Official TAST - This A'int Steelers Talk Thread

43M

12 hours ago, warfelg said:

All of Pittsburgh media is going nuts over Purdue, I expected to see a blowout, not Seattle winning. 

12 hours ago, warfelg said:

All of Pittsburgh media is going nuts over Purdue, I expected to see a blowout, not Seattle winning. 

Purdy got away with a lot of throws last night. I’ve been blocked by half of Pittsburghs beat guys/radio personalities for calling them out on their knob slobbing of Purdy. Then half the bloggers DMed me props for it. 

Chargers game was god aweful. Stanley deserves to be out of the NFL a few years for that. Yet I saw calls that if he was fired we should look at him as OC. 

2 hours ago, 3rivers said:

perspective : canada effect

I’m not sure what you mean by this in response to that?

29 minutes ago, August4th said:

hmmm..maybe we would of had a shot against the Bills today

Josh Allen and Patrick Mahomes are two sides of the same coin, and are both over rated.  Mahomes just gets away with the mistakes Allen doesn’t.  Purdy is living in that Mahomes area right now, and if he hits the Allen area it’s gonna be UGLY.

9 hours ago, warfelg said:

I’m not sure what you mean by this in response to that?

Josh Allen and Patrick Mahomes are two sides of the same coin, and are both over rated.  Mahomes just gets away with the mistakes Allen doesn’t.  Purdy is living in that Mahomes area right now, and if he hits the Allen area it’s gonna be UGLY.

It is funny watch so many of Mahomes plays and seeing just how lucky he gets so often.   Obviously Im not denying the talent he has, but he does get flabbergastingly lucky.   I was watching one play where he scrambles all around and two defenders knock each other over and take their time getting up as Mahomes looks for someone open...then 3 or 4 seconds later, lobs it right past the eyes of another defender who literally just had to raise his hand to knock it down, and its a TD.

Better lucky than good sometimes.....but Mahomes is both.  

Id love to have Mahomes, but I always wondered how good he would be if he had been drafted to a team without Andy Reid or other top end OC.

There’s a lot of heavy rumors that Baltimore/Lamar Jackson are splitting and behind the scenes there’s been a structure for a sign and trade to an NFCSouth team. Lots of heavy speculation around Atlanta for at least a first and multiple seconds. Possibly Carolina. 

Am I allowed to point out that Kyle Shanahan ran the same play 3 times?  This is straight out of the Canada complaint book.  The biggest difference (and what makes Shanahan the better coach) is the use of different players in different places.  

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

The biggest difference (and what makes Shanahan the better coach) is the use of different players in different places.  

While different players in different spots is a component of it, the biggest difference is that Shannahan understands how defenses want to play and how they will react when presented certain concepts from an offense. That’s the part Canada has shown no understanding off. Kyle knows the when, where, and why of defenses and how to uses one offensive players actions to create for the next. 

Two examples of the same concept:

Canada calls Yankee 3 times against the Pats. 3 times he got different pre-snap looks, twice came with different post snap defenses. As a concept, yankee works against all defense, but you need to know early as a QB which option you need to hold off for to help get open. There’s nothing to suggest that these were the times or places to call them — we just seemed to run them because we wanted to run them. 

The second example of the same call happened all throughout the season: running Yankee with max protect against a non-blitz. Yankee takes time, but without extra receivers to the crosser side…defenders can drift to depth and take that option away (which we saw happen constantly). So either Canada gets burned thinking he will get blitz (and doesn’t) or doesn’t understand the levers his receiving options pull on defenders to create opening. 

When Kyle is on, he calls plays like he is inside the helmet of the dc. Canada is more like he stole a twister board and take a spin each turn to see what play to call. 

• Like 2

I….yes, that’s all of what I meant by different players in different places from the same play call.  It’s a subverting of the call to have it by Aiyuk twice, then Kittle on the third.  

Especially the third, pulling McCaffrey in motion after him and Kittle lined up on the same side is a next level move. It’s a pre-snap read for Purdy.  Coverage shades to either one, or the zones shift, you got your easy go to.  

Shanahan does such a good job at doing the eye candy, then actually using it to his benefit.  That’s what impresses me so much of him and why (IMO) the praise that Purdy is getting is undeserved.  What’s odd about this, IMO, is that he wasn’t doing this stuff for Trey Lance as much.  Almost like adding the wrinkle of QB who can run was too much or it became too many moving parts.

(of note, since I will now seem to need to do this, I’m not trying to be smarter or fighting, more adding and continuing conversation)

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

Am I allowed to point out that Kyle Shanahan ran the same play 3 times?  This is straight out of the Canada complaint book.  The biggest difference (and what makes Shanahan the better coach) is the use of different players in different places.  

49'er have much much better players than the Steelers.  I am struggling to think of a 49'er on offense ( sans Purdy) that they would drop for a Steeler starter

2 minutes ago, jebrick said:

49'er have much much better players than the Steelers.  I am struggling to think of a 49'er on offense ( sans Purdy) that they would drop for a Steeler starter

No doubt would add that as part of it.  Makes things easier for Shanahan.  I think if he lead our offense it would be really good, but not SF good.