trees or Lamar can't pass well as to why they run that offense.  i think it is parts of all of the above. 

10 minutes ago, jebrick said:

They have space because Hurst is a threat on passing and you can't stack the box.  Either the Ravesn suck at drafting/getting Wr or they have crappy route trees or Lamar can't pass well as to why they run that offense.  i think it is parts of all of the above. 

It’s for sure all of the above. Their three best WRs came from other teams. 

54 minutes ago, jebrick said:

There's multiple things that go into it, but the reason they have success running isn't solely because of the pass game. That works both ways as the passing game benefits from the countless one on one opportunities that the running game leads to. They put up similar rushing numbers to last year when the core was highlighted by a rookie and Quez Watkins instead of AJ Brown. 

The Eagles spread it out -- multiple runs last night for hurts were in empty sets. The Ravens play with 2 TEs and a DT that plays FB heavily in condensed sets. 1st down personnel groupings: Eagles 72% in 11...the Ravens....7%. 

If someone figures out that you should get one of the best athletes in the sport in space, I'll be concerned. The Eagles are well thought, well coached, and can execute. I don't want that near the Ravens and Lamar. 

Anyone got a take on the Chiefs doing the rotating huddle lineup and snap fast?

Personally I think the NFL should outlaw it. They put into place all these things to allow defenses to see lineup and matchups that this is a bending of the rules. I see it like the Pats doing the OT ineligible split out with the WR/TE on the line eligible thing. 

On 2/16/2023 at 9:59 AM, warfelg said:

I wouldn’t be shocked by them Tag and Trading Lamar while chasing Carr. 

Was thinking the same thing.

Id much rather them keep Lamar.

I dont think they would drop off much with Carr, especially since they will have a top 5 run game, but then also have 3 or 4 extra 1st round picks to play with going forward.

7 hours ago, 43M said:

Was thinking the same thing.

Id much rather them keep Lamar.

I dont think they would drop off much with Carr, especially since they will have a top 5 run game, but then also have 3 or 4 extra 1st round picks to play with going forward.

Not in agreement on top-5 run game but yea, it could be a move that allows them to rebuild while staying in contention. 

For craps and giggles....I decided to run mock drafts as another team to see what it did to the Steelers haul.  I'm kinda tired of running some of these as the Steelers and not seeing some things happening early that will majorly change the draft.

So here those are:

RUNNING THE DRAFT AS THE BEARS:

Obviously they are likely to move on from the 1st pick (I'm not buying the Fields is available rumor) so I'm going to make it move. FWIW I got an A for my Bears draft where the OL got rebuilt and all 3 levels of the defense got attention.

Steelers Took: Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Luke Musgrave, Keion White Edge GT, DeWayne McBride (HB UAB), Zach Harrison, Kahlef Hailassie, Tiyon Evans (HB Louisville)

RUNNING THE DRAFT AS THE CARDS:

They need so much help that I can see them moving multiple times to get a bunch of assets for this year and the future.  Fun of fun I get another A for this draft.

Steelers took: Jordan Addison, Will McDonald IV, Keion White, DeMarvion Overshown, KJ Henry, Richard Gouraige, Carrington Valentine.  What a carp hole of a draft of 3 edge players in our first 5 picks.

RUNNING THE DRAFT AS WILD CARD 1 - SEATTLE:

I got them as a wild card because they could move up in the draft, even if they keep Geno Smith. And yet again I get an A for my draft. I can't stop laughing at this.

Steelers Took: Caljah Kancey, Anton Harrison, Garrett Williams, Cody Mauch, Cam Jones, Caleb Murphy, Ryan Greenhagen

RUNNING THE DRAFT AS WILD CARD 2 - PHILADELPHIA:

They could move up, could move down.  I think that moving down is more likely as due to the cap, free agency, and the age of players and needing depth.  I ended up with a B as the Eagles for this draft.

Steelers took: Joey Porter Jr, Luke Musgrave, Nick Herbig, Jaelyn Duncan, Tyler Steen, Nick Saldiveri, John Ojukwu.  That's 4 OT's if you are tracking at home.

RUNNING THE DRAFT AS A LIKELY TRADE DOWN PARTNER - JAGUARS:

I think they are a partner who will move up to 17  because of their need on OL and wanting to jump other teams for it.  Steelers got 24, 185, 2024 1st out of me.

Steelers take: Myles Murphy, Tyrique Stevenson, Emmanuel Forbes, Jaelyn Duncan, Kyu Blu Kelly, Thomas Incoon, Ryan Greenhagen, Tiyon Evans.  This one has 3 corners.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, warfelg said:

For craps and giggles....I decided to run mock drafts as another team to see what it did to the Steelers haul.  I'm kinda tired of running some of these as the Steelers and not seeing some things happening early that will majorly change the draft.

So here those are:

RUNNING THE DRAFT AS THE BEARS:

Obviously they are likely to move on from the 1st pick (I'm not buying the Fields is available rumor) so I'm going to make it move. FWIW I got an A for my Bears draft where the OL got rebuilt and all 3 levels of the defense got attention.

Steelers Took: Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Luke Musgrave, Keion White Edge GT, DeWayne McBride (HB UAB), Zach Harrison, Kahlef Hailassie, Tiyon Evans (HB Louisville)

RUNNING THE DRAFT AS THE CARDS:

They need so much help that I can see them moving multiple times to get a bunch of assets for this year and the future.  Fun of fun I get another A for this draft.

Steelers took: Jordan Addison, Will McDonald IV, Keion White, DeMarvion Overshown, KJ Henry, Richard Gouraige, Carrington Valentine.  What a carp hole of a draft of 3 edge players in our first 5 picks.

RUNNING THE DRAFT AS WILD CARD 1 - SEATTLE:

I got them as a wild card because they could move up in the draft, even if they keep Geno Smith. And yet again I get an A for my draft. I can't stop laughing at this.

Steelers Took: Caljah Kancey, Anton Harrison, Garrett Williams, Cody Mauch, Cam Jones, Caleb Murphy, Ryan Greenhagen

RUNNING THE DRAFT AS WILD CARD 2 - PHILADELPHIA:

They could move up, could move down.  I think that moving down is more likely as due to the cap, free agency, and the age of players and needing depth.  I ended up with a B as the Eagles for this draft.

Steelers took: Joey Porter Jr, Luke Musgrave, Nick Herbig, Jaelyn Duncan, Tyler Steen, Nick Saldiveri, John Ojukwu.  That's 4 OT's if you are tracking at home.

RUNNING THE DRAFT AS A LIKELY TRADE DOWN PARTNER - JAGUARS:

I think they are a partner who will move up to 17  because of their need on OL and wanting to jump other teams for it.  Steelers got 24, 185, 2024 1st out of me.

Steelers take: Myles Murphy, Tyrique Stevenson, Emmanuel Forbes, Jaelyn Duncan, Kyu Blu Kelly, Thomas Incoon, Ryan Greenhagen, Tiyon Evans.  This one has 3 corners.

Interesting idea, even though I don't like any of those drafts.