Official TAST - This A'int Steelers Talk Thread

43M

21 hours ago, 43M said:

Harbaugh and Tomlin are kind of two sides of the same coin IMO.   Good, but ultimately extremely flawed and stubborn coaches who have many outdated approaches to running a team in the modern NFL.  

Lamar is more style than substance IMO.   Has never accomplished anything in the postseason and has yet to prove he can play well in the biggest games late in the season and into the postseason.   I actually like Lamar, but $50m a year is extremely steep.   

Bottom line....Im sure Harbaugh and Lamar  would remain contenders for many years to come, but I honestly think their styles somewhat clash, and believe both are just limited enough to where that team would kind of stay in the window we have operated in under Ben for a long time.

Our situation isnt much better (right now), but we still at least have a few years to figure out what Kenny is.  

The fact that Baltimore hasnt paid Lamar tells me there are doubts, and I don't blame them.   Obviously when he is good, he is special....but he isnt there consistently.

If you were GM of the Ravens, who would be your starting QB next year?

1 hour ago, DR43 said:

For the record, Im not saying they should dump Lamar, just that he is a very risky player to invest that heavily into.

If Harbaugh is still there, Id tag and trade Lamar to the NFC   Someone will bite....probably an NFC South team.   Then, sign Derek Carr for 2 years, and draft a QB next offseason.

If they dump Harbaugh and bring in an offensive minded coach with a modern offense, then keeping Lamar might be the better idea, albeit still a risk.

• Like 1

Ravens are in a fascinating position. they could look so different on offense without lamar. I think the defense will keep them competitive while they go through a change if they lose lamar. Bengals seem to be the most stable team in the div with us behind them right now. Browns situation could get ugly as hell if Watson does not live up to that contract

18 hours ago, DR43 said:

just saw a clip whee nick wright said that a qb/HC combo wins SB within their first 5 years together. I never knew this, so lets say Lamar stays in Baltimore, thats actually a good thing according to this stat.  

plus if they sign Lamar,  they will lose other players especially since they paid smith.  Expect the Ravens to slip a bit , still tough but  just a bit less than what we are used to . 

I am really interested to see the Cinci off-season this year. They are in prime position with cap flexibility, but are notoriously stingy and have one of (if not the) poorest owners... I mean, poor in terms of billionaires. Mike Brown has the lowest net worth (not a member of the Tres Commas club) and their team has long had one of the lowest club evaluations (may have changed with recent success though). 

Any guaranteed money needs to sit in escrow. Big reason why the Raiders needed to trade dudes like Mack and why teams like the Bengals (...and the Steelers) don't go big game hunting constantly in FA. 

Conservative estimate: Joe Burrow extension gets 5 years at $55M with 50% guaranteed. That means the poorest rich person needs to put $137.5M into escrow this off-season. 

I am just going off Spotrac for these estimates, but even at one year guarantees they have the space to sign guys, but do they have the up-front cash to spend another $53M to bring back Apple, Bates, Pratt, Hurst, and Bell? We will see how much they open those pockets. I think it's unlikely they do though, so this team is going to look pretty different if they sign Burrow. 

Having the cap space and having the money are two very different things. 

And I bring it up because this is going to be a similar issue we will end up running into (hopefully). Being a football family pays nicely, but not as nicely as being a tech mogul. If we are paying out a huge amount of money, it's going to come at a cost. So hopefully we have the right dude. 

• Like 1

That was a fun game to watch. Both of those teams play callers understand the levers they control and how that makes a defense operate. The Chiefs ran a masterclass for motions and how you take advantage of a defense. Had two big scores because of their counters off the eagles reactions to their guys in motion from the first half. Makes me cringe remembering we need to watch Matt Canada have singular ideas of what a play is again. 

Random thoughts:

- My hot take has been hot garbage about the Chiefs struggling to get back to the Super Bowl. They got rid of Hill became a far more efficient team. Not sure how this works but Mahomes is even better. That dude will never be out of it. 

- Eagles are going to look very interesting next year. $47M in deadcap just from voided contracts and a heavy list of impact FAs. They really pushed their chips into the middle with Hurts on his rookie deal. Now one of the dudes who helped build that talented roster is in Pittsburgh and they are likely to lose 1 coordinator and possible the second. I don't think they fall of a cliff, but this definitely felt like their shot. 

- The Ravens will be the dumbest team in the entire history of sports (not just football....all sports) if they don't go grab anyone from that Eagles team to be their OC. I don't care of it's an intern who just got Steichen coffee. They ran the perfect offense for a guy like Lamar. 

- Can the Cardinals please take Lou Anarumo out of the division? Please and thank you. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

- The Ravens will be the dumbest team in the entire history of sports (not just football....all sports) if they don't go grab anyone from that Eagles team to be their OC. I don't care of it's an intern who just got Steichen coffee. They ran the perfect offense for a guy like Lamar. 

Hurts is a better passer than L. Jackson.  Jackson is a better runner.

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

Hurts is a better passer than L. Jackson.  Jackson is a better runner.

The Eagles are able to create a tremendous amount of space in how they use their QB runs. The Ravens with Roman invited a bunch of folks into the box with heavy and bunch sets. 

Give Lamar that same space and one on ones through good concept... Good night. I don't want that anywhere near them.